• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Lightning Round Three — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lets just hope we didn’t wake up a sleeping giant…

We are the sleeping giant. Fuck Tampa. Our roster eclipses theirs 

LGR!

Edited by Keirik
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2
  • Believe 2

Took Rangers' worst period of the series, coupled with Bolts' best. And after all that took a seeing eye dog shot to win. 

Not a conspiracy guy, but NHL in their own stupidity scheduled the Finals for a hard date to start 6/18. The holding penalty of Trouba that led to the Bolts' tying PPG was the biggest load of shit ever, called not by the ref in the croner who was right there, but by the other official out by the blueline. There was no hold,a  total joke. Rangers did not play well in the 3rd, but suspicion is the refs know to try to keep this series close. Were both series to end early that's a bad thing for the NHL and it's TV partners. 

• Like 5
  • Keeps it 100 2

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

We are the sleeping giant. Fuck Tampa. Our roster eclipses theirs 

LGR!

Just now, Bugg said:

Took Rangers' worst period of the series, coupled with Bolts' best. And after all that took a seeing eye dog shot to win. 

Not a conspiracy guy, but NHL in their own stupidity scheduled the Finals for a hard date to start 6/18. The holding penalty of Trouba that led to the Bolts' tying PPG was the biggest load of shit ever, called not by the ref in the croner who was right there, but by the other official out by the blueline. There was no hold,a  total joke. Rangers did not play well in the 3rd, but suspicion is the refs know to try to keep this series close. Were both series to end early that's a bad thing for the NHL and it's TV partners. 

I’m not at all surprised Tampa won yesterday. I did not think they’d beat Tampa 3 straight. 

Despite Tampa winning and the Rangers not skating or playing particularly well, they still could have won the game.

Find a way to win Game 4 on the road and this current mission is accomplished.

Yeah woke up feeling good as this is all very similar to carolina series. We dominated most of game 1 and game 2 - wound up winning those. This was first game on the road and it took a massive effort from Tampa just to squeak by. They were certainly the better team game 3, but ultimately they just barely won with 40s left. They're going to need to figure out a lot more than that to win three more games off of us and there should be no panic from this team. Keep skating, hitting, and playing our game and the odds are very much in our favor to win this. 

24 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Gord Dwyer has been leaning hard on the Rangers in a couple of games now.  He did it in a couple of Pens games and also in the Carolina series.  I thought at first it was Kelly Sutherland, but I watched Dwyer call 2 of the 3 Trouba penalties which I thought were pretty weak calls.

That "hold" was a fucking farce, I agree @Bugg!

I'm not saying we didn't have a 4 PP minute chance to win this game though...we did.  I just wanna see the refs let the players decide this.  If the NHL thinks the NY crowd is gonna "Not watch" the Stanley Cup finals after a 5 or 6 day lay off, if we put these lame fucks away early,  they're out of their freakin' tree!!!

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Gord Dwyer has been leaning hard on the Rangers in a couple of games now.  He did it in a couple of Pens games and also in the Carolina series.  I thought at first it was Kelly Sutherland, but I watched Dwyer call 2 of the 3 Trouba penalties which I thought were pretty weak calls.

That "hold" was a fucking farce, I agree @Bugg!

I'm not saying we didn't have a 4 PP minute chance to win this game though...we did.  I just wanna see the refs let the players decide this.  If the NHL thinks the NY crowd is gonna "Not watch" the Stanley Cup finals after a 5 or 6 day lay off, if we put these lame fucks away early,  they're out of their freakin' tree!!!

Only criticism is wish they had taken their timeout before the 4 minute PP. Who knows though, may not have made any difference. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Were both series to end early that's a bad thing for the NHL and it's TV partners. 

Stop. There is nothing better for the NHL than having the Rangers in the Finals. You know who cares about Tampa Bay outside Tampa Bay? No one.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

I will say that, if that's the best we can come up with, it's a problem. BUT....we all know that's definitively NOT the best we can come up. Playing a late game Friday, presumably traveling in the wee hours of the morning, coming off a 7 game series against a team that had more than a week of rest, in basically a must-win game for them....and we STILL almost took it. 

That said, hopefully we can come up with a third W before Point returns, because he drastically improves their lineup.

Moment I knew it was over: tie game with 5 minutes left, Kreider skates to a loose puck in the neutral zone right on Tampa's blueline. All playoffs long, he turns the jets on, blows around that defender, and drives to the net. He did a limp-wristed shovel deep into Tampa's zone and immediately went for a change. That's when I knew we weren't playing to win anymore. 

Also, something this team has done previously is rebound hard after shitty games (see Games 6 and 7 after Gallant said we looked tired in Game 5 against Carolina).

Edited by Ranger Lothbrok

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Stop. There is nothing better for the NHL than having the Rangers in the Finals. You know who cares about Tampa Bay outside Tampa Bay? No one.

Yup. Every league wants NY teams playing for titles. With no exceptions 

36 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

I will say that, if that's the best we can come up with, it's a problem. BUT....we all know that's definitively NOT the best we can come up. Playing a late game Friday, presumably traveling in the wee hours of the morning, coming off a 7 game series against a team that had more than a week of rest, in basically a must-win game for them....and we STILL almost took it. 

That said, hopefully we can come up with a third W before Point returns, because he drastically improves their lineup.

Moment I knew it was over: tie game with 5 minutes left, Kreider skates to a loose puck in the neutral zone right on Tampa's blueline. All playoffs long, he turns the jets on, blows around that defender, and drives to the net. He did a limp-wristed shovel deep into Tampa's zone and immediately went for a change. That's when I knew we weren't playing to win anymore. 

Also, something this team has done previously is rebound hard after shitty games (see Games 6 and 7 after Gallant said we looked tired in Game 5 against Carolina).

Team was all throwing the puck blindly trying to get it out of the zone all 3rd period rather than trying to make a decent breakout. Was a bad period. But again go watch the Trouba hold; it's a terrible call that at that point in a conference final is inexplicable shit. 

Bettman got his start with David Stern in the NBA. Tim Donaghy documented chapter and verse how it was suggested to refs  to extend series, or more often how certain refs were assigned to specific games. If you really believe that kind of thing has never happened, you are naive. Were both series to end this week, plausible there would be a 10 day gap until Finals start. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Where have you seen a hard date of 6/18 to start the Final?  All I see is the last possible date to award the Stanley Cup would be June 30th.  So, essentially if both series ends in 4-5-6 games, they could start the Stanley Cup Final a couple of days earlier than 6/18.  I can only guess but if the Rangers finish off the Lightning in 5 or 6 the Final would start on 15th.  5 full days off if the Rangers finish in 5, 3 full days off if the series goes 6.  Again this is all an assumption, but Game 1 would be 15th, Game 2, 17th....2 days off Game 3 on the 20th (NBA Game 7 is scheduled for the Sunday 19th, Game 6 is scheduled for Thursday 16th, so NHL has to go around those dates since I believer ESPN has the SCF this season)

Of course I am figuring out that the Avs are going to win in 4, or worse case scenario in 5.  

20 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Where have you seen a hard date of 6/18 to start the Final?  All I see is the last possible date to award the Stanley Cup would be June 30th.  So, essentially if both series ends in 4-5-6 games, they could start the Stanley Cup Final a couple of days earlier than 6/18.  I can only guess but if the Rangers finish off the Lightning in 5 or 6 the Final would start on 15th.  5 full days off if the Rangers finish in 5, 3 full days off if the series goes 6.  Again this is all an assumption, but Game 1 would be 15th, Game 2, 17th....2 days off Game 3 on the 20th (NBA Game 7 is scheduled for the Sunday 19th, Game 6 is scheduled for Thursday 16th, so NHL has to go around those dates since I believer ESPN has the SCF this season)

Of course I am figuring out that the Avs are going to win in 4, or worse case scenario in 5.  

ESPN ads every game. TV wants the games for the Finals on a set date to lock in their programming. 

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion Strome and Goodrow are out. I would still be surprised if Goodrow’s left foot isn’t re-broken, which I have to assume would mean he’s done for the season.

Goodrow took his regular shift, but would not expect to see Strome. The cross check wasn't much, but he was favoring his leg pretty dramatically. Either Blais will step up or expect to see Rooney. 

If Strome can’t go you probably slide Copp to center and stick somebody like Gauthier or Hunt on the right.

If neither can go it might be time for something a little more drastic? Something like 

Kreider/Zib/Panarin

Kids

Motte/Copp/Vatrano

Whichever combination of 3 guys you feel least awful about

2 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

If Strome can’t go you probably slide Copp to center and stick somebody like Gauthier or Hunt on the right.

If neither can go it might be time for something a little more drastic? Something like 

Kreider/Zib/Panarin

Kids

Motte/Copp/Vatrano

Whichever combination of 3 guys you feel least awful about

Hunt played with Panarin a lot.

but I think it’s make more sense to have Rooney, a center, dressed. Especially with the condition Goodrow is playing

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Hunt played with Panarin a lot.

but I think it’s make more sense to have Rooney, a center, dressed. Especially with the condition Goodrow is playing

Yeah, if Goodrow can go you could definitely bump him up and play Rooney on the 4th. It’s just that if you remove Goodrow from the 4th it essentially becomes a black hole. I feel like the overall balance of the team might be better if you keep him there and put in a winger on the 2nd. 
Tbh I’m expecting both guys to be out though.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I guess he has to hope for it no?

Stop the roll? That loss is a piece of gravel under our 4x4 tire. We rolled the hell over it and are continuing down our path. Gunna need more than that Coop!!

LGR! NO QUIT IN NY!!!

• Believe 1