• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Reaves to NYR Youth - Call Me Daddy

Phil

I don’t understand why there was upset over trading for Reeves and extending him an extra year. It’s very little money. He’s a veteran guy who brings several things that they need, and isn’t just some straight goon  who can’t actually play hockey. As for the 3rd round pick going to Vegas, the likelihood of that pick turning into a player better than Reaves or helping them anytime in the next 3-4 years is slim to none.

It was a good add. 

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t understand why there was upset over trading for Reeves and extending him an extra year. It’s very little money. He’s a veteran guy who brings several things that they need, and isn’t just some straight goon  who can’t actually play hockey. As for the 3rd round pick going to Vegas, the likelihood of that pick turning into a player better than Reaves or helping them anytime in the next 3-4 years is slim to none.

It was a good add. 

Because blue bar good, red bar bad. Also, the pacifists who'd like to eliminate violence of any stripe from the sport loathe anyone who still practices it.

5 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

It was a good add. 

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Because blue bar good, red bar bad. Also, the pacifists who'd like to eliminate violence of any stripe from the sport loathe anyone who still practices it.

Or maybe because the last few times we saw this, it was bad? 

Brash, Asham, Glass just a few.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Or maybe because the last few times we saw this, it was bad? 

Brash, Asham, Glass just a few.

Last time they brought in a veteran presence to help a young, very talented team? Don't remember that with Glass. Glass and Reaves is also a very bad comparison. Yes, they both like to fight, but that's also where the comparison between the two stops.

Worst case scenario Reaves can't play hockey to save his life and he'll barely play. Rangers lost a 3rd round pick for a guy thats clearly teaching the young guys how to protect themselves. Its really hard to see where the problem here is. Do we value 3rd round picks this much now? We got a 4th for Howden ffs.

4 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Last time they brought in a veteran presence to help a young, very talented team? Don't remember that with Glass. Glass and Reaves is also a very bad comparison. Yes, they both like to fight, but that's also where the comparison between the two stops.

Worst case scenario Reaves can't play hockey to save his life and he'll barely play. Rangers lost a 3rd round pick for a guy thats clearly teaching the young guys how to protect themselves. Its really hard to see where the problem here is. Do we value 3rd round picks this much now? We got a 4th for Howden ffs.

I'd need you to unpack the bolded a little more. They're both terrible players who only can do one thing at this point in their careers, and that one thing is only required a handful of times a year. He had a whopping 3 fights last year, on pace for 4 in a full year. Wow.

You're looking at the move in a vacuum. After adding guys like Goodrow, Tinordi and Blais, they didn't need to then go out and add Reaves (who I'm actually a big fan of, he's a great guy from what I've seen) and then also extend him. Based on what we've seen from some of the kids, he actually is taking a spot from a younger player this year, and there's a greater chance he will be next year.

It was just a player we didn't need, I don't care how much he hugs Kravstov at practice.

Edited by Pete

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pete said:

This whole "dad" thing is completely overblown. 

Easy to say when you're not the one it affects. Similar things have been said of Marleau, Thornton, Chara, and lots of other veteran leaders. Just because you find it absurd or overblown doesn't mean the guys looking up to these guys, who are directly affected, in the room, on the ice, do, too.

Frankly, I treat all these leadership/mentorship things the same as I do captaincy letters. We know next to nothing about what works, who leads, who doesn't, who deserves it, etc. I basically just trust that the guys in the room, the coaching staff, and the front office get it right, or certainly more right than we could watching a couple of post game pressers and inaudible in-game footage of players talking to each other.

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

Easy to say when you're not the one it affects. Similar things have been said of Marleau, Thornton, Chara, and lots of other veteran leaders. Just because you find it absurd or overblown doesn't mean the guys looking up to these guys, who are directly affected, in the room, on the ice, do, too.

Frankly, I treat all these leadership/mentorship things the same as I do captaincy letters. We know next to nothing about what works, who leads, who doesn't, who deserves it, etc. I basically just trust that the guys in the room, the coaching staff, and the front office get it right, or certainly more right than we could watching a couple of post game pressers and inaudible in-game footage of players talking to each other.

another key component is Gallant’s coaching style. we’ve heard from the get go how “hands off” he is. he’s all business for practice and game day but outside of that he leaves things to the players. not a stretch to see why every team he’s coached has had a player dad and why Reaves was a no brainer over the summer. 

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's easy for me to say because if Reeves weren't here, they would just be going to somebody else LOL.

We have heard the exact same things about Kreider and Trouba. Trouba was Kakko's chauffeur his first year. He's been mentoring Miller. 

I just don't think he's a unicorn filling a specific role that nobody else could do if he weren't here, because that's just not the case.

But knowing you for years I also know that you'll go out of your way to defend this kind of player. And before you go to the nonsense of "well you just don't like him", that's absurd. I like him fine. I just have a realistic gauge of his value to the team and don't go out of my way to overblow it. On ice results are all that matter, and if this team can't win without number 75 then they're in real trouble. 

1 minute ago, shestYORKin said:

another key component is Gallant’s coaching style. we’ve heard from the get go how “hands off” he is. he’s all business for practice and game day but outside of that he leaves things to the players. not a stretch to see why every team he’s coached has had a player dad and why Reaves was a no brainer over the summer. 

This is, again, a reach. 

I mean you’re not wrong that someone else would likely fill the role but fact is it’s Reaves. he’s the oldest, he knows the coach/system, and the players clearly trust and look up to him. there’s value that shouldn’t be diminished or just pawned off like anyone would be just as good a fit. 

11 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

I mean you’re not wrong that someone else would likely fill the role but fact is it’s Reaves. he’s the oldest, he knows the coach/system, and the players clearly trust and look up to him. there’s value that shouldn’t be diminished or just pawned off like anyone would be just as good a fit. 

That's not what I'm disputing. Every comment I've made on this thread has strictly been about the on ice product.

That somehow has transitioned into a dialogue about his overall value to the team, and I never said anything about that. "They can win without him", "Yea but he's daddy..."...ok, what does that have anything to do with what I originally said?

The fact is this team should be able to win without Reeves on the ice, and that's all I ever said.  

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's easy for me to say because if Reeves weren't here, they would just be going to somebody else LOL.

We have heard the exact same things about Kreider and Trouba. Trouba was Kakko's chauffeur his first year. He's been mentoring Miller. 

I just don't think he's a unicorn filling a specific role that nobody else could do if he weren't here, because that's just not the case.

But knowing you for years I also know that you'll go out of your way to defend this kind of player. And before you go to the nonsense of "well you just don't like him", that's absurd. I like him fine. I just have a realistic gauge of his value to the team and don't go out of my way to overblow it. On ice results are all that matter, and if this team can't win without number 75 then they're in real trouble. 

Right, so how is it overblown? The concept is clearly real.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right, so how is it overblown? The concept is clearly real.

Because then the question is posed "What does the loss of Reaves mean" to a player in a post game presser, a hockey player is not going to day "Nothing, we'll be fine".

3 hours ago, Phil said:

3 guys 1 cup

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

• 5 months later...