• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECQF #5: (2M) Rangers vs. (3M) Pittsburgh Penguins — This Is the End, My Only Friend

33 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Oh boy if they lose tonight like how they lost Game 5, I wouldnt be the least surprised if a couple of heads roll.  Its just about the mirror image of getting pushed around and embarrassed by the Islanders/Caps at the end of last season.  

Yup. But even worse, because it'll have happened in the playoffs. If they get snuffed out, there's absolutely no way someone doesn't lose their head over it.

23 minutes ago, Flynn said:

the real troubling part is the Penguins aren't exactly a team of badasses and bullies. 

It's not about being a badass or a bully unless by that you are actually talking about relentlessness (forechecking, backchecking) and determination (will, drive). Pens have it in spades. Rangers lack it in spades.

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. But even worse, because it'll have happened in the playoffs. If they get snuffed out, there's absolutely no way someone doesn't lose their head over it.

Who are we talking about here? Players?   Can't imagine Drury or GG get canned after 1 year, in which they successfully went from non-playoff team to handily getting in.

12 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Who are we talking about here? Players?   Can't imagine Drury or GG get canned after 1 year, in which they successfully went from non-playoff team to handily getting in.

Players, but I'll never count out a coach getting "shockingly" let go. Gallant himself has been fired in this fashion twice now.

21 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Drury’s job definitely safe. GG’s job is as close to 100% safe as you can get without being 100%. I have to admit though, Trotz might be one of those coaches who Gallant could conceivably get “shock fired” for if the Rangers lose this series on home ice in similar fashion to what they looked like in game 4.

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Players, but I'll never count out a coach getting "shockingly" let go. Gallant himself has been fired in this fashion twice now.

The book is becoming real clear on Gallant. Playing a different team every night is different than a playoff series. One team has made adjustments, the other hasn't. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 3

Just now, Pete said:

The book is becoming real clear on Gallant. Playing a different team every night is different than a playoff series. One team has made adjustments, the other hasn't. 

It's funny — when he was hired, I basically shrugged my shoulders and said "OK, let's see what he does." I had no opinion on him positive or negative. Through the regular season, I'd say I was mostly positive, but he's been embarrassingly out-coached in this series.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Drury’s job definitely safe. GG’s job is as close to 100% safe as you can get without being 100%. I have to admit though, Trotz might be one of those coaches who Gallant could conceivably get “shock fired” for if the Rangers lose this series on home ice in similar fashion to what they looked like in game 4.

Paul Maurice is another guy I think they'd be high on. They were keeping tabs on him well before hiring Gallant in the first place.

Just now, Phil said:

It's funny — when he was hired, I basically shrugged my shoulders and said "OK, let's see what he does." I had no opinion on him positive or negative. Through the regular season, I'd say I was mostly positive, but he's been embarrassingly out-coached in this series.

Couldn't agree more. 

And then having the team do gassers in practice? Like WTF? 

• Keeps it 100 3

34 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

We know Dolan likes the high profiled name and Trotz is that.....however in my humbled opinion as successful as he's been, he'd be the wrong choice for this team.  Good luck trying to get Panarin to change his game, and Trotz prefers vets over young players and the Rangers have too many young players for Trotz to trust.  If this was 2-3 years down the road then possibly as the Lafs, Kakkos, Schneiders get more experience.  

I'm making tilapia tonight with lemon and dill, prob a lil soy sauce and prob a tiny bit of ginger as well. I'll make some rice and a small salad (arugula, red onion, salt, pepper, oregano, oil, vinegar) and I'm gonna fucking eat it at home in front of hockey.

And I'm gonna do this instead of going out to dinner with my gf on her only night off.

LGR!

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1

If Pierre Maguire was still doing his analysis for radio interviews.....he'd obviously be talking about Crosby a whole bunch, but he'd be talking about the Rangers having to plant the seed of doubt into the Penguins.....thats one thing that he always keyed on was planting the seed of doubt in the opposition when they're down like the Rangers.  

For the Rangers to "plant that seed of doubt", they gotta play like how they did in the first period of game 1 for a full 60 minutes.  They gotta blow out the Pens with a score of something like 5-1, 6-1 to plant that seed.  IMO if the game ends 2-1, the Pens will still go back to Pitt for Game 6 with some sort of confidence.  A blowout can change that confidence in a hurry.  

2 hours ago, Phil said:

It's not about being a badass or a bully unless by that you are actually talking about relentlessness (forechecking, backchecking) and determination (will, drive). Pens have it in spades. Rangers lack it in spades.

The problem with this matchup is that this experienced PIT team knows extremely well that they can cruise through parts of the regular season, and then how much you need to turn up the sheer will/desperation to succeed in the playoffs. Which is exactly what they've done the last couple games and unfortunately this Rangers squad simply has never experienced that in the trenches and has no clue what it takes to play a 'man's game in the playoffs'. 

48 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I'm making tilapia tonight with lemon and dill, prob a lil soy sauce and prob a tiny bit of ginger as well. I'll make some rice and a small salad (arugula, red onion, salt, pepper, oregano, oil, vinegar) and I'm gonna fucking eat it at home in front of hockey.

And I'm gonna do this instead of going out to dinner with my gf on her only night off.

LGR!

Interesting, I am pretty much having the same dinner, except my wife will make it. Pan fried tilapia with butter, some soy sauce and lemon, with bean thread/glass pasta, soy beans, funky looking small mushrooms, baby corn, etc. Fuck the salad, I like my meat eating the salad...

As for watching this game instead of going out with your gf, wow, now that's dedication! 😉

LFGR!!!

• LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1