• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rate Drury's Deadline Day

Pete

B.

Added enough to give us a better shot without sacrificing premium assets. But I think there’s still too much reliance on Laf/Kakko. They needed a top 6 right wing in all likelihood. Vatrano could surprise with that though. So could Laf and Kakko for that matter. A lot of faith being put in those 3 players to produce, but it’s not devoid of hope.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

B.

Added enough to give us a better shot without sacrificing premium assets. But I think there’s still too much reliance on Laf/Kakko. They needed a top 6 right wing in all likelihood. Vatrano could surprise with that though. So could Laf and Kakko for that matter. A lot of faith being put in those 3 players to produce, but it’s not devoid of hope.

Completely agree with this a complete 💩 and a half at the present time. 

Honestly don't see any reason to think Kakko after all this time off has any shot at returning and playing at a high level especially with the added pressure as the weeks roll by.  I second @Dunny thought from the other day bury him in Hartford 😁

Can we grade the complete and utter trash MSG Network has become? 2 channels, 4 teams to cover. And on deadline day, when our GM is giving a press conference, we can’t pop in on that because we have to watch a repeat of this Bettors crap?

The coverage on this network is just a joke. The Knicks always receive top billing, which is totally unfair. It used to be judged off of relevance of the game, or home and away, etc. Now, even with the Rangers in the midst of a huge push, the Knicks still bounce them off MSG to the Plus. And NOW, even the Devils and Islanders get it over us depending on night, etc? Just a joke. But on top of it all, no coverage of any of the teams outside of these garbage MSG Shorts.

They need to do better. I get they went more the entertainment route over the years, but it’s still a sports channel. I mean, this is a joke. One of the major markets in the world, and can’t get any coverage on the team we root for? Absolutely terrible coverage. And I’m 

sick of it.

#endrant

• The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Can we grade the complete and utter trash MSG Network has become? 2 channels, 4 teams to cover. And on deadline day, when our GM is giving a press conference, we can’t pop in on that because we have to watch a repeat of this Bettors crap?

The coverage on this network is just a joke. The Knicks always receive top billing, which is totally unfair. It used to be judged off of relevance of the game, or home and away, etc. Now, even with the Rangers in the midst of a huge push, the Knicks still bounce them off MSG to the Plus. And NOW, even the Devils and Islanders get it over us depending on night, etc? Just a joke. But on top of it all, no coverage of any of the teams outside of these garbage MSG Shorts.

They need to do better. I get they went more the entertainment route over the years, but it’s still a sports channel. I mean, this is a joke. One of the major markets in the world, and can’t get any coverage on the team we root for? Absolutely terrible coverage. And I’m 

sick of it.

#endrant

battlefield 1 time GIF

• LMFAO 2

A- On paper, looks great.

IMO, tough ask to get cohesive line play with less than 20 games until playoffs.   It would be different if there were only one or two new players.  Hopefully everything will be ironed out by the time the playoffs start, but you never know when you make changes on the fly.

B+ feels right. They vastly improved the bottom six which should hopefully help their 5v5 play. It sucks that they couldn't get anyone with term, but cap woes next season and very few players at reasonable hits limit that ability.

My biggest gripe is that I still have to watch Filip Chytil's stupid ass for a few more months.

3 hours ago, josh said:

5 on 5 scoring is a big issue.

Or backup goaltending.

Plus the 3rd pairing LD seems to be the issue. If Braun pushes out Schneider, I will whine.

Overall, I go with a A-. Solid moves, didnt lose any top prospects, filled some holes. The team is in a better place to compete, just not sure it was enough to be a cup favorite - But I dont know if I would have liked those moves, either.

There were no moves out there that would have made them the cup favorite.  I highly doubt Schneider is going anywhere and if that does happen that is on the coach.  Not sure who is the upgrade at backup goalie is?  5on 5 scoring should get a boost here with a competent 3rd line and added depth to the bottom 6.  

It's not reality at this point to complain about Laff and Kakko as how management sees them fitting in.  They are getting the opportunity like it or not.  This team is heavily invested in them and both have shown improvement this season.  I agree they can't wait forever but this deadline was not the time to end their status as foundation pieces of this franchise.

The deals made at this deadline give no reason for anyone to complain.  The areas that needed improvement where improved.  This was not a year to go all in and Drury didn't.  That said Drury added and fortified the team.  I'd argue the Rangers are as improved as anyone based on the trades made in the last two weeks.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1

18 minutes ago, josh said:

Maybe outsiders feel different, but I dont think he overpaid like some of these other deals out there 

I think they slightly overpaid for both Braun and Copp, but it was slight and we aren't talking first round picks or top prospects so it's all gucci. Not enough to complain about, though I'm sure there will be some.

We are in such a better position today than we were yesterday. We have 19 games to build chemistry. We still need wins but that’s to secure where we would like to finish, not to decide if we make the playoffs itself. That’s huge. We have youth that is going to gain experience. We added speed, grit, faceoff, and toughness. We are harder to play against today than we were yesterday.

I, pretty excited for the rest of this season. We can do special things. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Something also of note is the Rangers had all of that cap space and didn't utilize much of it. That's something that everyone was clamoring about, but it really didn't matter because it wasn't really used much to their advantage.

Well, they tried to. They pitched Giroux. They were in on Chychrun. But they filled some of it with the right players. That's what matters most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well, they tried to. They pitched Giroux. They were in on Chychrun. But they filled some of it with the right players. That's what matters most.

This, and they did use it. They didn't have to ask anyone to retain salary and therefore they didn't have to overpay.

If you told me a week ago the Rangers would add..

-One of the better 3C's in the league

-A middle six winger who can slot up in a pinch

-A solid, veteran D with significant playoff experience

-An unquestionable upgrade on the 4th line

..all whilst giving up next to nothing, I'd ask "where do I sign". I get the questions about addressing 5v5 scoring/a top 6 winger, but there weren't that many slam dunk options out there. And, tbh, I think there's something to be said for addressing the big needs whilst holding onto as many assets as possible. The Rangers will in all likelihood need to maneuver a fair bit to stitch things together for next season. You know what helps with that? Good prospects and 1st round picks. So my feeling is they struck a good balance between addressing needs whilst hanging on to assets that helps with flexibility for next season.

B+

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

First deadline as GM. I think he blended needed quantity with relative quality and didn't give up the farm. 

A++ for not getting over his skis

B+ for team upgrades.  Getting Rooney and Kappo back, this lineup has some real balance. Hopefully it translates into some more 5x5 scoring. Either way, this roster is much better equipped for the playoffs than it was 24 hours ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Something also of note is the Rangers had all of that cap space and didn't utilize much of it. That's something that everyone was clamoring about, but it really didn't matter because it wasn't really used much to their advantage.

I get that point of view and all, but I don’t think there was some slam dunk, must have piece out there that was available, and let’s be honest, there were some overpayments out there for guys. 

Id have loved Lehkonen personally. I think they could’ve gotten him, and I’m sure they tried. I think, despite what’s been written, what Colorado paid for him was actually fair. A high-end D prospect plus a 2nd round pick in 2024, isn’t that high of a price for a 26-year-old established NHL winger of his caliber who is still under control. 
Id have absolutely done Lundkvist plus a pick for him.

But you never know what Montreal asked for. May have been another piece they weren’t willing to part with. 

All in all, I think Drury did well.

Seriously addressed and improved the forward depth, which has been a major issue. It should improve secondary scoring as well as create a situation where Gallant doesn’t have to play some of the guys he’s had to in the bottom-6. Brought in another veteran D that can legitimately play 20 minutes a night when needed. 
And at the same time, he didn’t outright trade a 1st round pick, nor any of his top-prospects or young players, nor did he pull pieces off the NHL roster.

15 hours ago, rmc51 said:

B.

Definitely get the hesitancy on it, but I think its a good thing from Drury. Showing some faith in them can hopefully get the best from them. I hope Kakko comes back and knows they still view him very highly and are gonna give him an opportunity to succeed.

57 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Definitely get the hesitancy on it, but I think its a good thing from Drury. Showing some faith in them can hopefully get the best from them. I hope Kakko comes back and knows they still view him very highly and are gonna give him an opportunity to succeed.

They have to give those kids that opportunity.  Let's face it the next decade relies highly on what they develop into. Pulling the plug on them at this point is just not reality.  The fact that both barely get power play time is them taking their development slow.  I know the power play is great but most organizations build confidence with their young franchise players by letting/helping them put up points on the power play. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Capt said:

They have to give those kids that opportunity.  Let's face it the next decade relies highly on what they develop into. Pulling the plug on them at this point is just not reality.  The fact that both barely get power play time is them taking their development slow.  I know the power play is great but most organizations build confidence with their young franchise players by letting/helping them put up points on the power play. 

Patience. Patience. Patience. 
Giving up or moving on from these guys at this point would be a huge mistake.