• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Divergent Duo

Pete

Seems like Zib and CK need a break. They're not on the same page, neither player seems to be working as hard. They might have let good get to them, and think it's going to come easy.

I'd split them up for a few games, with the added benefit of moving Trochek off Panarin line and maybe having two players benefit from KK's ability to hold pucks and make plays. 

Panarin Zib Lafreniere

Kreider Trochek Kakko 

CK looked fine on the PP just doing his PP thing, but he's back to handling the puck like it's got the clap.

Also, if you think this post is an over reaction, #IYKYK 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Seems like Zib and CK need a break. They're not on the same page, neither player seems to be working as hard. They might have let good get to them, and think it's going to come easy.

I'd split them up for a few games, with the added benefit of moving Trochek off Panarin line and maybe having two players benefit from KK's ability to hold pucks and make plays. 

Panarin Zib Lafreniere

Kreider Trochek Kakko 

CK looked fine on the PP just doing his PP thing, but he's back to handling the puck like it's got the clap.

Also, if you think this post is an over reaction, #IYKYK 

I wouldn't be so defensive about this one, Pete.  It's actually a pretty decent idea.  Kakko looks like he could use a good "finisher" for the plays he can create out there, and I think a few games away from each other might not be a bad thing right now.

I'd still keep that PP together.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I wouldn't be so defensive about this one, Pete.  It's actually a pretty decent idea.  Kakko looks like he could use a good "finisher" for the plays he can create out there, and I think a few games away from each other might not be a bad thing right now.

I'd still keep that PP together.

I'm not. Whenever somebody makes a post on a player sucking, they get better. 😉

If you know, you know...

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not. Whenever somebody makes a post on a player sucking, they get better. 😉

If you know, you know...

Yeah true!!  ...but I like the idea, a lot actually! 

I know you posted it in the other thread, but I think you're on to something with Kakko.  I'm loving his game right now and he's progressing a lot faster.  You actually can see it starting to come together for the kid.  I told Keith I call him "Baby-Jagr"

Panarin and Zib together would 5 on 5 is something that could really work.

Kreider/Vinny T/Kakko would be a much more physical line too, assuming Kreider doesn't pull his Claude Raines act. 

Something like this figures to happen at some point this season, because Gallant isn't all that wedded to lines being permanent anyway. Gotta do something to shake things up. 

Team is frustrated and gripping the sticks. I’d just let them chill and work through it. They’re all getting plenty of chances.

Kreider was fucking abysmal last night tho, hope he’s got a hundred mile stare in the mirror. It’s one thing to disappear like he always does but he looked like season one of kakko and laf 

Top line has 1 point in the last 3 games. That’s including 15 minutes of PP time per game. 

I don’t think the lines need to be changed - just which lines are getting the ice time. I mentioned before last game, sit someone. Sit the fucking top line for a period. Hold them accountable for their shit play. But they know they can continue not performing and still get over 20 minutes a game. 

32 minutes ago, josh said:

Top line has 1 point in the last 3 games. That’s including 15 minutes of PP time per game. 

I don’t think the lines need to be changed - just which lines are getting the ice time. I mentioned before last game, sit someone. Sit the fucking top line for a period. Hold them accountable for their shit play. But they know they can continue not performing and still get over 20 minutes a game. 

I don't think that's how you motivate veteran NHLers. I do think that taking their toys away (each other) would help, for a game or so, because they seem too reliant on "the other guy is gonna do it" right now.

The thing is, everyone freaks out over line changes. There's no rule that says you can't change it back. How many times have we seen wacky 3rd period combos, coach looking for a goal, and they run back out the normal lineup in the next game?

It's not sacrilege.

27 minutes ago, josh said:

If it continues down this path a few more games I agree and think the ice time needs to be distributed more to the 3rd line.

If Chytil is back:

Blais/Goodrow - Chytil - Kakko

If not:

Blais - Goodrow - Kakko

Either way, I’m moving Kakko away from Kreider-Zibanejad before redistributing minutes. Of course then you’ll have people whining about Kakko not being listed in “the top 6”, but Kreids/Zib doing him no favors last few games.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think that's how you motivate veteran NHLers. I do think that taking their toys away (each other) would help, for a game or so, because they seem too reliant on "the other guy is gonna do it" right now.

The thing is, everyone freaks out over line changes. There's no rule that says you can't change it back. How many times have we seen wacky 3rd period combos, coach looking for a goal, and they run back out the normal lineup in the next game?

It's not sacrilege.

Yeah, aight, you convinced me. I'm down. So what you thinking for the top-6 then?

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not sacrilege.

No problems breaking up Kreider and Zib for a stretch soon if needed, but I think I’d leave Panarin-Tro pairing alone. They look fine together and just need the time to gel.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not sacrilege.

Motivate? I’m saying to stop playing shitty players. I don’t care about motivation for vets. If they can’t get up and perform against the worst teams in the league or defending cup champs, they don’t play. This is what gallant does with kids, do it with everyone 

2 minutes ago, josh said:

Motivate? I’m saying to stop playing shitty players. I don’t care about motivation for vets. If they can’t get up and perform against the worst teams in the league or defending cup champs, they don’t play. This is what gallant does with kids, do it with everyone 

This, to me sounds like you're trying to motivate. That's just how I read it. 

52 minutes ago, josh said:

Sit the fucking top line for a period. Hold them accountable for their shit play. But they know they can continue not performing and still get over 20 minutes a game. 

So does the rest of your post, frankly... Regardless of the word you want to use, I don't think that's going to get vets going. 

Edited by Pete

45 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I want to see Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko.

Playmaker-Finisher-Puck Retention.

23 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Was thinking this same thing. If you go the route of breaking apart Kreider and Zibanejad, the least that can be done is get Lafreniere in his normal and comfortable position.

Ok, so what's the rest of the lineup when we have 5 natural LW, and 2 natural RWs, who are also left-handed?

RW: Kakko, Kravtsov

LW: Kreider, Panarin, Lafreniere, Blais, Vesey(listed as both, but meh)

What's the other line is it's Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko? Panarin-Trochek-Kreider? We already know CK on RW doesn't work, and Panarin+Trochek hasn't found much of a spark.

Edited by Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ok, so what's the rest of the lineup when we have 5 natural LW, and 2 natural RWs, who are also left-handed?

What's the other line is it's Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko? Panarin-Trochek-Kreider? We already know CK on RW doesn't work, and Panarin+Trochek hasn't found much of a spark.

It's not great, not going to lie. I think Panarin/Trocheck have been fine. They've played together half a dozen games, and there's been some good plays between them. It isn't instant, but it won't ever click if you separate them.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-???

Kreider-Chytil/Goodrow-Blais/Kravtsov

Vesey-Carpenter-Reaves

I think Blais is being severely underutilized. When he's not flying into the boards trying to kill himself, he's actually a half-decent hockey player. Could be a guy to create space for Panarin and Tro.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I think Blais is being severely underutilized. When he's not flying into the boards trying to kill himself, he's actually a half-decent hockey player. Could be a guy to create space for Panarin and Tro.

I kind of agree with this, I think that he thinks he needs to be a human cannonball on lower lines, but his role would be different on the top lines, less dumping in, but still needing a physical element.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

CK plays with Goodrow (or Chytil when healthy). 

CK-Goody-Blais/Krav

CK-Chytil-Goody/Blais/Krav

CK’s greatest ability is on PP1. That wouldn’t change.

I still wouldn’t do this yet, but it’s the direction I’d go if CK/Z kind of force the hand over the next few games.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

It's not great, not going to lie. I think Panarin/Trocheck have been fine. They've played together half a dozen games, and there's been some good plays between them. It isn't instant, but it won't ever click if you separate them.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-???

Kreider-Chytil/Goodrow-Blais/Kravtsov

Vesey-Carpenter-Reaves

Yup. Blais or Krav in that ??? spot.