• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Re-Sign Evgeni Malkin to 4-Year/$24.4m Extension; $6.1M AAV

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Penguins Re-Sign Evgeni Malkin to 4-Year/$24.4 Million Dollar Extension; $6.1M AAV

They’re going to be where the Caps are now in 2 years. Too old to do anything. That being said, as much as I did think that there was a chance we’d be in on Malkin tomorrow, can’t say I’m that shocked he remained there.

They seem to have gone the route of the 90s Rangers, where they’re paying for their Cups (or in our case, singular) into the later stages of these stars careers.

That being said, they’ve earned that right. 3 Cups, several major awards, bunch of division titles, etc. But none of that matters in the present. And the present is a place where they are 0-4 in their last 4 1st Round Series.

In October of this coming season,…..

Crosby 35 years old, 8.7 until 25/26

Malkin 36 years old, 6.1 until 26/27

Rust 30 years old, 5.1 until 2028/29

Letang 35 years old, 6.1 until 2028/29

I’m confused on the long term goals here for this team. 

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Penguins Re-Sign Evgeni Malkin to 4-Year/$24.4m Extension; $6.1M AAV
6 hours ago, Keirik said:

definitely some ‘pay for what you’ve done for us’ contracts. But it’s also not like those guys aren’t still playing at a high level 

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

26 mil on over 30 yo talent through 2026. BEAUTIFUL!

Panarin, Zibanejad and Kreider get us to that total salary number and we haven't won a damn thing!!

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Penguins refusing to rebuild is awesome.

What's a rebuild? Just keep the gang together, who cares about long-term building when you can win in the short term? The Ken Holland Red Wings are a perfect example of this. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What's a rebuild? Just keep the gang together, who cares about long-term building when you can win in the short term? The Ken Holland Red Wings are a perfect example of this. 

Well, I just think the terms of the contracts for Malkin and Letang are too long. Plus I don't think they have the staying power that those Red Wings teams had. They already have three cups, which is great for them, I don't see them winning the Cup again. They'll still be competitive short-term, though.

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Well, I just think the terms of the contracts for Malkin and Letang are too long. Plus I don't think they have the staying power that those Red Wings teams had. They already have three cups, which is great for them, I don't see them winning the Cup again. They'll still be competitive short-term, though.

That's where the problem lies: I don't see them having another deep playoff run since they do not have the center depth (that's where we were able to beat them in that playoff series). They're going to be competitive, just not enough to make a ripple in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Crazy how when its all said and done Crosby Letang and Malkin will have played 20 years together. That’s pretty cool

So incredibly rare. Keeping these guys into their forties is sus, but it's pretty awesome that they're going to retire lifelong Pens. Every one of them will have their numbers retired.