• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99

Binged it last night.  3 episode documentary about the July 1999 festival that I so badly wanted to go to after seeing Woodstock 94 performances by Green Day and the Chili Peppers on MTV.  A week before my 16th birthday though, it never happened.  I remember watching a lot of the coverage on MTV.  I don't remember it being such a shitshow though.  Granted, I'm sure I wasn't focused on how the news was reporting the event instead of just watching the performances wishing I was there.  Well worth the three 45-55 minute episodes.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode, maybe the first 2.

I watched a different Woodstock doc a few months ago that was better, I thought. 

as a kid, I remember the mud and fires. I thought it was typical Woodstock stuck from what i recalled. My aunt worked 94 and 99 and I remember her complaining about 99 and I was like “what do you mean, it was awesome!”. Watching some of these back, it really is eye opening to how poorly everything was set.

14 minutes ago, josh said:

I watched the first episode, maybe the first 2.

I watched a different Woodstock doc a few months ago that was better, I thought. 

as a kid, I remember the mud and fires. I thought it was typical Woodstock stuck from what i recalled. My aunt worked 94 and 99 and I remember her complaining about 99 and I was like “what do you mean, it was awesome!”. Watching some of these back, it really is eye opening to how poorly everything was set.

Do you have a link or name to the other doc you watched?  This is actually led me to look up and save some YouTube docs about 1994 to watch another time.

I swear they are all called “Woodstock”. I’m pretty sure it was free on Amazon but I’ll try to look tonight 

I’ll try to find the one I liked the best. That series went through the big 3. 
i thought this was the one I watched, at first. 

HBO Max released a Woodstock 99 documentary that came out last year, I think it's a good complement to the Netflix doc. I think the HBO doc is a bit more critical while the the Netflix doc tries to be more entertaining with more focus on the performers. I'm a bit more partial towards the HBO doc, but I think watching both in tandem is probably best for a more rounded look at the event.

1 hour ago, josh said:

I swear they are all called “Woodstock”. I’m pretty sure it was free on Amazon but I’ll try to look tonight 

I’ll try to find the one I liked the best. That series went through the big 3. 
i thought this was the one I watched, at first. 

After my wife falls asleep 15 minutes into watching Stranger Things I'll check out Amazon tonight and see if anything pops up.

56 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

HBO Max released a Woodstock 99 documentary that came out last year, I think it's a good complement to the Netflix doc. I think the HBO doc is a bit more critical while the the Netflix doc tries to be more entertaining with more focus on the performers. I'm a bit more partial towards the HBO doc, but I think watching both in tandem is probably best for a more rounded look at the event.

I don't have an HBO account unfortunately.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

Thanks for mentioning the HBO one. I saw that one and confused it with the one on Netflix that is being discussed. While the HBO one was good at the dirt, I feel like the ending was kinda rushed and didn't do much justice to the irony of "Peace sells" being played while that fire was going. 

Guess I'll check out the Netflix one. 

On 8/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't have an HBO account unfortunately.

You don't need HBO to get HBOmax. It's a pay per month steaming service, just like Netflix and it is the fucking best.

Worth every penny and you can go month to month.  I highly suggest it. It's the one I keep subscribed to through out as I step away from Netflix and Disney+ every few months until they come out with anything good. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Thanks for mentioning the HBO one. I saw that one and confused it with the one on Netflix that is being discussed. While the HBO one was good at the dirt, I feel like the ending was kinda rushed and didn't do much justice to the irony of "Peace sells" being played while that fire was going. 

Guess I'll check out the Netflix one. 

The Netflix doc spends more time on the third day and riot that ensued if that's what you're looking for. I found the Netflix ending unsatisfying. Just felt like they glossed over some things.

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wait.

Did I imagine Megadeth ending Woodstock 99, with the fires and police marching through the crowd? 

Yeah I think they were in the smaller stage. I thought they were night 2, but I’m not looking it up. I’ll take your word for it 

Could have gone to Woodstock '99, probably one of the best decisions I have ever made was not to go.  Watched it on "pay per view".  John Scher comes out as the biggest douchebag out of Trainwreck and the HBO Max documentary.  

Recommend watching the DMX documentary on HBO Max too.....many say DMX's performance at Woodstock was his best.  

12 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Could have gone to Woodstock '99, probably one of the best decisions I have ever made was not to go.  Watched it on "pay per view".  John Scher comes out as the biggest douchebag out of Trainwreck and the HBO Max documentary.  

Recommend watching the DMX documentary on HBO Max too.....many say DMX's performance at Woodstock was his best.  

I still wish I was allowed to go lol.

9 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'd never have lasted very long with the smell of piss and shit everywhere, but problems aside, how could you not want to be there with the lineup they had.

Because piss and shit everywhere..... and Ozzfest always had a better line up, 97 probably being unbeatable for all time ever. Ever. For ever ever. 

• Like 1