• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Preparing Teams for Sharp Salary Cap Increase Over Next Three Seasons

Phil

As the league continues to recover from the revenue challenges presented by COVID and returns to normalcy, that upper limit should begin to rise considerably more in the coming years. 

According to multiple sources NHL teams have been given some guidance on where the cap could be going over the next few seasons.

YEAR

POSSIBLE SALARY CAP

2022-23

$82.5 million

2023-24

$83.5 million

2024-25

$87.5 million - $88 million

2025-26

Approximately $92 million

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-preparing-teams-for-sharp-salary-cap-increase-over-next-three-seasons/

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Why wouldn’t they average the increases more so it’s not just $1M next year?

They probably can't, because these are based on projections, so in the event the projection is significantly off, it would fuck up HRR split.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

2025 is when Igor's contract is up and all of Panarin, Trouba, Kreids, Zib and Fox are still signed, so this increase might be what saves us from losing Shesterkin.

Will probably have to bridge one or both of Laf and Miller.

Or dump another deal or two. I'm not sure they can afford Lindgren at all, in almost any case.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Or dump another deal or two. I'm not sure they can afford Lindgren at all, in almost any case.

Probably not, but he's so good value at 3m so I'm struggling to see them trade him away to save 1,5-2m (a replacement needs atleast 1m) on him.

Will probably keep him to 2024 and then let him walk, unless he wants to take a huge discount.

32 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Probably not, but he's so good value at 3m so I'm struggling to see them trade him away to save 1,5-2m (a replacement needs atleast 1m) on him.

Will probably keep him to 2024 and then let him walk, unless he wants to take a huge discount.

Sorry, I realize the way I wrote that was confusing and dumb. It was two separate thoughts that read as one.

What I meant was they could dump a deal or two (Goodrow, Trocheck, or maybe even Panarin by this point) and that I also don't see them keeping Lindgren for this exact reason. The money is gonna dry up too fast. They can't afford to Girardi him, who was in a similar situation as Lindgren is now before he signed his $5M deal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Man this talk about trading Lindgren is a travesty......😏....I mentioned it last season and during the playoffs and people were ripping me for it.  

I actually don't remember that happening at all, I think everybody realizes he can't fit under the cap.

That said if you were talking about trading him during the playoff he just had, how can you expect any other response LOL.

Maybe also ask yourself why you're talking about trading players who are bleeding all over the ice for their team during a magical playoff run. Talk about inappropriate timing lol. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I actually don't remember that happening at all, I think everybody realizes he can't fit under the cap.

That said if you were talking about trading him during the playoff he just had, how can you expect any other response LOL.

Maybe also ask yourself why you're talking about trading players who are bleeding all over the ice for their team during a magical playoff run. Talk about inappropriate timing lol. 

Because that came to realization that K'Andre Miller was taking the next step, he's gonna get PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID, and Lindgren with the beating that he takes that their is no way that he can last, he's going to go the way of Girardi, Callahan with a beaten down body, and he's going to want a long term contract after next season.   IMO it wasnt inappropriate b/c it was to shed a light that he can't keep up with the battering he gets. 

According to The Dude, we are all a piece of shit and our parents hate us for suggesting a Lindgren trade

The Dude

Members

Posted May 24

Captain Lindgren. 

If you ever suggested trading Lindgren,  you are an asshole piece if shit and should hate yourself just like your parents do. 

• LMFAO 2

Given the rapid cap escalations expected to take place, who knows what's up here.

If I said that 13m was enough for Laf, Key, and Chytil - largely bridge deals - and that left us 5m to figure out four forwards, 3 D, and a backup G...well...that's the problem. For those positions, you need 8m or so; we'd need to shed 3M.

That's Goodrow or Lindgren.

It's probably worth noting that Goodrow's deal is set up so that he's very tradeable after four years - not 2. He's due 10.1M in the 23-24 and 24-25 seasons - all in base salary.

As for Shesterkin's new deal - he's getting one in July of 2024 for some amount more than what Vasy is making now. 6 years, 57m or so.

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Man this talk about trading Lindgren is a travesty......😏....I mentioned it last season and during the playoffs and people were ripping me for it.  

I commonly list him on LTIR in my lineups to sidestep the convo. 

still need Miller to have a big year of consistent hockey before we have to worry. And if he does have that season, then I guess it’s not much of a worry after all. 

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry, I realize the way I wrote that was confusing and dumb. It was two separate thoughts that read as one.

What I meant was they could dump a deal or two (Goodrow, Trocheck, or maybe even Panarin by this point) and that I also don't see them keeping Lindgren for this exact reason. The money is gonna dry up too fast. They can't afford to Girardi him, who was in a similar situation as Lindgren is now before he signed his $5M deal.

The difference is Girardi was 30 when that contract started. Lindgren would be 26. Not saying they will be able to afford the next contract for him, maybe they can’t, but it wouldn’t project to being a dead weight contract that noone wants. It should be tradeable.

Edited by rmc51

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

The difference is Girardi was 30 when that contract started. Lindgren would be 26. Not saying they will be able to afford the next contract for him, maybe they can’t, but it wouldn’t project to being a dead weight contract that noone wants. It should be tradeable.

No, I get that — what I mean is just that the players themselves went from being on "sweetheart" deals to making big money around the same point. The age difference is a big factor, but big picture, it's a fair comparison to point to with how quickly the Girardi deal ended up an anchor. If anything, I'd even argue that paying Lindgren that deal now would be even worse, because it'll directly cost them someone like Miller, Lafreniere, etc. Unless they're also walking away from Kakko and Chytil, too?

The balls are all still up in the air, I just don't really see any justifiable way to keep Lindgren. It feels like that money should go to Miller, who should be asked to slot up and play on the top pairing with Fox.

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, I get that — what I mean is just that the players themselves went from being on "sweetheart" deals to making big money around the same point. The age difference is a big factor, but big picture, it's a fair comparison to point to with how quickly the Girardi deal ended up an anchor. If anything, I'd even argue that paying Lindgren that deal now would be even worse, because it'll directly cost them someone like Miller, Lafreniere, etc. Unless they're also walking away from Kakko and Chytil, too?

The balls are all still up in the air, I just don't really see any justifiable way to keep Lindgren. It feels like that money should go to Miller, who should be asked to slot up and play on the top pairing with Fox.

Even paying Lindgren 5M today wouldn't be the same as giving G 5M when he got his.

And we can't even afford him at 5M. 

Lindgren is 24 and will last to about 30 before wearing down.  When Cally and Girardi were 24, they each had at least seven good years left in them.

Having to choose between him and Miller is inevitable.  We can wait until the end of the year to decide (and longer in the event they both are happy with bridge deals).  Miller obviously has the higher ceiling, but if he's the one who can bring great riches in a trade, then its possible he's the one who goes.

• 3 weeks later...