• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

EA NHL

Drew a Penalty

On 10/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, Drew a Penalty said:

It's so stupid that it's not cross platform. It's not even cross gen.

Roster sharing is apparently in this year at some point so that will be nice trying to find some historic rosters on the inter webs 

Tried the early access a bit last night. The graphical improvement isn’t noticeable at all. The ice looks worse, honestly, but I don’t play for the looks so I ultimately don’t care too much.

Gameplay feels better and a little tougher. Stick collision physics mean you have to be more conscious of stick work than previous iterations. There’s a greater difference in how skill ratings seem to influence how effectively an action happens. There’s a greater disparity in strength, speed, edges. You have to play smarter which I prefer. Defending is tougher because the range you intercept from seems to have been reduced. Poke checking is also more difficult but doesn’t lead to penalties as frequently. You’ll just straight up miss. 

There are some bugs that carried over from NHL 21 and some new ones which are pretty bad. AI seems to have taken a slight step back.

There’s a pretty solid game to be had here, though. I’m hoping it improves as they fine tune little things. I do like the changes to gameplay. For once it feels a little different. Closer to actual hockey. 

2 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

He’s been moved to center. We’ll see how he does there. Gonna have to change his build 

Yeah, make him 6' 2", ...165 lbs.....change his number to #72, and make him shy away from any and all contact!   Wait, where am I going here?  Sorry wrong thread!  LOL

• LOL 1

Gameplay wise the new one might be the closest thing to a real hockey game. The new physics make contact and puck play so much more dynamic and realistic. Goals seem to occur far more off of scrums and deflections as opposed to the same snap shots. Shooting and poke checking have been nerfed to the point that skill ratings play big factors. Goalies are much sharper now but give up five hole goals they wouldn't before and live pucks in the crease tend to trickle through more. The only real downside right now is that the AI's positioning is pretty garbage. There are also a few annoying bugs that need to get sorted out. Overall, though, this game is a positive step for EA NHL. Hopefully they don't fuck up. Now they need to show the offline game modes some attention.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Gameplay wise the new one might be the closest thing to a real hockey game. The new physics make contact and puck play so much more dynamic and realistic. Goals seem to occur far more off of scrums and deflections as opposed to the same snap shots. Shooting and poke checking have been nerfed to the point that skill ratings play big factors. Goalies are much sharper now but give up five hole goals they wouldn't before and live pucks in the crease tend to trickle through more. The only real downside right now is that the AI's positioning is pretty garbage. There are also a few annoying bugs that need to get sorted out. Overall, though, this game is a positive step for EA NHL. Hopefully they don't fuck up. Now they need to show the offline game modes some attention.

Give it a few months. After everyone complains about the changes ea will patch everything you love about the new game ?

haven’t gotten it yet but the general consensus from people is that it’s better. 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Give it a few months. After everyone complains about the changes ea will patch everything you love about the new game ?

haven’t gotten it yet but the general consensus from people is that it’s better. 

I'm expecting that people will complain that keepingpossession is too difficult. 

16 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

AII positioning is garbage and on all star with no tweaking the cpu has speed boosts that just make them a step faster than you at all times. It’s annoying. 
  Also, so,ething I’ve hated about this franchise forever is how computer like they cpu is. Their reaction time to passes, deflections, rebounds, etc is just a good 2 seconds before humanly possible. It’s infuriating. Case and point, you get the puck in your zone along the wall. Opposition d starts to retreat back, forward a good 3 strides into his own retreat facing away from the puck. You then attempt to pass it along the boards. Fwd apparently has eye in the back of his head and cpu D all exactly at once transition back to loose puck frenzy mode within a millisecond of the puck leaving your tape. I don’t know why they don’t just lower the cpu reaction time to make it more realistic. 

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

AII positioning is garbage and on all star with no tweaking the cpu has speed boosts that just make them a step faster than you at all times. It’s annoying. 
  Also, so,ething I’ve hated about this franchise forever is how computer like they cpu is. Their reaction time to passes, deflections, rebounds, etc is just a good 2 seconds before humanly possible. It’s infuriating. Case and point, you get the puck in your zone along the wall. Opposition d starts to retreat back, forward a good 3 strides into his own retreat facing away from the puck. You then attempt to pass it along the boards. Fwd apparently has eye in the back of his head and cpu D all exactly at once transition back to loose puck frenzy mode within a millisecond of the puck leaving your tape. I don’t know why they don’t just lower the cpu reaction time to make it more realistic. 

Yeah it’s always frustrating that higher difficulties just mean the AI becomes superhuman instead of just playing tighter systems. That’s why I’ve come to prefer online where I’m playing mostly users.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Not EA NHL related per se, but hopefully this happens across all the sports. Would love it if someone came in with a better game instead of all these sports games just getting recycled year after year 

This is only happening because FIFA is asking for a billion dollars for naming rights. 

On 10/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Not EA NHL related per se, but hopefully this happens across all the sports. Would love it if someone came in with a better game instead of all these sports games just getting recycled year after year 

I would kill to have another hockey game beside chel

• 2 months later...