• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Preparing Teams for Sharp Salary Cap Increase Over Next Three Seasons

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 6:41 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Is "per cent" a Canadian thing, like colour?  Per cent bugs the ever living shit out of me.  They're talking about a percentage, PERCENT.  Not talking about something per penny. 

In the rest of the world, cent=100, like century...So per cent actually does mean per 100.

• 2 months later...

NHL is still invested in the cap. But Reality is final 4 teams have either no or very low state income tax. That isn't a coincidence and it's going to become more pronounced going forward.  There may be an Adam Fox or John Tavares that wants to play for his favorite team growing up; those are outliers. Everyone else wants to max out their $. So the cap is in place to pretend the Yotes and CBJ have a shot, right. 

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The higher the better. It would be nice to actually be able to keep all or most of our good players.

Does it matter? Rangers will still sign someone and overpay tremendously, and then we’ll again be sitting here waiting for the cap to go up

17 hours ago, CCCP said:

Does it matter? Rangers will still sign someone and overpay tremendously, and then we’ll again be sitting here waiting for the cap to go up

Maybe, but it helps. I'm mostly concerned about being able to keep Shesterkin in a couple of years.

• TroCheckmark 1

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Maybe, but it helps. I'm mostly concerned about being able to keep Shesterkin in a couple of years.

That's probably where all this falls, Sharpy.  Hopefully it's a pretty big jump over the next few seasons.

37 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

In a short run but you and i know that they will sign and overpay for another shiny star as soon as $ is available. 

Just now, CCCP said:

In a short run but you and i know that they will sign and overpay for another shiny star as soon as $ is available. 

It wouldn't surprise me. Although honestly, before Kane, this team had done a pretty good job at not doing that. At least for ones that were past their prime anyway. They still overpaid for some players, but the "same old Rangers" people go on about would sign all the old ones like it was going out of style. Drury just went out and got Kane because he didn't cost a ton, although you could argue it did more harm than good to the chemistry and everything in the long run.

Sure, they'll overpay for someone, but I'd still like to be able to keep some of these guys together for the long haul going forward.

• Like 1