• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Lightning Round Three — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

29 minutes ago, Capt said:

Well thanks for giving me a break.  It's not about positive or negative though.  I have zero influence in the outcome nor does anyone else.  I had season tickets for years and even when I didn't believe I went and cheered for them to win and hoped for the best.  

I come on this site not to partake in cheerleading exercises.  There are some people on here I actually want to read their opinions about hockey. The ones who can call it like it is without the rose colored glasses.  I just don't value mush of the opinions that are not based in anything other than bias.  I have plenty of friends that I know in person to root with and be the unwavering fan with while watching the game.  I just don't use this place for comfort and company.  I use it for educated hockey talk

Jason Sudeikis Coach GIF by Apple TV+

10 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Only thing getting me through this morning is all the Penguins fans tears on Twitter. Somehow they found another Trouba elbow to collectively cry about and it helps on my own sadness.

I mean... It looked pretty bad... 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I mean... It looked pretty bad... 

It did. And yet I'm completely beyond the point of caring because Wes McCauley still wouldn't have called it if Trouba kicked Palat in the chest, repositioned him over the logo, stood over his head, chucked an elbow pad into the crowd and gave him a full-fledged People's Elbow.

I'm admittedly bitter about last night's loss, mostly because I think the way playoffs get officiated is insane. The NFL doesn't stop calling penalties in the AFC championship game just to "let them play". You don't stop getting fouls in the NBA Finals. If you want to let the ticky-tacky shit go - fine, do it - but you have to call the clear and obvious ones. That didn't happen, and for a team that absolutely feasts on special teams to be neutralized - not because they didn't draw penalties, but because the penalties drawn were just ignored - feels insane to me. Drawing penalties is a skill. Special teams are a part of the game - a referee making the decision to remove them because the stakes are suddenly higher cannot possibly be a good or fair thing, especially for a game so invested in betting markets where some level of consistency and predictability is literally required.

The hook on Miller was an absolutely insane call. The lack of a call on Rutta, or on whoever it was that tripped Kakko about two minutes after that was absolutely unforgivable. I know refs are worried about not influencing the outcome of a game by doling out penalties, but they do the same thing when they fail to dole out penalties, so isn't the most logical thing to do to call the damn rulebook?

I don't know if we were robbed in this game, but I do know that we're at a minimum in overtime if either of those penalties gets called. 

• Keeps it 100 2

Rooney was pretty useless, so lets try something else:

Kreider - Zib - Vatrano

Panarin - Strome - Hunt (this line sucks anyway, atleast Hunt can forecheck)

Kids

Motte - Goodrow - Copp

The 4th line will probably be the 2nd line in terms of ice-time, but that's fine.

We won the first two game because we outskated them. Get Hunt (or even Goat or Brodz) in for Rooney, more speed and aggressive forechecking, less being scared and playing it safe.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought the effort was there and they played a solid defensive game overall. I don't think they were necessarily robbed despite some egregious officiating. If they put away those golden opportunities they still win 3-1 despite looking a little gassed.

Sure. Strome missing that empty net, or Chytil just getting the angle on that deflection right totally changes the game. 

All I hope for is that they throw the kitchen sink at the Lightning next game. If they win, great. If they don't, leave them feeling like they just spent three weeks in Kandahar.

13 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

If the Rangers win tomorrow, they'll get a much needed extra day of rest....Game 7 is Tuesday.  Hopefully that could work in their favor since they looked like they are spent.  

Agreed. War of attrition. 19 games in like 30-something days.

It's easy to be angry at Strome (especially for those who have always been mad at him for whatever reason), but I feel awful for Strome. That's the kind of play that can haunt/ruin the rest of your career. Gary Galley was on SXMNHL this morning talking about what missing an open net did to Glenn Wesley, and what he went through.

Anyone who's ever competed at any level really should have some empathy. Most fans won't, but most fans aren't athletes.

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's easy to be angry at Strome (especially for those who have always been mad at him for whatever reason), but I feel awful for Strome. That's the kind of play that can haunt/ruin the rest of your career. Gary Galley was on SXMNHL this morning talking about what missing an open net did to Glenn Wesley, and what he went through.

Anyone who's ever competed at any level really should have some empathy. Most fans won't, but most fans aren't athletes.

Yep. Been saying it all day. 

That play may be something that haunts him for the rest of his career. And listen, anything can happen Saturday, but I think we are all expecting the same thing here…

And if that’s the case, it may not even be in his best interest to re-sign here because, and especially in the market and with this fanbase, it’ll never be lived down. Look at Carlos Beltran; the man put together a border line HOF career, yet what is always the first thing he’s linked to? Game 7, caught looking.

It was all on him. I feel bad for him because that is just…tough to overcome. But at the same time, I’m sorry, there just really isn’t any excuse there. And he knows that. It is what it is, just a sad missed opportunity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I give him credit for being ready and battling in game 5 after the injury. Dude is probably still hurt (bad) and who knows it could have impacted that play. With that said, while mentally this could weigh on him in the future, the 10's of millions he's going to collect on his next contract will surely ease the pain. 🤑

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

As much as it seems the fan base has given up on this run....there is no reason to believe we can't win two in a row against a team we beat 5 times in a row this season. 

With that said, Stromer missed an open net during a Game 5 in a split 2-2 series, not a Game 7. Im sure he feels horrible about it but the team isn't out and he just needs to get back at it and bring it for Game 6.

• Like 1