• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jesse Puljujarvi: This Year's Frank Vatrano?

BrooksBurner

cut.jpg

Edmonton has Puljujarvi buried right now, not unlike Florida burying Vatrano. They have zero cap space to work with at the deadline. Pool party has averaged around 20 goals per 82 the last two seasons. Only 4 goals this year on a criminally low 5.5 S%. RFA with a $3M QO this summer, which is easily flipped after season if needed. A 3rd round pick might get it done.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

my god this guy has been a NYR trade target and/or rumor for the last 3-4 years

Hasn’t it been years? Last I remember reading Puljujarvi’s name was Lias Andersson for him when he left Edmonton and was back in Finland. A my problem for your problem.

It makes more sense now. Edmonton pretty much needs to move him if they want to adjust their roster.

35 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I don’t know about this one. I’d almost rather trade for Vatrano again lol 

Literally this. Operation Get the Band Back Together.

I applaud the creativity @BrooksBurner, but he's no Trenin. 🤣 I have very little interest in this guy. He seems destined to help a cellar dweller meet their floor. Future Coyote for sure.

• Phil changed the title to Jesse Puljujarvi: This Year's Frank Vatrano?
1 hour ago, Phil said:

Literally this. Operation Get the Band Back Together.

I applaud the creativity @BrooksBurner, but he's no Trenin. 🤣 I have very little interest in this guy. He seems destined to help a cellar dweller meet their floor. Future Coyote for sure.

Yeah, plus I don't want his disgruntleness anywhere near Kakko or Laf 

There are players to get. He's just not one of them. I'd rather get a pro's pro type player. If Nashville fall out, I think I inquire about Neiderider. A year left after this yeah so that's kinda tough but I'll worry about that in tje off-season. 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not really, he signed a three-year deal. 

Right. Vatrano is not an option unless Anaheim retains significant money the last 2 years of the contract, which is possible. Would they retain half for 2 more years after this? There's value in Vatrano at $1.8M for the next 2 seasons if you're the Rangers.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Right. Vatrano is not an option unless Anaheim retains significant money the last 2 years of the contract, which is possible. Would they retain half for 2 more years after this? There's value in Vatrano at $1.8M for the next 2 seasons if you're the Rangers.

I would give a 1st+ for Vatrano at 50%.

The top 9 would be set for the next 2 years: 

Panarin - Mika - Vatrano

Laf - Chytil - Kakko

Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey

26 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I would give a 1st+ for Vatrano at 50%.

The top 9 would be set for the next 2 years: 

Panarin - Mika - Vatrano

Laf - Chytil - Kakko

Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey

We traded a 4th for him.... I'm not trading a first for him a season later. Two seasons of him is not worth a first rounder. 

Edited by Pete

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

We traded a 4th for him.... I'm not trading a first for him a season later. Two seasons of him is not worth a first rounder. 

Two and a half seasons at 1.8m? I’d argue it is. It fixes a problem with a player we know works here for a long time.

Tampa traded two 1st round picks and two prospects for Hagel who was signed for two more seasons at 1.5m. He was younger and had a better season than Vatrano has now, but Anaheim sucks and we already know Vatrano works here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Two and a half seasons at 1.8m? I’d argue it is. It fixes a problem with a player we know works here for a long time.

Tampa traded two 1st round picks and two prospects for Hagel who was signed for two more seasons at 1.5m. He was younger and had a better season than Vatrano has now, but Anaheim sucks and we already know Vatrano works here.

Agreed. I don't think a late 1st is a big price to pay at all for a 20 goal guy who can float up and down the top 9, at a bargain cap hit during a time when the Rangers need bargain cap hits the most.

52 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed. I don't think a late 1st is a big price to pay at all for a 20 goal guy who can float up and down the top 9, at a bargain cap hit during a time when the Rangers need bargain cap hits the most.

Not only do I not agree that he worked here, specifically--quiet in the playoffs the same way everybody else was... This team's issues are not going to be solved by smallish perimeter wingers... Not even Patrick Kane.

And again, I'm not moving high value assets under this coach. Find the other Vatrano type that you can still get for a fourth rounder. 

Frankly, I don't know why we would lead off with a first rounder anyway... I would do a 3rd + Blais and have them retain less. 

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not only do I not agree that he worked here, specifically--quiet in the playoffs the same way everybody else was... This team's issues are not going to be solved by smallish perimeter wingers... Not even Patrick Kane.

And again, I'm not moving high value assets under this coach. Find the other Vatrano type that you can still get for a fourth rounder. 

Frankly, I don't know why we would lead off with a first rounder anyway... I would do a 3rd + Blais and have them retain less. 

Vatrano actually fits the bill perfectly under this coach. You are right - no need to ship a first. But blais and something for some retention on it is really just solid value without missing anything relevant. I’m in the same camp if not trying to make splashes with this dude behind the bench, but vatrano shoots the puck well and this lineup needs shooters, and he’s not going to cripple anything. Plus I don’t think there’s anyone we really want available now anyway, so if he can be us at around 2 per for basically free, to me that’s a great move to make 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Vatrano actually fits the bill perfectly under this coach. You are right - no need to ship a first. But blais and something for some retention on it is really just solid value without missing anything relevant. I’m in the same camp if not trying to make splashes with this dude behind the bench, but vatrano shoots the puck well and this lineup needs shooters, and he’s not going to cripple anything. Plus I don’t think there’s anyone we really want available now anyway, so if he can be us at around 2 per for basically free, to me that’s a great move to make 

I'm with you. Player has value, just not first round pick value.

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

Frankly, I don't know why we would lead off with a first rounder anyway... I would do a 3rd + Blais and have them retain less

If that was possible then sure, but there’s no way Anaheim gives away Vatrano + two seasons with a dead cap hit for a 3rd rounder and an AHL player.

3rd and Blais would be fine if we took the entire cap hit. 1st + Blais if we want him at 50% for 2+ years.

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

If that was possible then sure, but there’s no way Anaheim gives away Vatrano + two seasons with a dead cap hit for a 3rd rounder and an AHL player.

3rd and Blais would be fine if we took the entire cap hit. 1st + Blais if we want him at 50% for 2+ years.

Yea, I agree... I just can't see giving up much more than a third rounder. Even a second feels too high, but I guess that 50% retention... There's just no way I'm giving up a first for a guy we had for a fourth. 

Regardless, they didn't sign the guy for 3 years to trade him in Year One. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Regardless, they didn't sign the guy for 3 years to trade him in Year One. 

They’re gonna be bad the next 3 years so if they can get a 1st for a 28y old I’m sure they’ll atleast consider it.

It won’t happen anyway, but I’ll rather do something like this than trade a 1st+ for a rental and have the same problem the next year AGAIN.

10 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

They’re gonna be bad the next 3 years so if they can get a 1st for a 28y old I’m sure they’ll atleast consider it.

It won’t happen anyway, but I’ll rather do something like this than trade a 1st+ for a rental and have the same problem the next year AGAIN.

I understand why you're saying this, but it doesn't take into account the real value of a first rounder.

It's like being pissed that you lost the string in your last three $50 hoodies... Doesn't mean you go by $150 hoodie.