• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Preseason Game #2: Rangers vs Bruins, 7pm, NHLN/MSG

Drew a Penalty

Was pretty impressed with Pajuniemi.  I knew he could shoot, but he looked really good carrying the puck as well and showed good offensive awareness.  I don't know when, but I think this kid is legit and makes it.  If he can play well enough defensively to fit a bottom 6 role then he will be such a huge luxury as a trigger man on the 2nd PP unit. 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Question, was Tyler Wall originally chosen to play goalie as a pee wee due to his name?  Did he play well tonight?  I don't know.  All over sized goalies who play on their knees look the same to me.

He was solid. Nothing earth shattering though 

3 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

“The #NYR threw 37 hits. The Reaves-Rooney-Blais line threw 13 of them. Sammy Blais led all Blueshirts with 8 hits. On defense Braden Schneider had 7 hits...Trouba has the biggest boom of the night.” (4EverBlueshirts)

We might have finally become tilted ever so slightly towards becoming a more physical team. 

Yea they looked like a hockey team for the first time in ages. Blais is everything lemieux was supposed to be (well tonight he was).

was fun to watch. Now can they play like this every game? 

To me it didn't really matter that they were playing an AHL team basically. I just saw a lot of confidence coming from our young players and prospects. Everything has kind of been said already in here, but you get the vibes that there's going to be structure. Their organizational depth was on full display too. 

• Like 1

I fell asleep late in the 2nd, but it was a fun pre-season game.

Kakko (and Panarin obv) was the best players on the ice, looked like men among boys.

Jones was awesome. I hate to make the comparison, but man did he look like Fox 2.0 this game. Obviously not against the same type of opponents, but he was fun to watch.

Schneider was good, Miller was solid. Trouba a little all over the place (as usual).

I did like Richards game a lot. As mentioned earlier by others, he'll definitely start in the AHL, but it doesnt look like the way up for him is too long.

The "4th line" was fun aswell. I have a feeling Blais is gonna be a fan favourite. Man was hitting everything in front of him AND he could play.

Kakko looked so good, I'm excited to see what he can do playing this way with some actual talent now. I saw him basically combining what he did the previous two seasons and taking it to another level. He was exuding confidence and didn't look timid at all. I'm also really excited about Jones. Keep him and fuck trading for Eichel. lol If Schneider can be a Beukeboom type with a bit more offense, sign me up.

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Isn’t Bronzinski a type of fish eye talians eat? 

"Eye-talians"   LOL

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

The way Kakko is playing tonight is giving me some blood flow.

move over Kev, I'm hopping on that bandwagon too!!!  ?

11 hours ago, josh said:

Trouba is going to get named captain and get waived in the same week!

........And here are the finalists for Ozzy's Quote of The GDT for last night: (sponsored by the "Give the "C" to Fox" committee)

The winner goes to Josh for basically saying what a lot of us were thinking!!!  LOL

My Selke candidate was looking pretty good!  ...and you guys are right about Jones;  seemed he was on the ice every other shift! 

8 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Was pretty impressed with Pajuniemi.  I knew he could shoot, but he looked really good carrying the puck as well and showed good offensive awareness.  I don't know when, but I think this kid is legit and makes it.  If he can play well enough defensively to fit a bottom 6 role then he will be such a huge luxury as a trigger man on the 2nd PP unit. 

Agree, his release looks lethal. he definitely needs some time in Hartford but there's gonna be a lot of guys competing for roster spots and ice time, throughout the year, not just in camp

Schneider and Jones and Lundkvist could all deserve that last spot on D. Id rather not have any of them as the 7th but its hard to keep these guys off the roster behind guys like Bitetto and Tinordi. Yeah Bitetto had a goal yesterday, love the guy, but he's not a real option. Would be fine if he's our emergency 7th Dman ahead of Tinordi but, if there's an injury, and there's time to call a guy up, Id rather one of the two that get sent to Hartford get the call over whoever is our 7th

Blais, aside from that penalty, which I thought was pretty weak, looked pretty good. I love that line playing physical. Lets be a team thats hard to play against. I feel like having him here kind of makes Goodrow not necessary, especially for hte contract length we gave him. But it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Agree, his release looks lethal. he definitely needs some time in Hartford but there's gonna be a lot of guys competing for roster spots and ice time, throughout the year, not just in camp

Schneider and Jones and Lundkvist could all deserve that last spot on D. Id rather not have any of them as the 7th but its hard to keep these guys off the roster behind guys like Bitetto and Tinordi. Yeah Bitetto had a goal yesterday, love the guy, but he's not a real option. Would be fine if he's our emergency 7th Dman ahead of Tinordi but, if there's an injury, and there's time to call a guy up, Id rather one of the two that get sent to Hartford get the call over whoever is our 7th

Blais, aside from that penalty, which I thought was pretty weak, looked pretty good. I love that line playing physical. Lets be a team thats hard to play against. I feel like having him here kind of makes Goodrow not necessary, especially for hte contract length we gave him. But it is what it is. 

I'll keep Goodrow...I'll keep Blais, and any other "hard to play against" player, BBB.  I don't think we can have too many of those types of players.  Pete said it really well in a post he just put up.  Players like that drain a team's back line over the course of a game, and that's what makes them really valuable.  Over the course of a 7 game series it grinds down their defensive players when they have to keep retrieving pucks and getting blasted into the boards each time.

As far as the contract for Goodrow....I'd rather pay a guy like Goodrow, for what we know he can do and does on a regular basis, rather than hope another guy acquires or grows into a grinder.  We've spent a lot of money in the past on a LOT worse guys than Goodrow.  I'll take every big, tough, grinding forward we can get....Even throw Hunt in that mix as well.  ?

The problem for guys like Pajuniemi is he's a bit of a one-trick pony. Reminds me of a guy like Pirri from years past. They can work, but they tend to only really make NHL squads that lack viable depth.

That's not a problem the Rangers project to have. Even if you fast-forward to a point where Kreider — the most obvious candidate — is moved, his spot is almost certainly going to be filled by Othmann, not a single-tool player like Pajuniemi.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

The problem for guys like Pajuniemi is he's a bit of a one-trick pony. Reminds me of a guy like Pirri from years past. They can work, but they tend to only really make NHL squads that lack viable depth.

That's not a problem the Rangers project to have. Even if you fast-forward to a point where Kreider — the most obvious candidate — is moved, his spot is almost certainly going to be filled by Othmann, not a single-tool player like Pajuniemi.

Agree. I've seen some Pajuniemi games over the last years and I think I've even used Pirri as a comparison for him in the past.

His shot is really good and he could turn into a really good NHL scorer but he's not really what the Rangers need. He's not talented enough to take a top 6 spot (Now or in the near future) and he's not good enough defensively and off the puck to play a bottom 6 NHL role. No PP spot for him either.

I feel like he'll either end up as a middle 6 forward for a bad NHL team or head back to Europe in a couple of years. Would be cool if I were wrong, cause I've enjoyed watching him at times.

25 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Agree. I've seen some Pajuniemi games over the last years and I think I've even used Pirri as a comparison for him in the past.

His shot is really good and he could turn into a really good NHL scorer but he's not really what the Rangers need. He's not talented enough to take a top 6 spot (Now or in the near future) and he's not good enough defensively and off the puck to play a bottom 6 NHL role. No PP spot for him either.

I feel like he'll either end up as a middle 6 forward for a bad NHL team or head back to Europe in a couple of years. Would be cool if I were wrong, cause I've enjoyed watching him at times.

Exactly. His value to the Rangers is probably in a trade. Anaheim, Buffalo, whoever — those are the clubs who could possibly give him a real shot.

• Phil unpinned this topic
55 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I know it’s only the 2nd preseason game and Kakko’s first but his skating definitely looks better.  Time will tell

also how does Panarin miss the second breakaway? Trade him

I was waiting for it.....  LOL

...and take that fucking Fox guy with him!!  I hardly even noticed him at all last night!  It was like he wasn't even there!!!!

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but I think it's a bit soon to declare him a one trick pony.  I was surprised because his offensive game was more well rounded than I was expecting last night and he still may be able to develop a more defensive game now that our coaches have him.  He's only just getting to our organization now and is still pretty young.  I wanna see what some time in Hartford does.