• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brian Flores Sues NFL, Claiming Bias in Giants Coaching Search

Blue Heaven

Look, I think at this point it's fair to say that the Rooney rule hasn't had the intended or desired effect, so one has to wonder why it isn't being revised or at least revisited to figure out why. 

Striving for diversity in high profile positions matters, but I think it's fair to say that this isn't working to meaningfully move the needle.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

They have been for the last ~20 years?

Because they were forced to! And even then, they can't make a minority hire for HC in a sport where ~70% of the players are minority?

Yea, nothing to see here....

On 2/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, josh said:

But hey, at least they have a rule to interview black guys to save face.

It's the equivalent to the equal rights job amendment guaranteeing women are paid the same as men that democrats pass through every 2 years, even though there are already multiple laws already in place.

They literally bring in minorities for entertainment requirements. Great rule.

There had to have been a year where there were more.

Mike Tomlin, Herm Edward's, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungee, Ray Rhodes, Romeo Crenel, Mike Singletary, Hue Jackson and others were all in the league as head coaches throughout the 2000s. I'd bet most were in the league together at the same time at one point. 

14 hours ago, G1000 said:

The rule requires fairness in the hiring practice, so if they indeed committed to Daboll and only brought Flores in to produce the image of being compliant with the rule, that's a problem. 

It does not require that Flores is hired, it merely requires that a minority is interviewed fairly.

But then can't anyone say they didn't get an interview and that THAT isn't fair? Where does it end?

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But then can't anyone say they didn't get an interview and that THAT isn't fair? Where does it end?

When they don't make the hire decision PRIOR to the interview. This isn't hard, man. 

If interview before hiring Daboll --> OK

If interview after hiring Daboll --> Not OK.

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

When they don't make the hire decision PRIOR to the interview. This isn't hard, man. 

I sort of disagree with that, just because it was a bit of a surprise when Flores was fired. Judge was basically a dead man walking for a while.  Daboll had been sought after and denied access to prior to the season ending by other teams. The Giants had been trying to get Daboll long before Judge was even fired. I get the rule but sometimes, it’s just a case of an organization having their collective brains set on a specific target. 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-judge-wanted-brian-daboll-with-giants-now-daboll-replaces-him/ar-AAThf0b

4 hours ago, G1000 said:

In THIS instance yes. I get thats what happened. 

I'm saying, whos going to stop the eventual, "I didn't even get interviewed" complaints that could possibly be the next irrational complaint?

This isn't hard and not sure why you thought you had to dumb it down. Obviously talking about a different situation. 

Edited by The Dude