• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #23) Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils — The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing the Rangers They Were Good

Phil

5 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

How is it that the Rangers have a recent first overall and a recent second overall and neither one is as fast as 75 percent of the Devils' forwards?

Incidentally, speaking of first overalls, here is a list of all who have played for the Rangers since the universal draft started in 1969.

LaF

Nash

Berard

Daigle

Lindros

Lawton 

LaFleur

That is what floors me about both Kakko and Laf.  They can't skate worth shit.  How is that not a red flag when scouting them?  I'm not saying they can't overcome it but to be rated so high when they skate in mud is really odd

It's just a matter of time at this point, gang!  Changes need to be made, and even though this team is slumping, I really don't feel anything great coming out of this squad anytime soon.

...And here are the Top 18 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT, sponsored by: Checkered Cab...the official getaway Taxi for our "soon-to-be" former head coach.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

You'd have to ask @Ozzythat. I'd imagine it happens often when he gets home from closing the bar nightly. 

Only when I stop at Taco bell first!!!

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Have fun with this one, @Ozzy.

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Ted Lasso died so Jack Hughes could live.

4 hours ago, Karan said:

So Gallant took the entire team into his own hands? Not sure that's the kind of players coach we were hoping for...

3 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

I’m tapping out….I’ll tune in again after the holidays…I don’t need the extra stress…

3 hours ago, Lord Al said:

According to my sources, there is a taxi out in front of Madison square garden

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Bedard would be Brad Isbister here or something.

2 hours ago, cupalife said:

I think he ate himself

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This game has played out akin to scoring with the hottest girl in the bar and then feeling that burning feeling shortly thereafter, only to find genital warts appear after that. Woof.

2 hours ago, cupalife said:

Player coach Brian Boyle

You made @Keirikwet.

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

If Panarin gets any closer to the board they might confuse him with the virtual ads

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

This team stinks.. I’m talking stinks worse than Sam’s dentures after he drinks his cabbage and stool softener smoothie. 

Chewing gum fears Tom Renney.

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Did hank dye his hair black?

2 hours ago, josh said:

NWO Hank, brother 

21-22: No Quit in New York

22-23: No, Quit in New York

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Not sure if this is the right move but his salad dressings are fantastic 

I really got a kick outta "NWO Hank", @josh…but the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @jsm7302 who likened this year's campaign to getting burning warts on our winkies.

That's actually pretty accurate in my estimation at this point.

• Like 2
  • LMFAO 1

6 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

Definitely fun. Right now, they need that one player who can get in someone's face in the locker-room, on the bench, and isn't afraid to dial it up while on the ice. Anybody available?

Then slam a penalty box door, get punched in the face by the asshole backup goalie, then get put on waivers..  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It's just a matter of time at this point, gang!  Changes need to be made, and even though this team is slumping, I really don't feel anything great coming out of this squad anytime soon.

...And here are the Top 18 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT, sponsored by: Checkered Cab...the official getaway Taxi for our "soon-to-be" former head coach.

Only when I stop at Taco bell first!!!

I really got a kick outta "NWO Hank", @josh…but the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @jsm7302 who likened this year's campaign to getting burning warts on our winkies.

That's actually pretty accurate in my estimation at this point.

Woke up this morning and it still burns.....

Hoping the doc (Drury) prescribes something to ease the pain.

• LMFAO 1

Let's face it; one of our goals was flukey and Shesty made a couple of real good saves in the first. Could easily have been 4-1 going into the second. 

The team shows flashes of knowing what they are doing but the other 40 minutes of the game they look disjointed with missed defensive assignments constantly.

...can't clear the zone

...turnovers in our own zone

...turnovers in the NZ

...turnovers at the opposition blueline

Same shit every game.  I'm thinking if we all see it, I think the powers that be see it too.  Question is simply "WHEN" are we gonna make the change.

In the meantime, there's Wordle!  LOL

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

...can't clear the zone

...turnovers in our own zone

...turnovers in the NZ

...turnovers at the opposition blueline

Same shit every game.  I'm thinking if we all see it, I think the powers that be see it too.  Question is simply "WHEN" are we gonna make the change.

In the meantime, there's Wordle!  LOL

Don’t forget o-zone Ps. 

• Keeps it 100 1

• Phil unpinned this topic

Fundamentally, this team hasn't changed. It's the same formula it's been for years. Elite goalie plus elite power play plus below average 5v5 scoring. Last year, all three were true, and the first two were so true that they more than made up for the third. This year, only the third is true, hence the crash back to earth. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Time to cut some dead weight and bring in new blood. The bottom six needs to bring more energy. 

I’ve seen enough of Blais. Or rather I should say I forgot he was on the team. Bring up rydhal, guy was flying around in preseason. 

need to replace carpenter as well. Guy hasn’t done a thing in a rangers sweater. Can Cuylle play center?

Fox played almost 30 minutes last night… need to put Trouba with Schneider (3rd pair is where he belongs anyway) and find a way to bring in a solid 2nd pair dman that actually knows how to play defense. I don’t dislike jones but I’m ready to move on. 

NYR are possibly, potentially, the most prolific pros of persistent, perimeter play.

I don't think there is another NHL team, or AHL team for that matter, that can match our board play. Impressive just how well we can skim that puck along the base of the boards and manage to keep puck possession for so long...on a powerplay and at even strength too! Why shoot when you're having so much fun?

And our 'curl-to-the boards' move? WOW? Just wow. Panarin man, you are one skilled motherfucker. I don't see any other player who can gain the zone with speed and rather than drive to the net, you skillfully stop while turning into the boards. Fantastic skate work dude. Holy shit that's cool.

Me thinks that youz-guys are missing the finer points of the game by just wanting goals. BORING!! Pay attention to the plethora of little, non-hockey winning things we do sooooooo well and you'll soon appreciate NY Rangers hockey. While the casual fan only looks for goals and wins then walks around with stomach aches due to mounting losses, REAL hockey insiders get a little chubbed watching stick taping, skate tying '101' and how to make those awesome snow showers fly up to the glass. 

*slowly crawls toward the exit*

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I don't know what happened, but I just ain't feeling ANYTHING from this group.  Urgency = 0 at this point and it's becoming very tough to watch this team and think they're gonna pull everything together anytime soon.

Yup, everything about this team look stale right now.

- Despite Turk's recycling of the lines, their 5-on-5 offensive approach doesn't look threatening in the least. 

- The PP #1 looks extremely benign and predictable. Sure they're able to get a decent amount of zone time and looks, but there isn't much mobility or creativity at all. They're also getting far too much ice time. Given the lack of success on the PP, I would completely mix up PP #1 and #2 and throw some new units out there and give them equal ice time where possible.

- Not even going to touch the leaky defensive and below average goaltending with a ten foot pole right now.

- But the biggest thing for me is that last year's team seemed to have this resiliency where they'd show the ability to bounce back when their backs were against the wall. You always got this feeling that they were never truly out of it. They had this chip on their shoulder that it was their birthright to find a way to win. This team is the complete opposite. Once they're up, it almost feels like they're playing more nervous instead of relaxed, as if they're waiting to lose. And once they're behind, forget about it. Zero emotion, no fight or desperation to get back into the game. They're happy to just play the perimeter, get their low/medium grade opportunities and run out the clock. It's an unbelievable psyche if you think about it, how a professional sports team goes from what they did in the playoffs just a few months ago to having such little competitive desire. I don't know if that falls on the coaching staff or team leadership, but I suspect a bit of both, and the longer you allow it to fester, the harder it'll be to eradicate that mentality from the room so hopefully upper management is taking notice and has some plan to shake things up, cause for fuck's sake as a fan, this shit is hard to watch. 

Edited by Karan
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Karan said:

Yup, everything about this team look stale right now.

- Despite Turk's recycling of the lines, their 5-on-5 offensive approach doesn't look threatening in the least. 

- The PP #1 looks extremely benign and predictable. Sure they're able to get a decent amount of zone time and looks, but there isn't much mobility or creativity at all. They're also getting far too much ice time. Given the lack of success on the PP, I would completely mix up PP #1 and #2 and throw some new units out there and give them equal ice time where possible.

- Not even going to touch the leaky defensive and below average goaltending with a ten foot pole right now.

- But the biggest thing for me is that last year's team seemed to have this resiliency where they'd show the ability to bounce back when their backs were against the wall. You always got this feeling that they were never truly out of it. They had this chip on their shoulder that it was their birthright to find a way to win. This team is the complete opposite. Once they're up, it almost feels like they're playing more nervous instead of relaxed, as if they're waiting to lose. And once they're behind, forget about it. Zero emotion, no fight or desperation to get back into the game. They're happy to just play the perimeter, get their low/medium grade opportunities and run out the clock. It's an unbelievable psyche if you think about it, how a professional sports team goes from what they did in the playoffs just a few months ago to having such little competitive desire. I don't know if that falls on the coaching staff or team leadership, but I suspect a bit of both, and the longer you allow it to fester, the harder it'll be to eradicate that mentality from the room so hopefully upper management is taking notice and has some plan to shake things up, cause for fuck's sake as a fan, this shit is hard to watch. 

It's a little bit of everything, I think Karan.  I see the inability to clear the zone effectively, constant turnovers on forced passes, etc.... We can go on for days....

The only consistent thing with this team is inconsistency!!!  Everyone seems to be looking at the other guy for answers.  I don't think the answers are that easy though.  We can mix lines until we're blue in the face...shit ain't happenin'!  Trades ain't helping either.  The system, or lack-thereof is what's failing.  You can bring in Kane....Hell, you can bring in the Undertaker too 😉 , and it isn't going to fly.  Eventually we'll have to defend!

This is a structural thing and it has been for a long time.  We can only hide the cracks in the foundation for so long, but eventually the house is gonna crumble.  I think we're seeing it now....and it ain't pretty.

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

NYR are possibly, potentially, the most prolific pros of persistent, perimeter play.

I don't think there is another NHL team, or AHL team for that matter, that can match our board play. Impressive just how well we can skim that puck along the base of the boards and manage to keep puck possession for so long...on a powerplay and at even strength too! Why shoot when you're having so much fun?

And our 'curl-to-the boards' move? WOW? Just wow. Panarin man, you are one skilled motherfucker. I don't see any other player who can gain the zone with speed and rather than drive to the net, you skillfully stop while turning into the boards. Fantastic skate work dude. Holy shit that's cool.

Me thinks that youz-guys are missing the finer points of the game by just wanting goals. BORING!! Pay attention to the plethora of little, non-hockey winning things we do sooooooo well and you'll soon appreciate NY Rangers hockey. While the casual fan only looks for goals and wins then walks around with stomach aches due to mounting losses, REAL hockey insiders get a little chubbed watching stick taping, skate tying '101' and how to make those awesome snow showers fly up to the glass. 

*slowly crawls toward the exit*

Don't forget the rink turns.  When did it become ok to turn the puck over than lazily rink turn yourself back on the back check?  I can hear my high school coach yelling clear across the arena now.  Nothing pissed him off more.  It's lazy and disinterested.  The kings of the rink turn on this team you guessed it Panarin and Kreider.

You know what the quickest, easiest and most effective FIX for this team is? Their heads. 

Let's face it, the skill didn't just disappear from last year. The ability didn't vaporize with the moves of Strome, Vitrano, Copp, Reaves, et. al. For the most part, their collective headspace is different.

Every person on the team collecting a check is part of this. Had this drop-off been due to a post-Cup hangover, we wouldn't like it but could better understand it. But heck, these guys had a sniff last year. They said to a man that they want it. Wanted it more this year. 

We started the season like we meant it too. WTF happened?