• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?

Phil

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It's not like Othmann is tearing up the OHL. 2 goals in 10 games for his new club, 13 in 26 in total. Pacing 32 in 64 (had 50 in 65 last season).

The forced year for high pick 19 year olds in the OHL so often turns out to be a lost year.  Think of how he could be developing at Hartford.

Yes, LaF has all the signs of an early bloomer, and there were whispers to that effect when he was drafted.  I see him as a 25 goal 60 point guy in a few years, maybe sooner,  whether here or elsewhere.  A Buchnevich.  Trading him does little good.  No cap relief and just gets us someone else's underachiever.  One thing about LaF is that he has a good head on his shoulders.  He's not the personality problem that most 1st or 2nd pick busts have been, and that should limit him to being a moderate bust, not a flaming bust.

Players waiving NMCs always involve circumstances not present for Kreider and Trouba.  The team needs to open up cap space is not one of those circumstances.  Have fun with your fantasy league team, and forget about trading them in real life until those clauses are expiring or close to it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

The forced year for high pick 19 year olds in the OHL so often turns out to be a lost year.  Think of how he could be developing at Hartford.

Yes, LaF has all the signs of an early bloomer, and there were whispers to that effect when he was drafted.  I see him as a 25 goal 60 point guy in a few years, maybe sooner,  whether here or elsewhere.  A Buchnevich.  Trading him does little good.  No cap relief and just gets us someone else's underachiever.  One thing about LaF is that he has a good head on his shoulders.  He's not the personality problem that most 1st or 2nd pick busts have been, and that should limit him to being a moderate bust, not a flaming bust.

Players waiving NMCs always involve circumstances not present for Kreider and Trouba.  The team needs to open up cap space is not one of those circumstances.  Have fun with your fantasy league team, and forget about trading them in real life until those clauses are expiring or close to it.

The kid hustle s his ass off ,plays defense ,hits ,not afraid to mix it up

I don't see him as a big hitter and what is he mixing up on a regular basis? There is really no threat of him dropping the gloves, I get the feeling he's hardly taken seriously by any team as someone who's bring any edge to play against. Will he grab somebody from behind in a scrum that's already tied up, yeah. Will he square up one on one, haven't seen it maybe I blinked and missed one.  He seems way to happy just being out there. For example wtf was that belly flop onto the pile after the Kakko goal the other night, seriously got douche chills from it, you would of thought we won the cup  just not a smart move. To his credit for a guy who has consistently underachieved since day one he knows how to have a good time. 

@josh did find the highlight goal that will be featured on his headstone.

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

We don’t have cap problems. I’m not sure where this is coming from. We have a tad under 17m as it is in cap space next offseason. 
we need

1. a backup G

2. Resign an RFA Miller with no leverage

3. Halak? Ok so we need a new 6th D

4. Reup Chytil with arb rights

5. LaFreniere RFA

6. Kravtsov with arb rights

7. Gauthier with arb rights

8. Replace Blais/Vesey

lets ballpark things. If Chytil gets 5m on an arb deal, regardless of years, a backup goalie for 2m , laf at exactly what Kakko got at 2.1, Key gets 2.5m,  you’re talking about  a tad under 12m for those guys. That leaves 4-5m for a 6th d, 4th line fwd, and likely a Kravtsov replacement or arb offer that won’t be anywhere near high. gets tight where you find a Blais/Vesey guy but if the cap only goes up 1m as predicted, there will be plenty of value guys still out there. 

so basically going with the same roster and unable to upgrade? plus all vets are a year older.  Even if you re-sign all RFA's, you're still have Vesey/or some other scrub playing top 6 RW and Goodrow playing top 6 and not where he's supposed to.  Plus you still have a gaping hole on LD.  There's no cap room to upgrade the team, the team that will probably not make the playoffs this season or be out in the first round

Edited by CCCP

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

I don't see him as a big hitter and what is he mixing up on a regular basis. There is really no threat of him dropping gloves, I get the feeling he's hardly taken seriously by any team as someone who's bring any edge to play against really. Will he grab somebody from behind in a scrum that's already tied up, yeah. Will he square up one on one, haven't seen it maybe I blinked and missed one.  He seems way to happy just being out there. For example wtf was that belly flop onto the pile after the Kakko goal the other night, seriously got douche chills from it, you would of thought we won the cup  just not a smart move. To his credit for a guy who has consistently underachieved since day one he knows how to have a good time. 

@josh did find the highlight goal that will be featured on his headstone.

Great call. I thought the same thing.

It is weird though. On the one hand, we were begging Kakko to act more confidently since year 1. Always dejected. On the other hand, Lafreniere looks too confident for what he's been bringing to the table, which insinuates he thinks everything is hunky dory. The two kids just can't win, can they?

46 minutes ago, CCCP said:

so basically going with the same roster and unable to upgrade? plus all vets are a year older.  Even if you re-sign all RFA's, you're still have Vesey/or some other scrub playing top 6 RW and Goodrow playing top 6 and not where he's supposed to.  Plus you still have a gaping hole on LD.  There's no cap room to upgrade the team, the team that will probably not make the playoffs this season or be out in the first round

Plus all young guys are a year older with more experience. At some point this team has to expect the upgrades to come within. Kravtsov and Kakko specifically were drafted to be top 6 RWers. If that happens you don’t have Vesey or Goodrow sniffing top 6 minutes barring injury. If they trade a Kravtsov, you likely see an eventual shift to RW by Kreider. His game really doesn’t depend as much on what side he’s on. That would allow Alf to slot up.

No roster is going to be perfect but at some point you have to either semi hand the keys off to the youngens within reason or move on completely. If you move on however, then you intentionally are creating cap problems because you can’t bring in a serious contract. This idea of the, trading big contracts is a pipe dream. The Rangers brought these guys in or retained them intentionally.The way the roster is currently set up, there is a decent amount of contract staggering to allow the young guys to get paid at different times and have the vet contracts of Trouba and Kreider unlock move,ent clauses in 24/25. Neither likely goes anywhere before that. 

Team is going to look different after the trade deadline any way.

There's no way they are going into the playoffs with RW the way it currently is and with Hajek the 3rd pair LD.

If Chytil doesn't get moved in a trade they'll worry about how to sign him after hopefully a long playoff run.

Since they won't try Kreider at RW now I don't see it ever being done.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

14 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Team is going to look different after the trade deadline any way.

There's no way they are going into the playoffs with RW the way it currently is and with Hajek the 3rd pair LD.

If Chytil doesn't get moved in a trade they'll worry about how to sign him after hopefully a long playoff run.

Since they won't try Kreider at RW now I don't see it ever being done.

IF they're going into the playoffs.  

10 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They'll be close enough to a playoff position that they'll be buyers at the deadline.

so trade their assets for rentals that they wont be able to keep for a chance to exit in the first round?  They're not contenders.  They're not a piece or two away from glory

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

so trade their assets for rentals that they wont be able to keep for a chance to exit in the first round?  They're not contenders.  They're not a piece or two away from glory

Yes they are.

If the pieces were Messier and Leetch. 😭

• Bullseye 1

19 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Have to work with what you got. If Drury believes in Gallant being the right guy then I say fuck it and go for it. A prospect drafted in the first this year is going to take 3 years to make it and then play 12 min a night tops for 3 years after that anyway. Worthless for the Rangers. Any team can get hot at the right time. Seen it too many times before

Edited by rmc51

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Have to work with what you got. If Drury believes in Gallant being the right guy then I say fuck it and go for it. A prospect drafted in the first this year is going to take 3 years to make it and then play 12 min a night tops for 3 years after that anyway. Worthless for the Rangers. Any team can get hot at the right time. Seen it too many times before

we did this before, then came the dark ages.  remember?  dont trade away your future on rentals when you have no chance at the championship.  

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

you're not cut out to be a Devils' fan.  You have no patience and the right mindset for building a contender.  Brace yourself for a lifetime of disappointments 

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

we did this before, then came the dark ages.  remember?  dont trade away your future on rentals when you have no chance at the championship.  

I didnt say I liked it. I want Trotz. But I know what’s going to happen. Drury’s staying with Gallant and it’s whatever

26 minutes ago, CCCP said:

There are no half measures here. If you think you have a good team and the right coach/system, which Drury clearly does, then you have to keep building without regrets (until later in hindsight). 

Whether or not it's the right decision, it's the right thought process.

Sitting on your hands at the deadline when you do have some capspace is a half measure and is detrimental.

• Applause 1

2 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

There are no half measures here. If you think you have a good team and the right coach/system, which Drury clearly does, then you have to keep building without regrets (until later in hindsight). 

Whether or not it's the right decision, it's the right thought process.

Sitting on your hands at the deadline when you do have some capspace is a half measure and is detrimental.

If you think you have a good team and the right coach/system, you should be making pizza, not GMing a billion dollar enterprise.  This is not the right coach with no system to take this particular squad to the promised land.  Everyone sees it.  If Trotz was at the helm, i may think differently. 

11 minutes ago, CCCP said:

If you think you have a good team and the right coach/system, you should be making pizza, not GMing a billion dollar enterprise.  This is not the right coach with no system to take this particular squad to the promised land.  Everyone sees it.  If Trotz was at the helm, i may think differently. 

Trust me, I'm with you. But I think Drury sees it differently or we would have seen other moves.

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Trust me, I'm with you. But I think Drury sees it differently or we would have seen other moves.

i think you could be right. He may be waiting for the deadline to acquire Kane with the cap room available.  It would be a travesty in my opinion because Kane will cost an arm and a leg.  

• Keeps it 100 1

20 hours ago, cupalife said:

Organizational depth and possible replacements from within don't exist for Trouba.  They do at wing.  In fact there are big time prospects including our #1 overall being blocked by Panarin and Kreider.  

Are you watching Schneider play at all? I'm not one to constantly shit on Trouba, but I'd have zero issue playing Schneider on Troubas spot from here on out. Trouba is playing on the "3rd pair" right now, but it's obliviously more of a spreading out the minutes a bit smarter and giving Trouba the worst partner available.  

Lafrenière is playing with the teams top center for the last 4 games.  He's not exactly crushing the opportunity (Again). 

I just don't understand how you can't grasp that no team is going to be able to afford Panarin without retention. If you're going to retain the type of money needed,  it becomes fruitless. Why bother? 

• JIMMY! 1