• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#45) Rangers vs Minnesota Wild — Qvistmas Day; Henrik Lundqvist Retirement Night

Drew a Penalty

Everyone shits on Nemeth, Chytil, and Kakko - and it's warranted. But my god, the current lineup is brutal. Nemeth is miles better than Hajek and Jones. Chytil is miles better than Barron and who ever Brodsinsksi is. Kakko is better than literally every other RW. We're legitimately icing a preseason line up right now and when they go down in a game, it's hard to keep the faith.

I dunno how long some of these guys are supposed to be out, but we might lose out until the All Star break.  

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Unpopular opinion here from me lol, if you were a third party hockey fan you might look at that play and say it was interference.

I'd say that at the very least, to waive off a goal like that for interference, you ought to have clear and significant physical contact that obviously led to the goal.

Just ask yourself this question and the right call becomes obvious: had the refs never waived off the goal in the first place, would there be much controversy for not having made an interference call there? No way.

Also, pretend this is a big playoff or cup series with fans all over watching. Do you think hockey fans would be satisfied with the game being called that way? It'd be one thing if the contact and impact was obvious, but the game would be better off if that kind of goal counted.

Edited by Jdog99

19 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

I'd say that at the very least, to waive off a goal like that for interference, you ought to have clear and significant physical contact that obviously led to the goal.

Just ask yourself this question and the right call becomes obvious: had the refs never waived off the goal in the first place, would there be much controversy for not having made an interference call there? No way.

Also, pretend this is a big playoff or cup series with fans all over watching. Do you think hockey fans would be satisfied with the game being called that way? It'd be one thing if the contact and impact was obvious, but the game would be better off if that kind of goal counted.

Ask yourself if that goal was scored on Igor, what would you say?

My point of view is that a lot of calls like that can go either way, that's not as cut and dry as everyone here is making it seem ...but the team put themselves in that position where it cost them a game. 

Edited by Pete

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ask yourself if that goal was scored on Igor, what would you say?

My point of view is that a lot of calls like that can go either way, that's not as cut and dry as everyone here is making it seem ...but the team put themselves in that position where it cost them a game. 

I've honestly watched questionable calls go for the Rangers and been like 'eh...we were gifted one there'.

You even often hear Sam and Joe admit when a call going against the opposition wasn't all that solid. They may not be completely impartial, but they try to be reasonable, and they were dumbfounded at the call. Would be interesting to go back and listen to the Wild broadcast and listen to their take. 

I will say, you can argue the whistle should've been blown earlier - but that should just depend on whether or not the ref lost sight of the puck.

Edited by Jdog99

Just watched the replay again (this time sober), and I’m sorry, the wrong call was made. What is Strome supposed to do there? Not try and score? There was no whistle at that point, he didn’t push him. If trying to jam a puck is suddenly goalie interference, forgive me as I look for another sport to follow. Unfortunate. Yes, we sucked. But we did enough there to tie the game, and it was stolen from us. Just a bad job by that god awful official. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

Everyone shits on Nemeth, Chytil, and Kakko - and it's warranted. But my god, the current lineup is brutal. Nemeth is miles better than Hajek and Jones. Chytil is miles better than Barron and who ever Brodsinsksi is. Kakko is better than literally every other RW. We're legitimately icing a preseason line up right now and when they go down in a game, it's hard to keep the faith.

I dunno how long some of these guys are supposed to be out, but we might lose out until the All Star break.  

Meh. Nemeth stinks, Barron isn't bad at all and we aren't missing production from Kakko or Chytil, but they are definitely better than what's replacing them. 

Hajek has been fine. I think he's better than Nemeth by a mile. I like seeing him carry the puck deep and finding a passing lane. He's had some nice defensive plays. Jones had a couple hiccups last night,  but I'd much rather see rookie brain farts than lazy uninspired stupidity from Nemeth.  

They seriously need a 3td line center and go from there. No more Mckegg. No more Hunt. Gotta get something better than the vets on the taxi squad. Barron looked like he belonged IMO. Nothing to complain about for a guy that tops out as a 3rd line center. 

• Keeps it 100 1

21 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Just watched the replay again (this time sober), and I’m sorry, the wrong call was made. What is Strome supposed to do there? Not try and score? There was no whistle at that point, he didn’t push him. If trying to jam a puck is suddenly goalie interference, forgive me as I look for another sport to follow. Unfortunate. Yes, we sucked. But we did enough there to tie the game, and it was stolen from us. Just a bad job by that god awful official. 

Add in the constant jabbing and contact to Shestyorkin that wasn't called all night, to make that call is bad. That was weak. 

I'd have been OK with the ref saying he blew the whistle or the legendary "was going to blow the whistle" for the reason to say no goal. But interference? Nah. 

3 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

Two separate issues imo.

If I'm a third party hockey fan - neither Rangers nor Wild - but just a big hockey fan watching an exciting game thats coming down to the wire, I'm pretty sure I'm disgusted by getting cheated out of seeing an amazing and totally legit buzzer beater followed by OT.

You're focused on the wrong problem.  You're letting yourself be distracted by that one referee call in the final minute, and thinking this has more impact than the Rangers play over sixty minutes.  The Rangers coasted for about half the game on two consecutive nights, which is an issue that needs to be addressed.  It's a losing mentality to point the finger of responsibility at other factors, rather that pointing the finger at the team itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

you're 100% on the money, our JAGS are bad but our replacement plugs for those JAGS are even worse and it shows, alot.

It's a terrible call. But over the course of a season, that's gonna even out. 

Bigger problems; anemic offensive production outside of the top guys. Defensemen disinclined to take the body(looks like every D spare Trouba would rather stick check than take the body). Failure to sustain offensive pressure. Every team is going to ebb and flow within the game, but this team looks like it cheats on work ethic. They simply have too often not given a full 60 minute effort. If they took care of some of these things, and especially playing 60 minutes, this game never gets to that point and that bad call doesn't come into play. 

Would like to think a healthy Fox also puts these last 2 games in the win column. 

As far as what we should be focusing on, the call or the less than stellar effort...

Sure, we've been in a funk for the last bunch of games. We were in a funk before that earlier in the season, and bounced back.

But if you can pull out a handful of wins or ties when your not playing all that well, that counts for alot. Its pretty uncommon for any team to peak early on in the season and just ride that high the entire way. Ideally your in peak form by the time playoffs kick off.

57 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

One more point on the call - dont goalies typically kick thier legs to back of the net in that situation to get some more leverage? Thats what that looked like to me.

His skate started out against the post before Strome stick hits his pad near his skate. 

This view is a little different than the other one. But yeah both sides are dug in here, so not a hill to die on. Be better in the next game and avoid giving away big chunks of the game maybe?

35 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

His skate started out against the post before Strome stick hits his pad near his skate. 

This view is a little different than the other one. But yeah both sides are dug in here, so not a hill to die on. Be better in the next game and avoid giving away big chunks of the game maybe?

Wow - look closely - you can see Talbot's leg go back simultaneously as he reaches to cover the puck. It's a standard goalie move - 100% voluntary.