• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Will it Mean for Russian Hockey Players and the NHL?

Sod16

I wonder if players have money in all of these banks whose assets are frozen.  What about ease of movement between North America and Russia?  What about all of the complicated arrangements between teams and the KHL?  What about players who are public supporters of Putin, like Ovechkin?  Etc.

I think it’s important to remember most of these guys have family back home so they can’t really come out and say they’re against Putin even if they are.  

It’s certainly awkward now and will continue to get more awkward if the situation escalates which it seems like it will. We may see less and less khl imports coming over. 

The only answer to any of these important questions right now is we don't know yet. It's still so early in all of this that it's quite difficult to project this far out. We've seen a handful of examples in the sports world react to it, pulling events/teams/sponsors, but larger issues like transfer agreements are total unknowns.

Washington Capitals captain and Russian native Alex Ovechkin asked for "no more war" amid Russia's attack on Ukraine while speaking with reporters on Friday.

The comments are the first Ovechkin has made publicly since Russia launched its attack on Ukraine on Thursday. The Capitals did not make him available to the media on Thursday.

"It's a hard situation. I have family back in Russia and it is scary moments," Ovechkin said. "But we can't do anything. We just hope it going to be end soon and everything is going to be all right."

He added: "Please, no more war. It doesn't matter who is in the war — Russia, Ukraine, different countries — I think we live in a world, like, we have to live in peace and a great world."

https://theathletic.com/news/please-no-more-war-alex-ovechkin-responds-to-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/T6PlTuf9dJ6m/

• Like 1

When asked if he supports Putin as the president leads the invasion of Ukraine, Ovechkin reiterated how he hopes the attack ends soon.

"Well, he is my president. But how I said, I am not in politics. I am an athlete and you know, how I said, I hope everything is going to be done soon," Ovechkin said. "It's (a) hard situation right now for both sides and everything. Everything I hope is going to end. I'm not in control of this situation."

This is about all he can say, I'd imagine. His family are all in Russia, and with how tightly he's aligned himself to Putin, he can't simply disavow him and not put them in jeopardy.

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Hasek needs to stop hitting the bottle. Terminating contracts because of where players are from? Way too extreme and honestly nonsensical. 

Agree, that's one of the dumber things I've read... Players represent the country they come from? Can a player quit Russia because they don't agree with what Putin is doing right now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree, that's one of the dumber things I've read... Players represent the country they come from? Can a player quit Russia because they don't agree with what Putin is doing right now?

Like, take the economic gains from hosting major events there like FIFA/UEFA and other sports, sure. But hurt the players? Not like they decided to invade

I would imagine that with all the bans and cancellations of events that Russia is facing in the world of sports and entertainment, the majority of Russian players, especially the well known ones, in all sports, are under huge pressure from the Kremlin right now, to return to Russia.  

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lumping all Russians into a pile because their leader is Putin is so foolish and a slippery slope. 

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It's no surprise really. Everyone needs to show how kind-hearted and good they are these days.

Like Putin gives a fuck about 16/17 y/old hockey players. And it won't effect their economy or the "country's morale" one bit. It's pure discrimination disguised as "solidarity".

Unfortunately what we're dealing with again is oversimplification of a complex issue.

Russia should absolutely be suspended from any type of international sporting events. When your country behaves the way Russia is behaving right now, you get kicked out of the playground.

Private entities such as FIFA, F1, NHL, CCM, etc., assessing the financial risks of doing business with Russia or Russian athletes are making the best decision for their business based on the PR as is their right.

Now specific players who openly support and campaigned for Putin... I'm looking at you Ovi... If you lose your endorsement deals or can't play in international competitions... Don't care. This isn't about you just being Russian, this is about your support for a murderous dictator who's now invading sovereign Nations. 

• VINNY! 1

Yup. Moreover, Russia and Putin, specifically, absolutely give a fuck about 16-17-year old hockey players. Their hockey program is a personal cause of Putin, who largely sees it as a means to legitimize his nation among the international community.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. Moreover, Russia and Putin, specifically, absolutely give a fuck about 16-17-year old hockey players. Their hockey program is a personal cause of Putin, who largely sees it as a means to legitimize his nation among the international community.

This is a long-rooted tenet of Russian/Soviet foreign policy - success in sport is a sign of legitimacy and advancement of culture. The context of Putin as the former head of the KGB can't be lost here - not only does he believe that sentiment (right out of Stalin), not only does he deeply care, he cares enough to do performative shit like skate in the KHL all-star game. 

That said, the CHL banning 16-year-old players simply because of their country of origin is dumb, xenophobic nonsense; there's a massive gap between "Being a Russian" and "Supporting a completely mad dictator" that we should respect.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm willing to bet both my balls that Putin don't give a fuck about the CHL import draft at this moment. Not one single thought about it. And I can guarantee it's not impacting his decision making one single bit.

I can understand banning a team from participating, especially with known Putin supporters, but stopping Russian kids from pursuing their dream because of a crazy leader he has NOTHING to do with is just discrimination. You can try to explain why you do it or try to justify it, but it's still discrimination. Now you decide if that's fine for you personally, but at least call a spade a spade.

• VINNY! 1

Sorry, I misunderstood your point, @Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc — I thought you were referring to all of the sports "sanctions" that have been put in place by removing events from Russia, like the World Juniors, not banning Russian players from an import draft. I had no idea the CHL was doing that, and I agree with you both (presumably) that that's a stupid fucking decision.

Just now, Pete said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Russian and Belarusian players drafted in the import draft rarely go to the CHL to play.

Indeed, but I wouldn't make this a formal thing. Just don't take them if you're worried.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Indeed, but I wouldn't make this a formal thing. Just don't take them if you're worried.

I can't help but wonder if there's a bit of a "fuck that, we saw what the Red Wings did in the 80s and what ended up happening" mindset around Russian players moving forward, assuming this doesn't end quickly.

If this goes on, how does this impact someone like Ivan Miroschnichenko, widely viewed as a top prospect for the 2022 draft - or longer term, someone like Matvei Michkov next year? 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your point, @Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc — I thought you were referring to all of the sports "sanctions" that have been put in place by removing events from Russia, like the World Juniors, not banning Russian players from an import draft. I had no idea the CHL was doing that, and I agree with you both (presumably) that that's a stupid fucking decision.

No worries. It's a weird situation, I've changed my mind on these topics a few times during the last days.

I just hope we're not rushing into things here. Banning 16/17 year olds is just dumb. Saying no to the Russian national team playing games representing Russia abroad is probably a good thing to do. Should probably do something with known Putin sympathizers like Ovi as well, but that's (probably) not going to happen.

It's a horrible situation and everyone wants to "do something", but it's important to take a step back and not do things just do something.