• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Sign Joe Thornton to 1-Year Deal

Phil

For some reason, I have never liked him. At all. Maybe it’s because I feel like he robbed Jagr of the MVP in 2006. I mean he had a great year, but Jagr took a team that was predicted to finish dead last in all of hockey and had them competing for a division title while breaking Original Six franchise records. Or maybe it could be that he laughed off a loss to us in 2011-2012 and said “we should have beaten these guys, we haven’t played a team that soft all year.” Yeah, means a lot coming from a fucking loser like you, Jumbo.

Just not a fan. Never have been, never will. But cool, I guess?

I've just never paid attention to him. West Coast sports teams may as well play on the moon. They're just a boxscore in my world. Particularly in hockey, they all just exist as marketing entities in my mind. Like place hders, for actual teams. Never could get interested.

Love Jumbo Joe. He definitely deserves better than what the NHL has dealt him. The Panthers have a chance to be really good. Good luck Joe.

PS the Rangers were soft and he was right. Still was up until this next season.

I believe the Rangers over reacted that off season as well.

The 2011-12 Rangers were soft? What? The team that was at the very top or close to hit in fighting majors and hitting? What was soft about them? The fact they almost won the Presidents Trophy?

I don’t think they necessarily needed Nash, but for what they got him for, you couldn’t say no. I still say if that deal gets done at the deadline, we win the Cup.

The 2011-12 Rangers were soft? What? The team that was at the very top or close to hit in fighting majors and hitting? What was soft about them? The fact they almost won the Presidents Trophy?

I don’t think they necessarily needed Nash, but for what they got him for, you couldn’t say no. I still say if that deal gets done at the deadline, we win the Cup.

He "apologized" for that remark shortly after. I loved what Torts said about him though:

“Joe’s a heck of a player, but here’s a player popping off about our team, and Joe hasn’t won a god d– thing in this league.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/11/02/sharks-joe-thornton-apologizes-for-rangers-remark-sidney-crosby-unlikely-to-play-for-penguins-thursday/

Thornton can go fuck himself. Was never a fan even before he made that comment.

Yes. Soft. They had a decent 4th line, but the rest of the lineup played soft. Prust, Rupp and Bickell did all the hitting, while guys like Callahan and Dubinsky constantly picked themselves up off the ice. There was absolutely nobody to fear on the D except a prime year McDonagh. That might have been the year Sauers career ended too..

Avery wasnt really used by Torts.

I believe they picked up John Scott at that deadline . Likely due to the soft comment.

They had sandpaper players, but nobody that people were rattled by.

They rode Lundqvist and got a monster year from Gaborik and Richards.

I didn’t say they were heavyweights. But they were far from soft. No team that leads the league in hitting can be called soft. They banged. They grinded.

Meh. The Rangers were 15th in the league this year in hits per game.

Hits aren't that great barometer to use when judging how soft a team is.

Canadiens were 1st, Ottawa 2nd, Isles 3rd Arizona 4th, Oilers 5th...

Colorado was last...

"NHL Stats | NHL.com" http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=realtime&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20202021&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hits&page=0&pageSize=50

Correct. They are more of a barometer of how much time a team is spending in the defensive zone.

I'm tired of these cadavers limping along for another year. Thornton is 42 for crying out loud. I know, "veteran leadership" blah blah blah.