• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Suter

Phil

Lol yup. A 2m deal with no income tax…….that’s very tempting.

In all seriousness, though, I doubt this is much of a factor. He's got $100 million in the bank. I think he's going where he can win, not where he can save an extra million or so.

In all seriousness, though, I doubt this is much of a factor. He's got $100 million in the bank. I think he's going where he can win, not where he can save an extra million or so.

I don’t know. I think there is something to it. Money talks and if you are going to sign cheap, you’d still prefer it to go a longer way.

I don’t know. I think there is something to it. Money talks and if you are going to sign cheap, you’d still prefer it to go a longer way.

Not when you have $100 million in the bank. I really don't think this is a major factor at all. I think he's 100% going to a contender who he thinks is closest to winning. To me, that's Colorado (especially if they lose Graves to expansion), Vegas (especially if Martinez walks), and Tampa (no immediate fit, but fuck it, Trip Cups, amirite?).

Not when you have $100 million in the bank. I really don't think this is a major factor at all. I think he's 100% going to a contender who he thinks is closest to winning. To me, that's Colorado (especially if they lose Graves to expansion), Vegas (especially if Martinez walks), and Tampa (no immediate fit, but fuck it, Trip Cups, amirite?).

If that team wins a third in a row, I'm going to fish in Tampa Bay the night of the parade because those fish are gonna be fucking wasted.

I would think winning would be paramount. Second for a guy who wanted to go to Minn to return home for the lifestyle I would think Tampa and Colorado would be good bets. I don't see how the Rangers would appeal to him but who knows.

He'd have a pick of any team to go to and play for a contender. Why would he come here?

He's spent his career close to where he's from. Does he go to St Louis to stay close? Toronto? Winnipeg?

I think he's Bourques it and goes to Colorado.

Maybe, but look at both Tampa and Florida payrolls. There are guys making money, but outside of Bob there isn’t someone at the top of their position really. Tax free income is a thing. It’s a reason why so few sign in Canada I believe. I get what you mean by guys making their money but all things equal……..why wouldn’t you take less in an income tax free place compared to a high tax place?

He'd have a pick of any team to go to and play for a contender. Why would he come here?

He's spent his career close to where he's from. Does he go to St Louis to stay close? Toronto? Winnipeg?

I think he's Bourques it and goes to Colorado.

That would give the Aves 1 RD in Makar and 5 LD. (E.Johnson waived NMC)

Didn’t the Islanders come dangerously close to getting Parise at the deadline in 2020 after their trade for Pageau? It wouldn’t shock me to see him end up there, finishing his career out in a jersey his dad wore. And if he does, and if the Islanders find a taker for Leddys salary, I wouldn’t be surprised if Parise maybe tried to drag Suter with him there to help push them over the top. Wouldn’t be a shock at all.

I’d love Suter here. As others have said, he checks a ton of boxes for the Rangers in terms of leadership, ability, experience, positional need. I mean, the list goes on and on. He’s virtually what we’ve been waiting for to hit the open market. Literally almost right in our wheel house as far as a target goes. That being said, at his age, he probably is looking for more of a sure thing in the immediate future, as in this coming year. And not that I know Ryan Suter on a personal level, and obviously I’m not privy to his personal opinions of different cities, but he doesn’t seem like someone who is an NYC type of guy. I mean, hey, I hope I’m wrong. I hope he maybe sees himself being a help immediately and views the team and the city as a destination. But, with half the league going after him right now, I don’t see him picking us.

Hopefully Jack Johnson's parents aren't handling his affairs

Maybe, but look at both Tampa and Florida payrolls. There are guys making money, but outside of Bob there isn’t someone at the top of their position really. Tax free income is a thing. It’s a reason why so few sign in Canada I believe. I get what you mean by guys making their money but all things equal……..why wouldn’t you take less in an income tax free place compared to a high tax place?

Player Agent Alan Walsh was a guest on the Spittin Chiclets podcast and pretty much dispelled that whole thing. As agents/financial advisors they have ways to utilize the tax law to make it not a huge difference long term. If I understood exactly how I would explain it but im not a financial guy lol

I think Suter gets a lot of attention from multiple teams. Hard to see why, at his age, he's picking the Rangers over teams that are closer for a Cup run. I think, if the Isles unload Leddy, you can see Suter going there. Maybe Carolina too.

I think Suter gets a lot of attention from multiple teams. Hard to see why, at his age, he's picking the Rangers over teams that are closer for a Cup run. I think, if the Isles unload Leddy, you can see Suter going there. Maybe Carolina too.

Agreed. I could see the Isles picking up he and Parise, in fact.

Suter played a huge chunk of his career for Trotz.