• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Sign Ondrej Palat to 5-Year/$30m Deal; $6m AAV

Phil

That’s a fantastic pickup for them. Fantastic. What a mentor for these hot shit young kids on that team than a guy who is not only an outstanding playoff performer, but also a good player to boot? Paid a little premium for it too but is 6m that steep for a mostly top 6 winger? I don’t think so. 

• Bullseye 1

32 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I feel like a trader saying this but I'd like to see the Devils become competitive again with all the young talent they have acquired over the past few years. I love the rivalry. 

Fuck Outta Here No Way GIF by Desus & Mero

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I feel like a trader saying this but I'd like to see the Devils become competitive again with all the young talent they have acquired over the past few years. I love the rivalry. 

Fuck all of this with a barbed cat dick so it can't get unfucked.

I hope they fail so hard they relocate to Siberia. Fuck that entire franchise, top to bottom.

• LMFAO 4
  • VINNY! 2
  • Applause 1

I mean, $6 million for Palat really isn't bad at all. He's a 0.6 P/GP player the last four years. Assuming similar output, $6 million for 15-18 goals and 50~ points is right in line with what players like that earn on the open market.

Plus, if the Devils ever get back to the playoffs again, which I hope they never fucking do, because I hope their franchise folds, he'll be invaluable. He's a total playoffs workhorse. 94 points in 138 playoff games. 0.7 P/GP. He's actually, somehow better in the post-season.

I fucking hate this.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Fuck all of this with a barbed cat dick so it can't get unfucked.

I hope they fail so hard they relocate to Siberia. Fuck that entire franchise, top to bottom.

Yup, the Kamchatka Lightning. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I don't know. There are just some guys that strike me more of a product of the team they are on and slightly less on what they produce in a vacuum. Palat, Killorn,  Names, kind of seem to fit that.

I mean, I agree with this. I don't think the Devils are getting Lightning Palat, because the Devils don't have the Lightning roster, but if you're the Devils, you pay this freight for this player all day every day.

• Applause 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I agree with this. I don't think the Devils are getting Lightning Palat, because the Devils don't have the Lightning roster, but if you're the Devils, you pay this freight for this player all day every day.

I think for me, getting a guyvkine him before getting the real parts to guarantee you are a playoff team seems a bit backwards but I suppose you have to start with a culture somewhere.

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think for me, getting a guyvkine him before getting the real parts to guarantee you are a playoff team seems a bit backwards but I suppose you have to start with a culture somewhere.

It's more than that. They need to prove they can attract... anyone. 

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Didnt we do the same thing with Goodrow? He was good during the season but didnt do much in the playoffs 

8 hours ago, CCCP said:

Didnt we do the same thing with Goodrow? He was good during the season but didnt do much in the playoffs 

Goodrow just put up a career high in goals and points. Also, he's not being paid $6 million. Also, hard to do much when you break your ankle blocking a shot... twice.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, CCCP said:

I’ll give him that but the idea was the same

Kinda, yeah. But the Rangers are/were clearly closer to making the playoffs, so it made more sense to invest in players like that. The Devils are still far off.

I agree that Goodrow didn't drop off with the Rangers, but Palat not being the same without the Tampa cast is a distinct possibility.  I wouldn't expect Palat to be as big of a scorer as he just was in the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:52 PM, Sod16 said:

I agree that Goodrow didn't drop off with the Rangers, but Palat not being the same without the Tampa cast is a distinct possibility.  I wouldn't expect Palat to be as big of a scorer as he just was in the playoffs.

Yeah, because the Devils won't make them.

• Like 1