• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gerard Gallant, Sigh

goondman

Because they're the opposite of better than the sum of their parts. Great coaches can squeeze blood from a stone. They can get more out of less by thinking strategically and tactically about how to make the best use of the tools they're given.

This team is the sum of their parts and nothing more, which is why the team is so easy to pick apart when its supreme offense comes up short and/or its elite goaltending falters even slightly. They win in spite of their lack of tactical coaching based purely on their talent level.

• Bullseye 5
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Because they're the opposite of better than the sum of their parts. Great coaches can squeeze blood from a stone. They can get more out of less by thinking strategically and tactically about how to make the best use of the tools they're given.

This team is the sum of their parts and nothing more, which is why the team is so easy to pick apart when its supreme offense comes up short and/or its elite goaltending falters even slightly. They win in spite of their lack of tactical coaching based purely on their talent level.

did he squeeze blood from a stone on a inaugural Vegas team?  

Could be

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

A lot of luck involved in that too, and it ran out in the Final. Also not a lot of expansion teams get a roster that good, and a Hall of Fame goalie as well.

Not unlike other incidents, Trotz purely out-coached/classed him

17 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I'm sure he's busy devising a new strategy to counter the Devils speed and quickness.  I can't wait to see its unveiling!

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Worst coach they've had since the early 2000's, Ron Low/Brian Trottier days. Horrendous.

Whew, those were some dark days, weren't they

49 minutes ago, CCCP said:

did he squeeze blood from a stone on a inaugural Vegas team?  

Could be

Mostly luck. Ton of grievance fueling all the "outcasts" taken to join an expansion team, and rode extremely hot goaltending (Fleury near .930).

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, goondman said:

Embarrassingly! 

Which begs the question, when do we get our Cooper? 😞

I figure if we don't at least get back to the ECF this season, we still have the "Igor window" open for the next 2 seasons.  It's my best guess, Goondman that we'll see a change after this playoff run.

Hopefully we get my man, Quenneville!!

I'll pee my pants if we pull that one off.  But if anyone can do it, I trust in the Dru!  😃

We should all take a moment to reflect on Mika turning into a top 5 2 way Center and Fox becoming a Norris Trophy winner and Shesty hitting at his apparent peak and Kreider taking it to another level as we skewer GG for his lack of coaching skills.

No guarantee any of that happens under another coach.  Vet players coaches have a way of getting the best out of vets they inherit.  The possible collateral damage with the kids needs to be weighed also.

The problem I have with the "off with his head!" crowd is that for better or worse GG is the Ranger's winningest coach right now and while we can all point at the talent and say that is the reason the facts are that while we point at that talent we should also ask if they are at or near their peaks under his tutelage.

Edited by Br4d
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

We should all take a moment to reflect on Mika turning into a top 5 2 way Center and Fox becoming a Norris Trophy winner and Shesty hitting at his apparent peak and Kreider taking it to another level as we skewer GG for his lack of coaching skills.

No guarantee any of that happens under another coach.  Vet players coaches have a way of getting the best out of vets they inherit.  The possible collateral damage with the kids needs to be weighed also.

The problem I have with the "off with his head!" crowd is that for better or worse GG is the Ranger's winningest coach right now and while we can all point at the talent and say that is the reason the facts are that while we point at that talent we should ask if they are at or near their peaks under his tutelage.

I totally get where you're at, Brad.  I was in favor of Gallant for a while, but now I'm seeing things from both sides of the fence.

This team, as @Phil put it, wins in spite of their poor structure, and they win on their talent and ability.  I'm not too sure what or how Gallant has any stake in that, since he seems to be a more "hands off" kinda coach.

It looking more and more like the lunatics are running the asylum, and someone has to be there to make certain that they stick to the script.  I'm not so sure Gallant is THAT guy.  Time will tell us though in short order.  If we faceplant in the playoffs, it could be the straw that breaks the Snuffleupagus' back!  😉

Yeah, if we exit in round 1 to the Devils there will be a lot of pressure to make a change.  If that happens Drury had better get it right because he'll be firing a 2x 100+ pts coach and if the team steps down somehow with the next guy it will be Drury on the chopping block along side him.

GG's pattern is pretty clear though.  He's the classic vet-friendly player's coach and those guys get maybe 2 or 3 seasons before the inmates are running the asylum and everything degrades.

GG needs to find a second act here and soon or the pattern will repeat.  Winning a cup would be a great second act.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Quoted for finally being right about something.

• LMFAO 2

When's the last time you heard a Ranger say "We just stuck to our system" as part of any post game comments. It's all "We got away from the way we want to play".

The system is there to support quick decisions and pressure situations. They fail spectacularly when they are pressed, because there's no time to read the play and make something out of nothing. When you're rushed or pressed you should be able to make a quick play within the system because you know where your teammate will be.

And fuck the record, Igor fucking won a Vezina trophy playing on a team at the top of the league in HDSCA. It's only due to his greatness and the PP last year that this team wasn't a bubble team.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

When's the last time you heard a Ranger say "We just stuck to our system" as part of any post game comments. It's all "We got away from the way we want to play".

The system is there to support quick decisions and pressure situations. They fail spectacularly when they are pressed, because there's no time to read the play and make something out of nothing. When you're rushed or pressed you should be able to make a quick play within the system because you know where your teammate will be.

And fuck the record, Igor fucking won a Vezina trophy playing on a team at the top of the league in HDSCA. It's only due to his greatness and the PP last year that this team wasn't a bubble team.

All of this. You see it on full display in games when they play controlled opponents like the Devils, Canes, and Isles, who even play structured offense. Look at last night's game as a prime example. I'd tell you to count the number of times the Devils were able to set up prime scoring chances from the middle of the ice, but you'd lose fucking count. Because there was no adjustment made. Gallant probably told them "play better!" and they kinda, sorta did, a little, but still lost.

He's a cheerleader, not a coach.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Ton of grievance fueling all the "outcasts" taken to join an expansion team, and rode extremely hot goaltending (Fleury near .930).

This. No motivation like a bunch of guys being told, “We don’t want you!” Hot goalie too of course. Gallant was perfect for them. He could say, “You bunch of outcast fuckers…go out there and prove ‘em all wrong.” And then just let them play. 

• VINNY! 2