• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Breakout Postseason for Miller, Lafreniere

Valriera

It’s been a tremendously fun run, team just gassed at the end, nothing to be ashamed of.

I look back on it and see what we learned about the team - nothing really we didn’t already know: bread/kreider disappear in the tough spots, trouba sis big but not particularly good, Igor amazing, etc.

To me though, this has to be looked at as the coming out party for these two kids. Miller and Laf were both outrageous this run. They’re children, remember, but miller played all postseason like a true stud, making huge plays all over. Ridiculous range and skating, and I’ll never forget the play he made in ot against pit to draw the pp that bread scored on. What a performance

Laf just did everything. A real postseason gamer there. When was the last time anyone knocked victor hedman out of a game with any hit? When was the last time that guy even was hit? Fights stamkos. Draws huge penalties. Assists. Just showed so much more than anyone thought he had. Incredibly impressed. Ask yourself if Jack Hughes is doing any of that since we like to compare. Nope. Kid made me proud - did not shy away from the most important time of the year and instead elevated his entire line’s performance. Regular season idk but this playoff he played well beyond the years of a second year 1OA. Even mcdavid didn’t show the same stuff this time of year at his age.

What a run.

• Like 3

They are 2 nice stories for sure, but at the end it comes down to production and role.

Lafreniere needs to put up points next year. It's a must. And he needs to pass the eyeball test, which his started to do, but not nearly enough for a 1OA.

Miller needs to learn the game of defense. He relies on his talent, but you can see where the game is too fast for him, too often.

Really happy to see the glimmers of what could be there for both players, but there is much work o be done.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

With Miller's size, he has to be more physical. Heard 2nd hand the coaching staff was all over him for allowing too many puck carriers to go around him on break ins while he waved his stick at them rather than taking the body. But even there, he made some great plays with his stick. Fox, at least this season, does not yet (injury?) have that Leetch 180 foot goal thing ; Miller does. Would love to see him go end to end when he has the opening. With this often anemic 5 on 5 offense may be a necessity. 

Miller is nasty. If he can continue putting it together I think he’s a top pair guy. Speed, size, skill, but yes defensively I’d like to see him shore up on closing guys out and that should come with more experience. 

it was nice to see laf get some life this season but he def needs to continue progressing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pete said:

They are 2 nice stories for sure, but at the end it comes down to production and role.

Lafreniere needs to put up points next year. It's a must. And he needs to pass the eyeball test, which his started to do, but not nearly enough for a 1OA.

Miller needs to learn the game of defense. He relies on his talent, but you can see where the game is too fast for him, too often.

Really happy to see the glimmers of what could be there for both players, but there is much work o be done.

Yup.

Love the growth and what LaFreniere showed, but you’re right. Now the points need to come. 

Miller too. But I think that comes with reps. 

If he gets 1st power play unit time he will produce just fine.  It also needs to be recognized that his draft status at this point should not effect his reality as a player.  Not every 1OA is in the same category as a franchise player.  I'm pretty confident that Laf is going to be a very good player but he's a wing.  There are very few wings that are franchise players.  We should be happy that we got a young cornerstone player that doesn't wilt when the game gets faster and more physical.  He may never be a top points guy but I can easily see him as being a guy that just wins.

I think seeing how tight the playoffs can be and what is expected of himself and the team there will help him thrive in the regular season when there is more space and you’re not playing every game against tough defensive teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay.

He scored 19 this year in a bad year. I truthfully hope he comes in in a good spot mentally, is ready to switch sides for good and could pot 25-30 on a line with Mika and Kreider next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

60 point, nasty ass, Lafreniere is good by me. 

If he gets 5 minutes of PP time a night, like other guys, that'll take those points way beyond 50-60.

I think you're right, Dunny!  I liked Laffy's nasty streak!  I think he's totally capable of a 25-30 goal season.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, Valriera said:

It’s been a tremendously fun run, team just gassed at the end, nothing to be ashamed of.

I look back on it and see what we learned about the team - nothing really we didn’t already know: bread/kreider disappear in the tough spots, trouba sis big but not particularly good, Igor amazing, etc.

To me though, this has to be looked at as the coming out party for these two kids. Miller and Laf were both outrageous this run. They’re children, remember, but miller played all postseason like a true stud, making huge plays all over. Ridiculous range and skating, and I’ll never forget the play he made in ot against pit to draw the pp that bread scored on. What a performance

Laf just did everything. A real postseason gamer there. When was the last time anyone knocked victor hedman out of a game with any hit? When was the last time that guy even was hit? Fights stamkos. Draws huge penalties. Assists. Just showed so much more than anyone thought he had. Incredibly impressed. Ask yourself if Jack Hughes is doing any of that since we like to compare. Nope. Kid made me proud - did not shy away from the most important time of the year and instead elevated his entire line’s performance. Regular season idk but this playoff he played well beyond the years of a second year 1OA. Even mcdavid didn’t show the same stuff this time of year at his age.

What a run.

Love both of these guys and this post. Miller is in my top 3 favorites on this team. Im with Pete though regarding Laf needing to put up some points to make me a believer. Love his attitude and effort but we need more. Keep at it kids! Proud to be cheering you on.

• Cheers 2