• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Igor Shesterkin to 4-Year/$22.666M Extension; $5.667M AAV

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why only 4 years? His next contract gonna be a mess now.

They didn't have much choice, I don't think. A two-year bridge would have taken him directly to UFA. A longer-term negotiation (say six-to-eight years) likely would have cost them $7.5 million per year.

Let's hope the money doesn't get to his head, like Trouba lol

Pretty sure Trouba is the same player he was with Winnipeg. And he's still fine...just gets paid about $2mil too much per season.

I'm ok with this deal for Shesty. Was hoping for 5 years but the AAV is manageable.

I thought somewhere between $5 and $6 million, so this is cool by me. 4 years? 5 Years??? eh, not gonna complain about that. Like 31 said, with his injury history, maybe it's better that it was 4 years.

I think this will work though! :thumbs:

Carter Hart just got 3yrs at 11.9M/3.96AAV. Has Shesterkin really proven that he's that much better? I can't say that the answer is yes.

Can't help but feel that we're overpaying a bit. Even in the best case scenario this is probably an overpayment. This puts him at top #11 paid goalie in the league: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/goaltender/

Is Shesterkin really a top 10 goalie? I think we're not even sure if he's a top 20 goalie at this point.

Anyway this is not going to kill us either way but it doesn't bode well for future contracts negotiated by the new brain trust

Carter Hart just got 3yrs at 11.9M/3.96AAV. Has Shesterkin really proven that he's that much better? I can't say that the answer is yes.

Can't help but feel that we're overpaying a bit. Even in the best case scenario this is probably an overpayment. This puts him at top #11 paid goalie in the league: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/goaltender/

Is Shesterkin really a top 10 goalie? I think we're not even sure if he's a top 20 goalie at this point.

Anyway this is not going to kill us either way but it doesn't bode well for future contracts negotiated by the new brain trust

Unequivocally, yes.

I mean, I'd rather go shorter than longer with goalies. Especially ones with injury history like Shesterkin. Goaltending is the position with the highest variance in the entire league. If this means they walk away in four years and sign a veteran, so be it.
  • Like 1

Did you watch Carter Hart play last year?

I think when healthy he's clearly at least a top 20 goalie. I'll be shocked if he's not top 10 next year.

But you know what? If he sucks, the deal doesn't kill you.

Carter Hart is 22. Shesterkin is 25. Carter's three-year deal leaves him an RFA again at 25. A two- or even three-year deal for Shesterkin would have taken him directly to UFA.

Carter Hart is an absolutely dogshit goaltender, so yes.

I'm just saying that we haven't even seen Shesterkin play enough to know if he's actually that much better. Use a different example then - Jordan Binnington won a stanley cup in his rookie season and makes 6M. We're paying this guy almost the same who has barely won 25 games in the nhl.

Anyway doesn't matter bc like we all agree this is not going to kill anyone if it goes bad.

I mean, I'd rather go shorter than longer with goalies. Especially ones with injury history like Shesterkin. Goaltending is the position with the highest variance in the entire league. If this means they walk away in four years and sign a veteran, so be it.

If Shesterkin proves to be worth his contract here, the next one is going to be big $ with longer term. I doubt they'd get him to sign anything less than 7 years. But given his age when it expires, it'd probably be worth it.