• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Re-Signing Kevin Rooney

Ozzy

I don't know about you guys, but I think Rooney has given us some solid 4C play all season long.  I'm all for re-signing him, especially if the price is right.  I don't really know how long it will be before Barron is ready to take the reigns but I would think Rooney could go another 2 seasons with us.  We sure as hell haven't had much depth at center, and Rooney has proven himself to be quite capable in all zones, including the PK and at the face off dot.

If they say, got swept, in the playoffs and he didn’t get to do much I think he returns for a valued term over dollar. If we went further (god willing), then I worry he might be Goodrow’d by another team looking to pluck a character guy for more than we can pay. 

I really like Rooney if that’s not apparent. He’s a great defensive player particularly on the penalty kill. His offensive ability is reliant upon who he’s with. He looks great whenever he’s with Goodrow, but Reaves and McKegg aren’t exactly useful at creating offensive pressure.

I’d go as high as $1.25M for two years $2.5M total.

• TroCheckmark 1

25 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I really like Rooney if that’s not apparent. He’s a great defensive player particularly on the penalty kill. His offensive ability is reliant upon who he’s with. He looks great whenever he’s with Goodrow, but Reaves and McKegg aren’t exactly useful at creating offensive pressure.

I’d go as high as $1.25M for two years $2.5M total.

Same, but I'll also be honest about it: they might be able to improve on him. Johan Larsson, Ryan Carpenter, and Chris Tierney are all UFA this off-season. If they think they can get one of these guys for around the same it might cost to keep Rooney (I'm presuming around $1.5 million per), it's probably worth the risk?

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Same, but I'll also be honest about it: they might be able to improve on him. Johan Larsson, Ryan Carpenter, and Chris Tierney are all UFA this off-season. If they think they can get one of these guys for around the same it might cost to keep Rooney (I'm presuming around $1.5 million per), it's probably worth the risk?

I guess. The issue is that replacing Rooney really doesn’t solve the issue. You need to add two bodies to that 4th line if you’re letting him go. They’ve been missing an adequate third piece to that unit all season long.

Guess part of it is if you believe Blais makes it back next season. I don't think the forth line is off or would have been off this season if he stayed healthy or under any microscope is their biggest issue. I think Rooney is fine and I think Reaves has done exactly what he was brought here to do.  It's the holes above the 4th line that are the real problem. Playing Hunt, McKegg and Gauthier and getting near zero. Kakko and Chytil too. 

Then there's Barron who at this point almost needs all the stars in the sky to align just right just to make the lineup.

I just don't see it as the 4th line lacking an identity it's the gaping holes leading down to the 4th line.

Shrugs.

#NoTurdLines

Edited by jsrangers