• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gary Bettman, Done in the NHL?

siddious

• Phil changed the title to Gary Bettman, Done in the NHL?

An "agent provacateur," is railing against a Commissioner who just oversaw the league make in ten months what they did in ten years in television rights alone? Color me shocked.

Let me guess, he's going to talk all about it next episode? Tune in to find out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

An "agent provacateur," is railing against a Commissioner who just oversaw the league make in ten months what they did in ten years in television rights alone? Color me shocked.

Let me guess, he's going to talk all about it next episode? Tune in to find out!

yes sir, nailed it.  Bettman is a jackass of a human being but as you point out he continues to make the rich even richer. For them to flip on him would be hard to imagine imo.  I would think a good number of them don't think he did them any favors publicly when it comes to this issue. However a quick look at the bottom line on the spreadsheet for many will most likely sooth that itch.

Sure there is a cabal of big market owners like Dolan, Habs, Leafs who do not appreciate Bettman pushing the cap as this wonderful cost certainty competitive balance thing forever. And then doing nothing when TBL and VGK pretty much circumvent it, whether that's within the rules or not. But are there enough such owners, off a good TV deal that makes them very rich, I doubt that. 

Would like to think the drug allegations by Carcillo and Lerner might cause them some 2nd thoughts about Bettman's approach to those things. But I don't see that either. 

And as to the CBH mess, what should he have done different? It's awful, but the bad actors are now mostly gone. If Quenneville or Bowman are offered a job, may be revisited. But who knows. Seems like a stretch to make that about Bettman.  

Edited by Bugg