• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matthew Tkachuk Won't Sign Long-Term with Flames; Expected to Be Traded Soon

Phil

From the Francis article linked above:

In all likelihood, Tkachuk has indicated to the Flames what many have feared for years — that he isn’t interested in extending his stay in Calgary.

If so, the only difference between him and his U.S. compatriot, Gaudreau, is that Tkachuk is being far more forthcoming on his intentions than Johnny Ohio was.

Flames GM Brad Treliving politely refused comment on the move when contacted by Sportsnet, but the reality is clear: if Tkachuk isn’t willing to sign for more than one year, he has to be traded.

Pronto.

The lesson from Gaudreau’s departure was obvious: this can’t happen again.

Arbitration hearings don’t begin until July 27, and run through Aug. 11, but if Tkachuk goes through that process he can’t negotiate an extension until Jan. 1, 2023.

A trade before that makes the most sense.

That Francis said what he said on a St. Louis affiliate is all you need to know about the likely destination here, too. Dad played there. Looks like Matt will, too. Probably with Krug or Tarasenko — who I don't believe ever rescinded his trade request — going the other way for salary purposes.

53 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Jesus, him leaving would be very big news. It’s really too bad him coming here isn’t an option. I’d give an awful lot for him. He’s one of them unicorn guys.

Same. Kreider or Trouba, Lafreniere, Lundkvist, and a lottery-protected first. Without blinking.

But I think this is gonna be STL.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

That Francis said what he said on a St. Louis affiliate is all you need to know about the likely destination here, too. Dad played there. Looks like Matt will, too. Probably with Krug or Tarasenko — who I don't believe ever rescinded his trade request — going the other way for salary purposes.

They'd need to move Scheen too.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Same. Kreider or Trouba, Lafreniere, Lundkvist, and a lottery-protected first. Without blinking.

But I think this is gonna be STL.

The wrench is this: I don't know how STL can reasonably afford him - they're literally up against the cap right now. I'd assume that he'd sign something similar to Gaudreau - so let's pencil him in at 9.5 just for some wiggle here.

If Calgary loses Gaudreau and deals Tkachuk, that's got to be seen as a flare that they're going to re-tool. Calgary won't want 30+-year-old assets on expiring deals here. They also don't really have a need for a Krug or a Faulk.

STL could do a good prospect package, but I think they'll need a third team to broker this deal with St Louis' cap situation.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The wrench is this: I don't know how STL can reasonably afford him - they're literally up against the cap right now. I'd assume that he'd sign something similar to Gaudreau - so let's pencil him in at 9.5 just for some wiggle here.

If Calgary loses Gaudreau and deals Tkachuk, that's got to be seen as a flare that they're going to re-tool. Calgary won't want 30+-year-old assets on expiring deals here. They also don't really have a need for a Krug or a Faulk.

STL could do a good prospect package, but I think they'll need a third team to broker this deal with St Louis' cap situation.

I’d think It would be looking at Tarasenko + Kyrou + conditional pick. Kyrou is very talented but as someone that watched him a lot last year for fantasy reasons, it seemed like Berube isn’t a huge fan of him. His TOI reflects that but to me it shows how talented he is to be a ppg player with under 17 minutes a night. Monetarily it works because STL gives Tkachuk the salary of both guys combined. Calgary gets a young talented guy that softens the blow of Tarasenko being a one and done guy there and they still can trade him come playoff time if they still are looking to retool. 

Don’t see the Blues as a fit without a 3rd team in the mix. Hard to see any of the guys mentioned waiving their NTCs. Also, Calgary isn’t taking anyone on an expiring deal back who wouldn’t sign long term.

IMO they’ll want RFA talent that is cost controlled for several more years.

15 hours ago, josh said:

Buchnevich about to get a new magnet. 

we can take O’Reilly to give them more cap flexibility. Everyone else on that team has NTC 

Not anymore. I would have, but this team is basically locked into Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Trocheck for the next two-to-four years.

Just a confirmation, but it's in writing now and not just on podcasts.

I really wonder where the Flames go from here. They lost two top-line forwards. No team can recover from that in a single offseason. Signing Kadri would be an awful way to try and mitigate that. Will Mangiapane leave after this next deal and he's a UFA too?

Edited by Cash or Czech

Soft reset, most likely. The key will be getting pieces to mitigate back in this trade that they couldn't get when Gaudreau left. It's why I'm saying if the Rangers are gonna do it, Lafreniere is going there.