• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Best Other Cities in US

jsm7302

Just went to Boston for the weekend for the first time.  Really enjoyed the city; what a beautiful place. Looking for other places to visit both with the my three kids and/or just the wife and I. We really enjoyed the historical perspective of Boston and spent most of the weekend seeking out Revolutionary history. So different from New York. Looking forward to hear suggestions.

20 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Just went to Boston for the weekend for the first time.  Really enjoyed the city; what a beautiful place. Looking for other places to visit both with the my three kids and/or just the wife and I. We really enjoyed the historical perspective of Boston and spent most of the weekend seeking out Revolutionary history. So different from New York. Looking forward to hear suggestions.

Charleston, Chicago, Denver, Austin, San Diego. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 7:53 AM, Pete said:

Everyone says Charleston, been trying to get there for a few years.  Covid cancelled anniversary plans a couple of years ago.  

Was in San Diego this past August.....Downtown San Diego was a DUMP, which was disappointing as I was there 7-8 years ago and it wasnt bad.  La Jolla and San Diego "burbs" were nice.  Dana Point which is about an hour and change North is really nice....Had an excellent Whale/Dolphin watching cruise.  We did LA-->San Diego down the PCH and stopped at various points (Laguna, Huntington Beach, etc...)

Im heading to Nashville with my 10 year old next month....If it wasnt for the Nashville 5K and Rangers game I probably wouldnt go there with a child, maybe that would be a weekend trip with your wife.  

Edited by Blue Heaven

On 10/11/2022 at 6:53 AM, Pete said:

This is a great list for families.  

Depends on what you are looking for.  If you are looking for museums, botanical gardens, zoos, etc this is a good list for families.

Just with wife could be wine tours in California or looking for a place with lots of good microbrews.

Hawaiian islands are pricy but are geared toward outdoors activities like snorkeling that you would be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, jsm7302 said:

Woah. Long Island north shore has a very big Revolutionary Qar history involvement. Setauket, Oyster bay, port jeff, etc. The whole Washingtons Culper Spy Ring was out of Setauket. If you are interested, check out the show Turn, Washington Spy Ring on netflix i believe. There's a church 5 minutes from my house that still has bullet holes from thr Battle of Setauket with the Brits and Revolutionary Spys are buried there. Tons of houses from the 1700s in the area. 

Having said that, Portland Maine is also a beautiful coastal city. Had an awesome vacation there about years ago. 

49 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Within driving distance Mystic, Newport RI, and Portsmouth NH are all great coastal towns I’ve heard great things about.

Wife and I are going to Mystic for a weekend in December for their Christmas lights show and are gonna stop off at New Haven to do a pizza tour on the way up

Pepe’s, modern, Sally’s? 

As someone that moves...a lot...I will be keeping my eye on this thread, but I also recently started the process to immigrate to Canada, so we'll fuckin see. 

I live in Chicago - it's awesome and shitty at the same time. 

Fuck LA. 

LOL at the San Diego comments; I've found that CA's city's downtown areas are often...very lackluster (LA and SD are prime examples, but idk northern CA very well so can't speak to SF, Sac, Oakland, San Jose, etc.)

Boston was awesome, but I was only there as a kid and for a day or two as an adult. Fuck big papi. 

DC's cool, but I remember driving being a fuckin bitch. 

Houston, Austin, Denver, Nashville have always been on my lists to visit, but idk if I'll ever get around to it. 

I've been to Atlanta, but don't really remember much of it. 

I haven't really traveled within the US with the intent on taking anything in though, I normally just travel in the US to do things:

- Weddings

- Visit parents, friends

On 10/20/2022 at 12:31 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Thats the plan

Pepe's and Sally's a re great. 

Newport is great,especially if the weather is nice and you can do The Cliff Walk. 

If you are in Boston (also great) Salem is a nice day trip. 

On 10/20/2022 at 10:35 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Within driving distance Mystic, Newport RI, and Portsmouth NH are all great coastal towns I’ve heard great things about.

Wife and I are going to Mystic for a weekend in December for their Christmas lights show and are gonna stop off at New Haven to do a pizza tour on the way up

All of these three have been on my list for long weekends. I'm going to look into the Christmas lights show in Mystic. Never heard of it. 

We plan to do a road trip next spring, starting in DC and working our way down to Virginia Beach. Few days in DC and Arlington, couple days in Williamsburg and then a few days in Virginia Beach.

We have been to Portland for a short stay a couple of weeks back. It was a really good time. We loved Maine; also went to Kennebunkport, Camden and Bar Harbour. 

Are you looking for non tourist areas? 

Living in western my, 1000 islands and old forge (third lake area) are quick weekend get aways. Most of the time it’s straight up relaxing and getaway but there are other things to do in the area. They can be touristy trips, or you can stay away from everything and relax - or a combo.  They both have tourist seasons, though. 

tampa bay is one of my favorite places to visit. Don’t know why, I just seem to really like my time there. I’ve also had some awesome times in Daytona but those aren’t with the kids, and as we get older, you need family/friends there to make it worth it.

i used to go to NC for work a lot. Although the coast is nice, it wasn’t my favorite place. Charlotte, archdale. Amazing people, some decent things to do. Not a Disney trip but certainly relaxing.

also been to the Kentucky/Tennessee area a bit. Any time im there, it’s like I’m on strong Xanax. I feel like I can actually turn it off and actually relax and breath.