• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #5] Rangers vs. San Jose Sharks — Kaapo a Kaapo

Drew a Penalty

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Pretty sure they said the team is off today, guess they earned it. I know this stuff is pre planned IF it's true but the timing sure is bad on this one. 

Probably first break since training camp. And the schedule begins to pick up after this, so makes sense. I am not gonna question Turk's methods. And expect Saturday that method is gonna involve a lot of skating. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Stay out of the box, or stop the PP, beat the Rangers. The first part is easier than the second, but when Igor isn't pulling saves out of his ass...The Rangers don't look like world beaters. This isn't new territory.

I'm sure Igor will right himself, he made some great saves, but something else needs to happen with team defense because expecting another historic year from Igor is highly unrealistic and should never have been the plan.

Is it too much expect a big improvement on Team Defense in just one season?  Last year we bled chances like mad, like you said.  I would think that would be a huge focus for this season.  Maybe it''s still too soon and there needs to be more to experience, but once we get that ironed out, I think we'll have something to really hang our playoff chances on.

That crap we watched last night gave me no reason to think we've moved the needle much on Team D.

Edited by Ozzy
  • VINNY! 1

58 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

in an 82 game season not all of them are going to be picture perfect. Colorado lost to the Yotes twice last year. (I remember I cashed on the yotes lol)

We were the better team for 40 minutes last night, even though the PP looked a little bit out of sync. just a flat 3rd period. It happens. Some days you're gonna be a bit sloppy. 

We take 7 points out of every 5 games, we're gonna be in good shape

They had better look at what SJS did pressuring the puck on the PP and figures out ways to overcome that, because other teams will try to replicate it. Again, no secret to Gallant. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

Is it too much expect a big improvement on Team Defense in just one season?  Last year we bled chances like mad, like you said.  I would think that would be a huge focus for this season.  Maybe it''s still too soon and there needs to be more to experience, but once we get that ironed out, I think we'll have something to really hang our playoff chances on.

That crap we watched last night gave me no reason to think we've moved the needle much on Team D.

Played a solid defensive game vs. TBL and to a point vs. Winnipeg. And since otherwise mostly blew lesser teams away with a superior PP. Looks like a team that knows it's offensively talented and didn't much care about defense. Think Gallant is going to address it or try to anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The first ten games are hard to judge. We worked Tampa, but Tampa looks like shit so that looks less impressive. Does that make Tampa bad? Hardly. But, they're figuring out a new team.

For me, it's not too really to get nervous because they are basically trotting out the same team as last year ("upgrading" Strome with Trochek) and they still can't figure out how to play without the puck.

It's starting to get very clear why GG hasn't kept an NHL HC job for a full 3 seasons in his career.

Edited by Pete

On 10/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, jsm7302 said:

Agree with our past teams on our home ice BUT....this team, I don't see it. I think they STEAMROLL the sharks and send Quinn home contemplating his fall from grace on Broadway. 

Taking my 6 year old to his first game tonight. I feel like a giddy lil kid on Christmas Eve. Can't wait to show him the magic of a live Ranger game at the Garden.

LGR!!!!

Hope you guys enjoyed it, even though they didn’t win.

The first game I attended at MSG they were shutout 5-0 by Calgary. I saw them, maybe 6 times before they even got a tie and they scored a combined 4 goals during those games. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Depends, what do you classify as a big improvement? Obviously it's a small sample size so far but stats show that the team is about 15% better on 5-on-5 play and giving up high danger scoring chances. Considering that the roster hasn't changed much, I'd definitely take that if they can maintain the same improvement across the season as that should translate to more wins and hopefully playoff success. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Karan said:

Depends, what do you classify as a big improvement? Obviously it's a small sample size so far but stats show that the team is about 15% better on 5-on-5 play and giving up high danger scoring chances. Considering that the roster hasn't changed much, I'd definitely take that if they can maintain the same improvement across the season as that should translate to more wins and hopefully playoff success. 

I would contribute that 15% to replacing strome with trochek who is better defensively and Chytil seeming like he’s a better player now. Will it last? Who knows? This team still has a ways to go defensively befor they’re a legit cup contender. 

47 minutes ago, Karan said:

15% is a statistical improvement, and I suppose the sample size is small yet, I agree Karan.  The thing is, over the last couple of games it seems like the eye test is failing me.  We seem to be falling back into our last year mentality of "Igor's got it!", and "our PP will bail us out".

I'll be keeping an eye on those High Danger Chances, because I really and honestly feel as if we can cut those down by the playoffs, and make it part of the fabric with this squad, the sky really is the limit.  We have everything else.

Last night was a stinker, and I really don't wanna go crazy on that, but it's looks like there's some kind of habit of letting this sloppy play creep in against teams we should be putting away easily.