• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Been a Big Fan of Gallant but Man, This Team Can't Score Even Strength

Shesty Cola

18 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Honeymoon over 

Firing squad  next

Ummm… a little early for that. But his leash isn’t all too long I don’t believe.

I don’t think he survives past January if this persists. They’ve already lost points, IMO 6-8 points that they absolutely should have earned. 

The fact is, they had a 50+ wins and went to ECF last season. That buys you something as a HC. Plus, they still have 75% of their schedule remaining. 

But he’s got to find something that works 5v5. And soon. If they’re playing this same middling, choppy, inconsistent hockey, wherein they are completely reliant on the PP, Igor, and a few stars, in say, 6-8 weeks then a change could very well happen. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ummm… a little early for that. But his leash isn’t all too long I don’t believe.

I don’t think he survives past January if this persists. They’ve already lost points, IMO 6-8 points that they absolutely should have earned. 

The fact is, they had a 50+ wins and went to ECF last season. That buys you something as a HC. Plus, they still have 75% of their schedule remaining. 

But he’s got to find something that works 5v5. And soon. If they’re playing this same middling, choppy, inconsistent hockey, wherein they are completely reliant on the PP, Igor, and a few stars, in say, 6-8 weeks then a change could very well happen. 

I think the Devils stole our mojo

40 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

I think the Devils stole our mojo

The Devils will come back to earth. 
Sooner or later.

That team is good. Don’t get me wrong.

But there’s some smoke and mirrors there.

It might not even occur in the regular season.

But an early playoff exit is a certainty with them.

Id be shocked if they win more than a round. 

They are not as good as their record says.

They’re just a hot team that’s been taking everyone by surprise. 

It will end. I believe. 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:15 AM, Pete said:

The issue is that the only thing they produce is chances, they don't produce goals. 

I would kill for a guy who is regularly in the slot 15-20 feet from the goal and taking the damn shot when it comes his way.  Nobody does that.

When Panarin gets in there he passes the puck out, often getting somebody a shot but it is a much worse chance then the one he had if he had just unloaded when he penetrated.

Zibanejad hangs by his spot and sometimes he gets the one-timer, which is great, but often he can't get it off and he winds up passing it down low to nobody who will shoot the damn puck or kicking it behind him to the point where we freaking rinse and repeat.

Kreider?  I don't even know what Kreider is doing this year but hanging in front of the net waiting for a deflection or setting a screen isn't happening as much as it did last year.

The whole damn team is playing keep away in the offensive zone and then screwing up the shot at the end.  I don't think I've ever seen a Rangers team that is as good at moving the puck in the offensive zone and I'm pretty sure I've never seen one as bad at finishing.

Edited by Br4d

11 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

The Devils will come back to earth. 
Sooner or later.

That team is good. Don’t get me wrong.

But there’s some smoke and mirrors there.

It might not even occur in the regular season.

But an early playoff exit is a certainty with them.

Id be shocked if they win more than a round. 

They are not as good as their record says.

They’re just a hot team that’s been taking everyone by surprise. 

It will end. I believe. 

You know what though? That was the Rangers in a nutshell last season and the Isles the season before that.

It's a game of hot potato in this division. One team gets rolling and does way better than they should. Then the next season is a step back. For the Isles, last season  was a huge step back after thinking they had tge ultimate playoff roster and the best 4th line in hockey. 

Maybe it's the Rangers turn. They really don't look good. At all. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

You know what though? That was the Rangers in a nutshell last season and the Isles the season before that.

It's a game of hot potato in this division. One team gets rolling and does way better than they should. Then the next season is a step back. For the Isles, last season  was a huge step back after thinking they had tge ultimate playoff roster and the best 4th line in hockey. 

Maybe it's the Rangers turn. They really don't look good. At all. 

Maybe. It’s a fair point you’re making.

I just think the Devils are 20 games in, getting goaltending that they probably won’t be able to sustain, though I think Vanecek is very good, just not quite this good.

Devils are playing good team hockey right now and it’s a pretty talented roster. Hughes and Hischier have really become excellent players. 
If you look at their schedule though, during this streak, they haven’t exactly played top teams during the run. Most of these wins have been vs teams that aren’t exactly fantastic or playing particularly well right now. Couple wins each vs Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa. Montreal, Vancouver, Arizona. Columbus.

Thats 10 of the 13. 

Not taking anything away from them. Just trying to put it in perspective 

9 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Maybe. It’s a fair point you’re making.

I just think the Devils are 20 games in, getting goaltending that they probably won’t be able to sustain, though I think Vanecek is very good, just not quite this good.

Devils are playing good team hockey right now and it’s a pretty talented roster. Hughes and Hischier have really become excellent players. 
If you look at their schedule though, during this streak, they haven’t exactly played top teams during the run. Most of these wins have been vs teams that aren’t exactly fantastic or playing particularly well right now. Couple wins each vs Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa. Montreal, Vancouver, Arizona. Columbus.

Thats 10 of the 13. 

Not taking anything away from them. Just trying to put it in perspective 

IDK. There's always years where a team just has it. Puck luck, good goaltending and good special teams. Somehow it just works. The more I watch the Rangers,  the more I think that last season was just their year. The adrenaline,  the poise, the excitement hit on all cylinders. It was a lot of next man up. A lot of guys going on their own little runs just in time to pick up where another guy was going cold.

But most of it was more or less Kreider finally having a big year, Shesterkin being godly, Zibanejad getting confident,  Fox being a game changer and Panarin taking it easy, yet still piling up points. They got through the season by riding the PP. Maybe Trouba playing more the style we expected helped in other areas. It definitely would set a tone. Sometimes things tome themselves out perfectly.  

Anyway, I'm going off point. 

Maybe it's just their year to achieve? Who thought the Rangers were going to keep the pace they got on last season? Not many.