• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tomas Hertl

The Dude

Decent two way guy. Checks some boxes (faceoffs). Understands that players who want to win and be a part of a winner have to accept less money to make a roster work.

Maybe he's a target during the season or if negotiations with Zibanejad or Strome don't go so well. Any deal would have to be made with an extension worked out. Or do you wait and see if he hits the market as a free agent?

He'd also have to consider this team as a potential contender, soo.... ehhh.

"REPORT: Hertl on His Desire to Win, Evander Kane | San Jose Hockey Now" https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-tomas-hertl-trade-ufa-free-agent-idnes-interview-translation/

SJ is garbage. They'll demand too much for him.

Chytil is cheaper and on a similar projection

Hertl is due a contract. One they can't afford.

Other than 1 season, it's a lateral move at best. It's a bad move if you factor in the picks/prospects to acquire.

• Like 1

SJ is garbage. They'll demand too much for him.

Chytil is cheaper and on a similar projection

Hertl is due a contract. One they can't afford.

Other than 1 season, it's a lateral move at best. It's a bad move if you factor in the picks/prospects to acquire.

You think Chytil would match up against Colorado as well a Hertl has? I'm a Chytil guy, but I think this is a totally different kind of player.

I could see the cost being Barron and a pick. Are we that high on the kid? They really just blocked him for 6 years with the Goodrow contract. Or am I missing his potential projection? Thought he topped out as a 3rd line center? Maybe they have interest in Jones.

In the article I posted he talks about taking less money on his next contract to go to a team that will compete... So, maybe they can afford him.

We all want an all around guy with face off ability. I think he's a step back in the skill department, but you gain in the areas the team is or was looking to add.

I don’t think Barron + pick gets us anywhere near enough for Hertl. I’m not even sure they care about Barron. He’s a throw in, not an enticement. I’d absolutely be on board with bringing him in if he agreed to a reasonable extension, but I think they would be asking for more like two top prospects (lundkvist/Kravtsov) and a 2nd rounder. At that point, I’d say hard pass.
  • Like 1

I don’t think Barron + pick gets us anywhere near enough for Hertl. I’m not even sure they care about Barron. He’s a throw in, not an enticement. I’d absolutely be on board with bringing him in if he agreed to a reasonable extension, but I think they would be asking for more like two top prospects (lundkvist/Kravtsov) and a 2nd rounder. At that point, I’d say hard pass.

Oh dang. OK then I'm way off. I was thinking Barron a pick or maybe Jones. What you're talking is Eichel level package. I consider Hertl a very decent 2nd liner.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, The Dude said:

Oh dang. OK then I'm way off. I was thinking Barron a pick or maybe Jones. What you're talking is Eichel level package. I consider Hertl a very decent 2nd liner.

Well it’s just my opinion but he isn’t that far removed from a high 70s point season and he also has very good playoff stats too, good faceoffs, etc. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Well it’s just my opinion but he isn’t that far removed from a high 70s point season and he also has very good playoff stats too, good faceoffs, etc. 

That's probably right. Hertl's really underappreciated - he is very, very good. Josh's point on Chytil having a similar development arc is well taken though, and the cost would be at least prohibitive without an extension lined up prior. 

I'll give Chytil another year and circle back on Hertl in the UFA market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly

As said, I like Hertl. A lot. And he would fill a need at 2C as the two-way 200-foot center they need.

But with one year left on his deal, a hefty acquisition price, and a big money long-term extension required to keep him, I’ll pass given his health issues.

Cant endorse them doing all of that for a guy with health issues 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Exactly

As said, I like Hertl. A lot. And he would fill a need at 2C as the two-way 200-foot center they need.

But with one year left on his deal, a hefty acquisition price, and a big money long-term extension required to keep him, I’ll pass given his health issues.

Cant endorse them doing all of that for a guy with health issues 

I don't see the appeal. This feels like one of those grass is always greener type deals. We want them to trade Strome, only to acquire Hertl, and give Hertl, who is only eight months younger than Strome, the same extension Strome would likely sign for? Why? I'd rather keep Strome, who hasn't had ACL and MCL surgery on his knees before his 27th birthday.

• Like 1

Hertl would be great if Zibanejad left* and he signed for 5.35m per every off season

*left for money and sucked leaving his team with a cap hit of 9.75m for 5 more seasons while the Rangers replaced Zibanejad with a better, more cost effective C based on his new contract. 

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't see the appeal. This feels like one of those grass is always greener type deals. We want them to trade Strome, only to acquire Hertl, and give Hertl, who is only eight months younger than Strome, the same extension Strome would likely sign for? Why? I'd rather keep Strome, who hasn't had ACL and MCL surgery on his knees before his 27th birthday.

Yea, it's almost like he campaign against Strome wasn't based on much and should be put to bed.