• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin Stole One of Many More?

Pete

Igor finally stole a game last night. For the first time since he's been here, the Rangers won a game they had no business winning, specifically because Shesty was head and shoulders the best player on the ice.

Here's to hoping he can repeat efforts like that because this team isn't built to cover for an ordinary goalie, and he needs to earn that contract.

Good job, Igor!

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Igor finally stole a game last night. For the first time since he's been here, the Rangers won a game they had no business winning, specifically because Shesty was head and shoulders the best player on the ice.

Here's to hoping he can repeat efforts like that because this team isn't built to cover for an ordinary goalie, and he needs to earn that contract.

Good job, Igor!

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

I'm really glad to see this one, Pete!  The guy was fabulous!  Kinda reminded me of this #30 guy we used to have!  LOL

3 minutes ago, CCCP said:

What’s your point?

Dude stole more games than Jesse James back in the days of the Detroit "dynasty"...I think he won the Vexina like 5 or 6 times and the Cup, definitely in '02, and I believe '08, where he was bionic.

It happens quite a bit for good teams, is what I'm saying.  Price did it last year for the Habs, and they weren't a shitty team, they just needed a little Vitamin Carey!  LOL

Come to think about it, I saw Dryden do it for the Canadiens in the mid to late 70's plenty of times against the Bruins and Flyers.

2 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I'm not sure this is something to celebrate. You just want a goalie capable of stealing a game. Most of us already knew Shesterkin was capable. Hopefuly he doesn't have to steal another game lol

Personally, its just nice to see Igor come in and play this well. He was highly touted but I dont think most of us saw him dominate like that until just now. I feel a lot more comfortable about the goaltending here after these last few games. Now if he can only stay healthy.

• Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to Igor Shesterkin Stole One of Many More?
48 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

You just want a goalie capable of stealing a game. Most of us already knew Shesterkin was capable

No, you need a goalie to be capable of stealing a game and he never has...so no one "knew" he could. And now we do, so yay. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

If your goalie has to steal games for your team to win, your team sucks. 

I guess the Devils sucked all those years with Brodeur.  Sign me up for sucking like that please.  I'm all for sucking our way to the Cup.

• LOL 1

I was gonna let this one slide, but then I saw this post from the Rangers Twitter:

How could this be the first game Shesterkin stole if he won 7 games while the team allowed 40+ shots?

So I decided to look:

1/9/20 - Rangers 6-3 W vs. NJD 49 shots to 37

2/9/20 - Rangers 4-1 W vs. LAK 43 shots to 41

2/11/20 - Rangers 4-1 W vs. WPG 44 shots to 32

2/19/20 - Rangers 6-3 W vs. CHI 40 shots to 41

2/22/20 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. SJS 46 shots to 33

3/25/21 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. PHI 44 shots to 22

4/6/21 - Rangers 8-4 W vs. PIT 44 shots to 25

10/18/21 - Rangers 2-1 W vs. TOR 41 shots to 23

And courtesy of Evolving Hockey (h/t to @Drew a Penaltyfor the info), here are the advanced stats and GSAx for each one.

image.png

So it was very clearly one of his best games. But his first steal? Nope. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

7 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I was gonna let this one slide, but then I saw this post from the Rangers Twitter:

How could this be the first game Shesterkin stole if he won 7 games while the team allowed 40+ shots?

So I decided to look:

1/9/20 - Rangers 6-3 W vs. NJD 49 shots to 37

2/9/20 - Rangers 4-1 W vs. LAK 43 shots to 41

2/11/20 - Rangers 4-1 W vs. WPG 44 shots to 32

2/19/20 - Rangers 6-3 W vs. CHI 40 shots to 41

2/22/20 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. SJS 46 shots to 33

3/25/21 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. PHI 44 shots to 22

4/6/21 - Rangers 8-4 W vs. PIT 44 shots to 25

10/18/21 - Rangers 2-1 W vs. TOR 41 shots to 23

And courtesy of Evolving Hockey (h/t to @Drew a Penaltyfor the info), here are the advanced stats and GSAx for each one.

image.png

So it was very clearly one of his best games. But his first steal? Nope. 

Here's why I'm wrong, he actually had a similar performance here: 3/25/21 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. PHI 44 shots to 22

Here's why you're wrong, games the Rangers win 6-3 or 4-1 are not stolen by a goalie, the same way a 2-1 OT with where TO had a majority of monster chances is stolen by the goalie.

Who decided that a win with 40+ games is the definition of a "steal"? Rangers Twitter?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's why I'm wrong, he actually had a similar performance here: 3/25/21 - Rangers 3-2 W vs. PHI 44 shots to 22

Here's why you're wrong, games the Rangers win 6-3 or 4-1 are not stolen by a goalie, the same way a 2-1 OT with where TO had a majority of monster chances is stolen by the goalie.

Who decided that a win with 40+ games is the definition of a "steal"? Rangers Twitter?

I'm sorry if a goalie faces 40+ shots and allows 1 or 2 goals, that's a steal. They've won all of the games he's played in which they allowed 40+ shots (7). That's damn good.

You're like a demanding parent:
"Oh you got an A on the test? WHY NOT AN A+?!"

24 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I'm sorry if a goalie faces 40+ shots and allows 1 or 2 goals, that's a steal. They've won all of the games he's played in which they allowed 40+ shots (7). That's damn good.

You're like a demanding parent:
"Oh you got an A on the test? WHY NOT AN A+?!"

Pete's argument is more like, "You got am A on the test, but the only question was to spell your name. "

You get 6 or 8 goals from you're teammates, you didn't steal anything. 

Edited by Long live the King
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Pete's argument is more like, "You got am A on the test, but the only question was to spell your name. "

You get 6 or 8 goals from you're teammates, you didn't steal anything. 

And the other 4 games?

And wow, getting shelled for 40+ shots sounds like a tough test of spelling your name.