• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Julien Gauthier Redemption Tour?

Phil

There's not a ton of scoring going on here, but the player on the ice looks light years ahead of the player we've seen these last few years. He's in every scrum, has shown real flashes of offensive talent for a bottom-six player, and even force-choked Travis Sanheim into submission. All in four NHL games this year.

Maybe a late-blooming Carl Hagelin-type after all?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 2

• Phil changed the title to The Julien Gauthier Redemption Tour?
10 minutes ago, Phil said:

There's not a ton of scoring going on here, but the player on the ice looks light years ahead of the player we've seen these last few years. He's in every scrum, has shown real flashes of offensive talent for a bottom-six player, and even force-choked Travis Sanheim into submission. All in four NHL games this year.

Maybe a late-blooming Carl Hagelin-type after all?

I'll roll with it.  I like what I've seen from him so far, and yes....it looks like he's found something. 

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with @The Dude, and pulling for this kid.  We sure can use a force on that bottom six.  Maybe he can be an answer, instead of a question mark going forward.  But so far, I'm impressed with this sample size effort he's showing.

Always liked Gauthier. Not as much as @The Dude, but I’ve always thought he could be a 20 or 30 goal guy in the right situation. I still think that, but it was evident if he was going to earn his stripes here it was going to have to be in the bottom 6. If he keeps his role there to stick around, there’s no telling what comes of his career. Never know if/when that big opportunity in a top 6 might come again, but I think he’ll be prepared to grab it by the balls. Not making the roster and then clearing waivers, which told him nobody wanted to gamble on him even for free, had to be a massive wake up call. He’s brought some edge and desperation to his game this time around which makes him a more legitimate bottom 6 player.

Just now, Kevin said:

It’s going to take me a little longer to jump in on this one. Consistency has always been my biggest knock against him and this year’s sample size is too small still.

I can dig this, Kev.  ....just hoping we have a solution already "in house".  He can be exactly one of those pieces we need down bottom.  We've got a long time until the playoffs, so hopefully he can make even more progress!

Hockey is so weird, two weeks ago "everyone" wanted him gone, now he has a "redemption tour" thread.

I missed the Arizona and Dallas games, but I like what I saw from him yesterday. His size and speed (and lack of hands) is perfect for a bottom 6 role. He just needs to get better defensively and learn how to utilize his body a bit more.

Stepping up for Fox in a scrum is a start, but he needs to keep it up.

22 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Hockey is so weird, two weeks ago "everyone" wanted him gone, now he has a "redemption tour" thread.

I missed the Arizona and Dallas games, but I like what I saw from him yesterday. His size and speed (and lack of hands) is perfect for a bottom 6 role. He just needs to get better defensively and learn how to utilize his body a bit more.

Stepping up for Fox in a scrum is a start, but he needs to keep it up.

Two weeks ago, he wasn't this player. At all. He was a warm body, at best. It's not that hockey is weird, it's that the variables have completely changed. What's weird is that it's happening as late as it is. He's 25. It's possible he's just a late bloomer, but late bloomers are rarities.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ll be impressed if he does this for a whole season. We’ve seen good stretches with him before albeit maybe not this good. 

I don't recall any stretches. Maybe a few shifts, but nothing that ever went game-to-game like this. Maybe the AHL assignment was the wake up call he needed?

16 minutes ago, siddious said:

Hope so- he’s got all the tools to be an effective nhl’r. 

Right. And more specifically, to provide bottom-six upside. The Rangers' current group is pretty vanilla. There are no real standouts outside of Chytil, from time-to-time, when he's healthy, and Goodrow (in the playoffs, mostly). Lots of warm bodies. Lots of guys who eat minutes, but don't offer anything unique. Gauthier does.

• Like 1

no, he's not a NHL player all of a sudden just because he chocked someone for 7 seconds.  He scored a highlight reel goal but it will be another 25 or so games until he scores another one.  He was involved in a scrum but other than that i dont even remember him putting a shot on goal.  For him to become any type of offensive contributor, he has to be able to at least put some shots on goal

35 minutes ago, CCCP said:

no, he's not a NHL player all of a sudden just because he chocked someone for 7 seconds.  He scored a highlight reel goal but it will be another 25 or so games until he scores another one.  He was involved in a scrum but other than that i dont even remember him putting a shot on goal.  For him to become any type of offensive contributor, he has to be able to at least put some shots on goal

At this point Simon, I'd take him over Kravtsov, who hasn't even recorded a shot on goal!

All Day!!!

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Gauthier COULD be a very good bottom six player if he continues what he's doing right now.  THIS is the player, and the type of play that I wanna see out of him.

it's like you didnt watch him play for the last 3 years and last night's game was the first game you saw him play.  he is what he is at this point IMO

7 minutes ago, CCCP said:

it's like you didnt watch him play for the last 3 years and last night's game was the first game you saw him play.  he is what he is at this point IMO

Nah man, this is different.  WAY different!  Yeah, he still has hands of stone, but he's playing a different game.  I think the light switch has turned on for this kid, finally.  He isn't going to be Tom Wilson, but he can be that 6' 4" mucker, with speed, strength and the ability to drive a 4th line in the playoffs.

We have a ton of time to develop this guy for what we're going to need him for come playoff time.  Right now he's giving us solutions instead of problems.  THAT'S what I like!

Edited by Ozzy

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nah man, this is different.  WAY different!  Yeah, he still has hands of stone, but he's playing a different game.  I think the light switch has turned on for this kid, finally.  He isn't going to be Tom Wilson, but he can be that 6' 4" mucker, with speed, strength and the ability to drive a 4th line in the playoffs.

We have a ton of time to develop this guy for what we're going to need him for come playoff time.  Right now he's giving us solutions instead of problems.  THAT'S what I like!

lol...man, i need whatever it is you're smoking.  Rangers dominated the flyers for 2 and a half periods and Goat had no shots on goal.  I think even Shesty came close to a shot on goal..lol

• LMFAO 1

55 minutes ago, CCCP said:

lol...man, i need whatever it is you're smoking.  Rangers dominated the flyers for 2 and a half periods and Goat had no shots on goal.  I think even Shesty came close to a shot on goal..lol

The choke hold trumps shots on goal!!  LOL