• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant Interview on Sirious NHL Network at 4:30pm Today

As a #2 OA, I think everyone is disappointed with what he has produced at this point. Minus a break out third season, idk how long you wait for this guy to take his NHL ready skills to the actual NHL.

At least 3 seasons. Last season excluded because of the covid clusterfuck of a season

Yea, im certainly guilty of lacking patience in most aspects of my life so I guess it is just a matter of waiting this out and hoping for the best. Maybe some experience behind the bench will do wonders for him. This next season has HUGE potential if the FO is able to upgrade our grit and most of the young guys take a step forward. Here is to hoping!

Yes, his production has sucked. But it's not about production, it's about progress, which Kakko has show by the eyeball test and stat sheet...Undoubtedly better in year 2 than year 1. He was about as statistically unlucky as anyone in the league last year.

Juxtaposed with #4OA and board darling Brady Tkachuk...Who has stagnated boxcar stats and advanced stats-wise has flat lined or gotten worse year over year despite getting more and more ice time ...Yet everyone wants him and no one wants Kakko.

Games-wise Kakko has played just about 1.5 full seasons and probably should have been in the AHL for a good amount of that (I'll take this opportunity to do what everyone else here does and say "And that's why old management got fired! For not doing what I wanted them to do!").

This kid just needs patience and opportunity. No missing weeks at a time with COVID protocols, no line juggling, clear role.

I'm going with Pete's opinion here. I think this whole post is 100% right on the money. ....what's best about it this is that Kakko's bridge deal should be very team friendly, and when he spikes, we may just be contending for the Stanley Cup. The timing on his maturing into a solid NHL player seems to be falling into place at just the right time.

Yes, his production has sucked. But it's not about production, it's about progress, which Kakko has show by the eyeball test and stat sheet...Undoubtedly better in year 2 than year 1. He was about as statistically unlucky as anyone in the league last year.

Juxtaposed with #4OA and board darling Brady Tkachuk...Who has stagnated boxcar stats and advanced stats-wise has flat lined or gotten worse year over year despite getting more and more ice time ...Yet everyone wants him and no one wants Kakko.

Games-wise Kakko has played just about 1.5 full seasons and probably should have been in the AHL for a good amount of that (I'll take this opportunity to do what everyone else here does and say "And that's why old management got fired! For not doing what I wanted them to do!").

This kid just needs patience and opportunity. No missing weeks at a time with COVID protocols, no line juggling, clear role.

I'm going with Pete's opinion here. I think this whole post is 100% right on the money. ....what's best about it this is that Kakko's bridge deal should be very team friendly, and when he spikes, we may just be contending for the Stanley Cup. The timing on his maturing into a solid NHL player seems to be falling into place at just the right time.

We've been talking all off-season about being tougher to play against - you know what kind of players are tough to play against? Guys who don't get knocked off the puck. Guys who drive possession. Guys who can do what Kakko did well, especially toward the end of last season.

He's the guy we need to have the most patience with right now. He's got the tools to be part of the answer - he's never going to chuck fists, but he can be a fucking pain in the ass to play against. When he clicks, it's going to be amazing.

• Like 1

We've been talking all off-season about being tougher to play against - you know what kind of players are tough to play against? Guys who don't get knocked off the puck. Guys who drive possession. Guys who can do what Kakko did well, especially toward the end of last season.

He's the guy we need to have the most patience with right now. He's got the tools to be part of the answer - he's never going to chuck fists, but he can be a fucking pain in the ass to play against. When he clicks, it's going to be amazing.

Yup, I agree. Kakko may never light up the scoresheet. He might top out as a 50-60 point player, and that's OK if he's tough to play against while challenging for the Selke yearly.

Fucking aye, G!

Exactly...and I'm telling you now, my "Ballsy prediction of the season" is gonna be this kid in the finalists for the Selke next season. He's got all the tools, and now he has a coach that can help take him to the next level. I really think Gallant will help Kakko more than anyone. Gallant used to play a similar type of game with Stevie Y back in the day. :thumbs:

Yeah, his strength on the puck this past season compared to his rookie year was like night and day. He was able to use that and be creative on the offensive end. Considering how young he is, I thought it was an immense improvement in a short period of time. Plus, it will be nice to finally have a normal season again which a regular training camp, etc. Everything has been out of whack for almost two years now which hasn't helped.

Yup, I agree. Kakko may never light up the scoresheet. He might top out as a 50-60 point player, and that's OK if he's tough to play against while challenging for the Selke yearly.

I think peak Kakko is still Mark Stone - and I have a hard time giving up or being upset with that sort of player taking a few beats to develop.

I'd like to see him hit the Eriksson Ek level next season - productive, but not explosive, low-key analytics darling, in the voting for the Selke.

Fucking aye, G!

Exactly...and I'm telling you now, my "Ballsy prediction of the season" is gonna be this kid in the finalists for the Selke next season. He's got all the tools, and now he has a coach that can help take him to the next level. I really think Gallant will help Kakko more than anyone. Gallant used to play a similar type of game with Stevie Y back in the day. :thumbs:

yes...and Rockey Richard, and Vezina, and Norris too. Gzs! let the kid get rid of pimples first

Prior to Gallant interview they brought up DeAngelo situation in their spin the wheel segment, trade value, salary, buyout details.

M.Biron brings up D.Hamilton to the NYRangers in the spin the wheel segment prior to Gallant interview, he said he likes Hamilton to NYR...Does Biron know we have Fox?

Gallant summary;

-Says he hasn't talked to many players yet, texted Fox congrats on award. -- watching a lot of film.

-Coaching staff in place in the next week or so.

-References need for players like Goodrow & Coleman, scoring big goals come playoff time and the way TB plays.

-Offense is great but need to play 200feet game.

-Don't mind playing top players together, hopes kids take a big step(Kakko/LAF mentioned).

-Hopes team steps up so Fox doesn't have to play 28-30minutes a night.

-Not a big city guy, mentions hasn't moved yet, prefers living in "white plains" than the city.

-Talk to LAF to see where he feels most comfortable playing.

-Want to keep Goalies fresh, got 2 good goalies, wont say ratio of games played for goalies he prefers. Will lean on Goalie coaches.

-Talks playoffs/game 5 of cup.

-Talks coaching Owen Power.

well that escalated quickly