• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Isles Re-Sign Mat Barzal to 8-Year/$73.2M Extension; $9.15m AAV

LindG1000

• LindG1000 changed the title to Islanders Re-Sign Mat Barzal to 8-Year/$73.2M Extension; $9.15M AAV

That's a lot of dough for a player that's averaged a 67 point pace the past two seasons, plus 60 and 62 in the two prior to that. I guess with the rising salary cap it's not a big deal, but that AAV is $615k higher than Zibanejad's for less output.

Edited by Cash or Czech

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

That's a lot of dough for a player that's averaged a 67 point pace the past two seasons, plus 60 and 62 in the two prior to that. I guess with the rising salary cap it's not a big deal, but that AAV is $615k higher than Zibanejad's for less output.

They don't have a choice in the matter. He's too close to free agency not to give him basically what he's asking for. He's the face of their franchise. Having him walk would have been disastrous after what happened with Tavares.

I really wouldn't be worried about the AAV here if I'm an Isles fan. The talent is there. He hasn't had a ton of it supporting him, which explains why he's not producing more himself.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

They don't have a choice in the matter. He's too close to free agency not to give him basically what he's asking for. He's the face of their franchise. Having him walk would have been disastrous after what happened with Tavares.

I really wouldn't be worried about the AAV here if I'm an Isles fan. The talent is there. He hasn't had a ton of it supporting him, which explains why he's not producing more himself.

I agree from a lens of the Islanders, which I guess is all that matters. Of their 14 current NHL forwards, only Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, and Wahlstrom are under 28. They need him if they want any future of competing soon.

Even after the deal they still have $12mil in cap space next season with Wahlstrom the only "significant" RFA, and UFAs are Parise (done), Mayfield (bad), and Varlamov (will move on for a cheaper backup).

From an NHL perspective, pretty meh. But I guess that's not really what matters here anyway.

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

I agree I think it's a deal they had make.  Compared to some of the other deals Lou's made there this one is the least of the issues.  

So if Brock Nelson supplanted him as the No. 1 center last year, what's that make Nelson worth, $11m?

Modified no-trade starting just one year into the contract.  With a 22 team no trade clause, he can foreclose all trades by only allowing trades to the 10 most cap stressed teams who couldn't take him.  However, the seeming absence of a no-move leaves him susceptible to the waiver threat that forced McDonaugh to waive his no-trade.

8 hours ago, Phil said:

This. It's an overpayment...but it's the Isles. They have to overpay.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

This. It's an overpayment...but it's the Isles. They have to overpay.

It cost those players a lot to park in lots close to UBS Arena.  They also have to pay extra on extensions for existing players who have witnessed the Cross Island.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Would not be at all surprised to see Barzal put up an 80 point season now that Trotz is out.

I don't think it's really much of an overpayment.

agreed, he's been suffocated by his defensive structure. he has all the tools to be a point per game guy. 

also he really is the heartbeat of that team. you gotta pay up to keep your guys. What they are going to spend on him, they won't be able to just find elsewhere. you're either getting two $4.5 mil players that won't be potential game-breakers like Barzal can be, or you are probably paying more than that to try and get a bigger name UFA (who probably won't want to go there anyway/won't be as committed to the islanders)

• Bullseye 1

12 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Butch Goring on Barzal resigning: “This team is going to win a Stanley Cup and he wants to be a part of it.”

Is there anyone who can even compete with him for being as big of a biased homer?

And all he needs to do NOT to sound like a momo is make a slight tweak to his delivery.

"If the Islanders want to win a Stanley Cup, Barzal needs to be part of it".

I think I've mastered the art of listening to Butch;

Just expect all the smoke in the world blown up the Isles asses, and wait for him to cry about every call the ref doesn't make to give the Isles an advantage.  He when he actually overdoes that, that's when I spit beer through my nose giggling.

It works!

...and it's quite entertaining!!  LOL

8 minutes ago, CCCP said:

and why wouldnt he be a homer? he spent his entire professional life with the Piles.  and i dont think he's aspiring to do TNT or ESPN broadcasts

...actually he spent a great deal of his career with the Kings, Simon.  More than with the Isles.  I think for a while he was the Captain of the team, too!

9 hours ago, Pete said:

And all he needs to do NOT to sound like a momo is make a slight tweak to his delivery.

"If the Islanders want to win a Stanley Cup, Barzal needs to be part of it".

I can't stand the guy but in his defense before he talked stanley cup he said Barzal loves to golf and LI has plenty of great courses. So he was struck with a dose of reality before opening his yap about Barzal winning anything other than a few rounds, of golf.