• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Will it Mean for Russian Hockey Players and the NHL?

Sod16

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No worries. It's a weird situation, I've changed my mind on these topics a few times during the last days.

I just hope we're not rushing into things here. Banning 16/17 year olds is just dumb. Saying no to the Russian national team playing games representing Russia abroad is probably a good thing to do. Should probably do something with known Putin sympathizers like Ovi as well, but that's (probably) not going to happen.

It's a horrible situation and everyone wants to "do something", but it's important to take a step back and not do things just do something.

Right. Everyone wants to do something, but whatever is done has to be really vetted and thought through. Banning Russian imports from the CHL draft doesn't feel like it's been thought through. It feels reactionary.

• VINNY! 1

Right. And this isn't to say individual players can't be hit, too. Malkin, Ovechkin, and Varlamov most notably are known, outward supporters of Putin. I've got no problem with brands (like CCM) distancing themselves from them for exactly that reason. I've got no problem with fans, media, etc. effectively badgering them to take a stand, or to make their opinions public on this matter. But I have a real problem with literally painting ever Russian player as just some proxy extension of Putin's propaganda. That's bullshit. Like Hasek talking about how all Russian players should have their contracts cancelled, including anti-Putin players like Panarin.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Right. And this isn't to say individual players can't be hit, too. Malkin, Ovechkin, and Varlamov most notably are known, outward supporters of Putin. I've got no problem with brands (like CCM) distancing themselves from them for exactly that reason. I've got no problem with fans, media, etc. effectively badgering them to take a stand, or to make their opinions public on this matter. But I have a real problem with literally painting ever Russian player as just some proxy extension of Putin's propaganda. That's bullshit. Like Hasek talking about how all Russian players should have their contracts cancelled, including anti-Putin players like Panarin.

Yeah it makes no sense. I’m fine with the world trying to cancel the country right now because of their efforts of war mongering, but don’t cancel the players and/or civilians that have nothing to do with this. 

Even if Ovechkin said x, y, z in 2014. It’s still a huge stretch to tie that together with what’s happening in 2022. I’ll go by what a player says now/today over what they said years ago. If it matches what he or she said years ago then that’s a different story.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah it makes no sense. I’m fine with the world trying to cancel the country right now because of their efforts of war mongering, but don’t cancel the players and/or civilians that have nothing to do with this. 

Even if Ovechkin said x, y, z in 2014. It’s still a huge stretch to tie that together with what’s happening in 2022. I’ll go by what a player says now/today over what they said years ago. If it matches what he or she said years ago then that’s a different story.  

I mean, maybe, but at the very least, I'd want to to hear that different story before giving them the benefit of doubt.

Varlamov was photographed in a t-shirt that read "Crimea is ours" years back. Ovechkin and Malkin lead PutinTeam in 2014 and have routinely backed him at every turn. Even to this point, they have not condemned him. Ovechkin has simply stated "no war," to whatever end. That's not enough to convince me they don't actually still support him, so the last thing they'll get from me is sympathy when they're put in the brand warfare cross hairs.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I mean, maybe, but at the very least, I'd want to to hear that different story before giving them the benefit of doubt.

Varlamov was photographed in a t-shirt that read "Crimea is ours" years back. Ovechkin and Malkin lead PutinTeam in 2014 and have routinely backed him at every turn. Even to this point, they have not condemned him. Ovechkin has simply stated "no war," to whatever end. That's not enough to convince me they don't actually still support him, so the last thing they'll get from me is sympathy when they're put in the brand warfare cross hairs.

Honestly, i dont and i dont believe any Russian athlete or citizen here owes us any explanation. They are Russian. I expect them to lean more towards a rosy colored vision of their home country a lot more than i expect them to be Panarin. Even if they backed Putin previously. So what? It's their right. Cancelling anyone Russian now in the sports world feels dangerous hypocritical to the freedoms we have in North America. If they are actively spreading hate the that's a different story. However, even the Russians that have brought their family over here still have memories, friends, distant relatives, etc back in Russia. There's about 10 different reasons why they may publicly talk positive about Putin in the past whether it be from misinformation, being out of touch, scared, national pride, whatever. None of that really means much right now and this isn't their war. 

What's next? Start removing busts in the Hall of Fame of Soviet players like Tretiak? It's nuts to me that we are publicly shaming 16 and 17 year olds and banning them from junior draft because of what's going on in Russia. 

• Applause 1

Pretty much anything that hurts Russia’s economy and ability to conduct war should be on the table. I don’t see how the CHL ban accomplishes that. At best, it’s maybe a half twist of Putin’s nipples…maybe. That’s purely for self-gratification because “fuck Putin”, and punishes those undeserving of punishment instead. We need to be better than that. It’s important to be better than that.

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

It can be sure. But unless someone is openly lobbying for hate, aggression, etc, then I’m not sure canceling anyone Russian is the answer. 

As far as this war goes, yeah maybe but Putin has spoken out and said offensive things basically about anyone who isn't White and straight.

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

It can be sure. But unless someone is openly lobbying for hate, aggression, etc, then I’m not sure canceling anyone Russian is the answer. 

What's the difference between "openly lobbying for hate, aggression, etc" and voicing active support for a president openly engaged in aggression, and mass death?

Varlamov, Ovechkin, and Malkin are the three we know, beyond a shadow of doubt, have directly supported Putin. Varlamov literally supported their invasion of Crimea.

I think most if not all of us agree, though — painting all Russians with this stigma is going to do more harm than good.

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

Honestly, i dont and i dont believe any Russian athlete or citizen here owes us any explanation. They are Russian. I expect them to lean more towards a rosy colored vision of their home country a lot more than i expect them to be Panarin. Even if they backed Putin previously. So what? It's their right. Cancelling anyone Russian now in the sports world feels dangerous hypocritical to the freedoms we have in North America. If they are actively spreading hate the that's a different story. However, even the Russians that have brought their family over here still have memories, friends, distant relatives, etc back in Russia. There's about 10 different reasons why they may publicly talk positive about Putin in the past whether it be from misinformation, being out of touch, scared, national pride, whatever. None of that really means much right now and this isn't their war. 

What's next? Start removing busts in the Hall of Fame of Soviet players like Tretiak? It's nuts to me that we are publicly shaming 16 and 17 year olds and banning them from junior draft because of what's going on in Russia. 

Were Americans banned from international competitions during Vietnam or Iraq? 

After World War II , the good and great war, USAF General Curtis LeMay readily stated had the US lost, he would have been hung as a war criminal for not only Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but also firebombing Dresden. You can argue that it saved American soldiers' lives, but make no mistake that America as a tactic bombed civilian populations .

Don't think we should punish civilians for the wrong and evil actions of their governments. All the 1980 Moscow Olympic boycott did was a cost a mess of athletes their only chance to shine on the international stage. 

Greatest hope; this ends soon with no more loss of life,  and Putin is deposed. No illusions his successor would be any better, but he's bad for everyone's business. 

• Like 3

• Phil changed the title to What Will it Mean for Russian Hockey Players and the NHL?

Not 100% related but easiest place to put it is here

Former NHLer Ilya Kovalchuk has put his massive house in New Jersey back on the market.

The New York Post reports that Kovalchuk and his wife, Nicole Andrazajtis, have listed the 22,000 square-foot home located in Alpine for $15 million. The two tried to sell the mansion back in 2019 for $18 million, then dropped the price to $16 million a year later, but found no takers. They purchased the two-acre lot back in 2010 for roughly $4.5 million.

Kovalchuk, 38, purchased the eight-bedroom, 11-bathroom home shortly after he was traded to the New Jersey Devils from the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season. The house is said to include both a chef’s kitchen and a prep kitchen, a walk-in pantry and wine storage, as well as a lounge, theatre, bar and guest suite.

Kovalchuk signed an extremely lucrative 15-year, $100-million deal with the Devils shortly after the trade, but chose to leave the organization and return to the KHL after the 2012-13 season.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-nhl-superstar-ilya-kovalchuk-selling-new-jersey-mansion-for-15-million-221808145.html

On 3/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, Sharpshooter said:

Lumping all Russians into a pile because their leader is Putin is so foolish and a slippery slope. 

I was thinking about that when the bananas and credit cards were all shut down.

now, they only have Putin