• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Is the Biggest Waste of Money?

Phil

I never had any kids, and never got married, so I can only take what you guys say as truth....I believe you, though....Trust me!!!  I've seen most of my friends go through all that!!  ...and then-some!!

I can tell you from a single guy's perspective though.  Here are my top 3:

• Drinking is definitely a waste of money....and what's more is there are those times I can't even remember what fun I had while I was out ripping it up.  I still don't really spend as much as I used to though.  Most of the extra spending is tipping.  I'm usually a pretty good tipper...or so I'm told....sometimes too good!!  😉

• Next up is Sports cars.  Yeah, I love them, and I've had 4 Corvettes, a '95, '99, 2004 Convertible, and now the 2019 Convertible.  They're a fucking blast to drive, but I hardly ever get a chance to take the old hot rod out anymore.  The weather sucks 6 months out of the year, and add in the fact that most drivers on Long Island drive like old people fuck....slow and sloppy!  My 2019 has only 9k miles on it.  The '04 I ran to the moon and back (149K miles) before it just fell apart like the Blues Brothers car at the end!  LOL

• Lastly, is musical equipment...
    I have 7 guitars and only 2 arms!  I love to play them but I'm never satisfied with just one.  My Les Paul sounds great, and the Strat-o-Caster still feels great in my hands, but gimme that Martin 12 string acoustic...man, that thing rings out nice!  The problem is the electronic shit like pedals and amps.  Trying to keep up with all the new shit they make is damn near impossible.  After a while I said Fuck it.  I settled for a sound that somewhere in between Randy Rhodes and Boston.

Some of those Martins are really expensive though...My D41 was $9,500 bucks....fucking salesman saw me coming, that's for sure!!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

I'm leery of saying kids. At some point, the investment is supposedly worth it, but fuck, they cost a lot. Plus, the issue isn't that the kids cost a lot, it's that the stuff they one-time use (more than anything else) is costly. Like, fuck diapers, fuck those toys they use just once, fuck the 9mo range of clothes, etc.

I always say cars here - not your run-of-the-mill Toyota or what have you, but those people who buy mid-range luxury cars because they can. I fully understand the folks who buy a Ferrari or a Lambo or a Vette - assuming you care for it, they actually tend to appreciate in value, but the people who buy BMWs and the like? Wasteful.

13 hours ago, Phil said:

I'm going with tickets to professional sports.

no worse feeling than dropping bank to see your favorite teams play and they get smoked.

One good thing I like about going to the racetrack and betting horses is, you can lose every bet and be down a bunch and still have fun. If I paid to go to that Calgary game i'd be pissed.

I went to an away game in Ottawa and saw them get shutout 3-0. Tough trip lol

10 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

no worse feeling than dropping bank to see your favorite teams play and they get smoked.

It's more than that, though — the price of admission just gets you in. Add to that the cost of concessions, and possibly travel, and it's just not even remotely worth it in the majority of cases.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's more than that, though — the price of admission just gets you in. Add to that the cost of concessions, and possibly travel, and it's just not even remotely worth it in the majority of cases.

Hit up the Blarney Stone before a Rangers game and then you only have to worry about spending another $50 on beers inside lol

16 hours ago, Keirik said:

As I have no kids yet, I’ll say our 150 person engagement formal party I wanted no part of since we had a 15 person wedding that was a dinner only. 
becore that, I’d say the rock I bought her. Fml.

Definitely weddings. I loved mine, wasn't expensive by most standards, still overpriced. Which reminds me.  

Note to anyone getting married.  Don't skimp on your photographer. We did (well for 3k apparently we did!!!!) and got garbage pictures. I mean THE WORST. I swear we could have given a camera to a 4 year old and gotten better pictures.  Go off of actual references. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Definitely weddings. I loved mine, wasn't expensive by most standards, still overpriced. Which reminds me.  

Note to anyone getting married.  Don't skimp on your photographer. We did (well for 3k apparently we did!!!!) and got garbage pictures. I mean THE WORST. I swear we could have given a camera to a 4 year old and gotten better pictures.  Go off of actual references. 

Funny you mention photographer. Ours cancelled on us 8pm the night before the wedding. We were livid. 

Just now, Keirik said:

Funny you mention photographer. Ours cancelled on us 8pm the night before the wedding. We were livid. 

Both me and my wife hate staged photos so we declined having a photographer. Pics with our parents could have been a bit better but other than that we really enjoyed all the candid shots people sent us afterwards. Great way to save some money if you dont care for those "romantic" photos a lot of people seem to hang up on the walls. 

• Like 1