• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tocchet on Kravtsov: 'He's got to get in shape to play at this level,'

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Tocchet on Kravtsov: 'He's got to get in shape to play at this level,'

...kid's leaning more and more towards "bust".  He really was light on the puck with us, but he does know how to find open ice to shoot.  It's going to be interesting to see how he pans out.

To think he tried to dictate to our front office where he belongs, and now to see what even a coach like Tocchet evaluates him as....yeah....I'm not too sure about where he's going in the NHL at this point.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anyone who watched Krav play knew he needed to get stronger and quicker. The talent is 100% there though and it will come down to his personal drive and committment to train…and his maturity. Flight risk and all that.

If the talent were there 100%, he'd score in spite of these issues. Like Kessel, Kuznetsov, or guys like Kyle Wellwood.

21 hours ago, Phil said:

Leaning!? He's five years removed from his draft. How much more rope is left?

In this league, it's clear the higher you are picked the longer leash you'll get. I had such high hopes that he'd come out of nowhere this year and be a revelation for us. I don't blame him for his pat actions of wanting to go back to the KHL/trying to protect his own value but next season, if he remains in vancouver will for sure be his last chance. He's no longer with the organization that invested a top 10 pick on him. He's with a team that paid a 7th rounder in 3 years for him. they don't give a shit about him and will move on the moment he doesn't look up to it

34 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

In this league, it's clear the higher you are picked the longer leash you'll get. I had such high hopes that he'd come out of nowhere this year and be a revelation for us. I don't blame him for his pat actions of wanting to go back to the KHL/trying to protect his own value but next season, if he remains in vancouver will for sure be his last chance. He's no longer with the organization that invested a top 10 pick on him. He's with a team that paid a 7th rounder in 3 years for him. they don't give a shit about him and will move on the moment he doesn't look up to it

Sure, that's been the case forever. Vally had some quote about it a year or two ago talking about Kakko, specifically, when he said something like "in this league, if you're a third-round pick, you have to prove you can play in this league. If you're a top pick, you have to prove you can't."

I think he's absolutely right, and Kravtsov, to me, is dangerously close to proving he can't. The fact a ninth overall pick was dumped for a seventh round pick is in and of itself evidence that he's on the edge of an NHL career cliff.

22 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anyone who watched Krav play knew he needed to get stronger and quicker. The talent is 100% there though and it will come down to his personal drive and committment to train…and his maturity. Flight risk and all that.

I don’t know. I’m not trying to say there is no talent, but I’m not seeing anything unique from any other major / minor pro. There is some talent but I don’t see any talent that separates him from any other player. The fact that he doesn’t take his craft seriously just adds a whole other roadblock to him being successful. It’s not good. It’s not good at all. 

46 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I don’t know. I’m not trying to say there is no talent, but I’m not seeing anything unique from any other major / minor pro. There is some talent but I don’t see any talent that separates him from any other player. The fact that he doesn’t take his craft seriously just adds a whole other roadblock to him being successful. It’s not good. It’s not good at all.

I'll do you one further: I don't see the talent, period. There's nothing about his game at all that we've seen that suggests there's some untapped thing that a team can unlock. There isn't even one avenue to look at like speed, size, elite passing skill, whatever. He just exists.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I mean, I guess. Central Scouting had Andersson as the third-highest European skater going into 2017. Bob McKenzie, who was arguably the industry standard for prospects at the time, had him ranked 13th. He went 7th, which is basically the middle ground between the two. I'm not sure he was a "reach" as much as he was the "safe" pick after they failed to move up to take Pettersson (they tried) or Heiskanen (also tried).

Kravtsov was also ranked as the third-best Euro skater in 2019. McKenzie had him going 12th. He went 9th. Again, not really a "reach," but I think it was probably a mistake given the makeup of the team at the time to not just take Wahlstrom.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I guess. Central Scouting had Andersson as the third-highest European skater going into 2017. Bob McKenzie, who was arguably the industry standard for prospects at the time, had him ranked 13th. He went 7th, which is basically the middle ground between the two. I'm not sure he was a "reach" as much as he was the "safe" pick after they failed to move up to take Pettersson (they tried) or Heiskanen (also tried).

Kravtsov was also ranked as the third-best Euro skater in 2019. McKenzie had him going 12th. He went 9th. Again, not really a "reach," but I think it was probably a mistake given the makeup of the team at the time to not just take Wahlstrom.

Probably didnt due their due dilligence to see what was between the ears.  

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

I was sure they were taking Wahlstrom. 

32 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Probably didnt due their due dilligence to see what was between the ears.  

Maybe. Simplest solution, though, is it was just bad luck. Top-10 picks go bust all the time. It's just rare that it happens to the same team back-to-back.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe. Simplest solution, though, is it was just bad luck. Top-10 picks go bust all the time. It's just rare that it happens to the same team back-to-back.

I agree but how many prospects had the issues that Kravtsov had?  thinking he was entitled?  whine his way back home?  still didn't do the required work to make it to the big club as a regular.  

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I agree but how many prospects had the issues that Kravtsov had?  thinking he was entitled?  whine his way back home?  still didn't do the required work to make it to the big club as a regular.  

Oh, that's different. My theory there is that the reason Drury sacked the entire European scouting department was because they were making promises to players like Andersson and Kravtsov that the team couldn't actually keep.

I don't know how you can know that about a player from interviews. I mean, think of a regular job interview. If you asked a candidate "how likely are you to be seflish and entitled?" who on earth is answering that honestly? Even the actually selfish and entitled will say what you want to hear so they get the job.