• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Will the Rangers Protect from Seattle?

Phil

Reminder of the rules:

The 2021 NHL Expansion Draft, which is scheduled for July 21, will be under the same rules for the Kraken as the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017. The Kraken will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies) not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules.

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

--

CapFriendly has a Seattle Expansion Draft Tool that you can use here: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capfriendly's tool for this is really helpful

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

I think it's pretty obvious. 7F, 3D, 1G

Forwards

Panarin (NMC)

Kreider (NMC)

Zibanejad (NMC)

Strome

Buchnevich

Chytil

Gauthier

Defense

Trouba (NMC)

Lindgren

Hajek, or really whoever. Maybe Crawley?

Goalie

Georgiev, or Kinkaid if we want a chance of Georgiev's contract off the books

That would expose Howden, Ronning, Rooney, Greco, Gettinger, Blackwell, Fontaine, Brodzinski, and PDG for forwards. ADA, Brendan Smith, J. Johnson, Bitetto, Geertson, Crawley, and Raddysh for defense. Kinkaid for goalie. Everyone else is exempt.

You protect Chytil and Gauthier because of asset management. Both hold higher trade value than anyone else exposed.

• Like 1

I hope they protect the correct set of players to induce Seattle to select Howden. Or now that Gorton and JD are gone Howden is demoted to the ECHL Either way.. Howden never pulling th esweater on is my goal from this exercise.

Forwards

Panarin (NMC)

Kreider (NMC)

Zibanejad (NMC)

Strome

Buchnevich

Chytil

Gauthier

Defense

Trouba (NMC)

Lindgren

Goalie

That would expose Howden, Ronning, Rooney, Greco, Gettinger, Blackwell, Fontaine, Brodzinski, and PDG for forwards. ADA, Brendan Smith, J. Johnson, Bitetto, Geertson, Crawley, and Raddysh for defense. Kinkaid for goalie. Everyone else is exempt.

You protect Chytil and Gauthier because of asset management. Both hold higher trade value than anyone else exposed.

Yes, except protect Blackwell, not Gauthier.

Forwards

Panarin (NMC)

Kreider (NMC)

Zibanejad (NMC)

Strome

Buchnevich

Chytil

Gauthier

Defense

Trouba (NMC)

Lindgren

Goalie

I agree with all these except smith. I swap Hajek's spot for smith, who has proven to be one of the few big game players we have on this team, and has proven more than versatile enough to stay. His contract will expire before it becomes a problem, but I don't want to send this guy packing. It sends the wrong message imo.

We're not losing anything in Hajek.

I agree with all these except smith. I swap Hajek's spot for smith, who has proven to be one of the few big game players we have on this team, and has proven more than versatile enough to stay. His contract will expire before it becomes a problem, but I don't want to send this guy packing. It sends the wrong message imo.

Smith is a UFA

Yes, except protect Blackwell, not Gauthier.

As of right now, they can't.

Both Blackwell and Rooney must be exposed to meet the "under contract" requirements. Capfriendly's tool notes this with green checkmarks.

The only way to protect even just one of Blackwell and Rooney is to extend one of Howden, PDG, or Gauthier prior to the draft. Protecting both would require us to have traded one of our already protected forwards (which is a completely agreed upon group of Bread, CK20, Zib, Strome, Buch, Chytil)

Protecting Smith doesn't really make sense - he's a UFA. He can literally say no to Seattle, and Seattle won't take him since he can just walk in 10 days.

Hajek's an RFA - if they want Hajek instead of Rooney or Howden or whomever, they can come get him in a trade.

So, extend one of Howden, PDG, or Gauthier prior to the draft. They're all cannon fodder anyway.

If you're them - why do you sign? You know the rules, and you know the predicament the Rangers are in. Why on earth do you lock in a contract with a team that simply intends to expose you to an expansion team?

All of them stand to gain from ignoring the Rangers request for a re-sign. I reckon the Rangers will look to make a deal with a team that has to make a tough protection decision.

If you're them - why do you sign? You know the rules, and you know the predicament the Rangers are in. Why on earth do you lock in a contract with a team that simply intends to expose you to an expansion team?

All of them stand to gain from ignoring the Rangers request for a re-sign. I reckon the Rangers will look to make a deal with a team that has to make a tough protection decision.

Fair enough.

Here's a potentially interesting idea I haven't seen anywhere yet. Get creative and make a a three-way trade with Seattle for a player we'd otherwise protect. If I'm not mistaken, the Kraken will have at worst a top 6 pick in this year's draft. If they win the lottery, the pick is off the table. If they don't, I wonder if the #4-#6 would be available if they could land a higher end player who can help kick the franchise off on the right foot.

A couple of fun examples:

To Seattle: Pavel Buchnevich or Ryan Strome, NYR 1st

To NY: Dylan Larkin, NYR 2nd (from Det)

To Det: Sea 1st, Filip Chytil, B prospect (from NYR)

To Seattle: Mika Zibanejad

To NY: Jack Eichel

To Buffalo: Sea 1st, Filip Chytil, 1 of Miller/Jones/Lundkvist

Here's a potentially interesting idea I haven't seen anywhere yet. Get creative and make a a three-way trade with Seattle for a player we'd otherwise protect. If I'm not mistaken, the Kraken will have at worst a top 6 pick in this year's draft. If they win the lottery, the pick is off the table. If they don't, I wonder if the #4-#6 would be available if they could land a higher end player who can help kick the franchise off on the right foot.

Eklund read that and had to call his Dr as his boner could only handle so much tension.

I think while Gauthier has minimal value to the NY Rangers, he still has value elsewhere. He's only 23, and got 4th line minutes at most. Watching him, the skill is there. The speed is there. The offensive instincts are there. In my mind, he's actually a great option for Seattle because he could slot up and be a 2nd/3rd liner with offensive potential. And that, to me, means trade value if we protect him as an asset for trade instead of an asset for the roster.

Fair enough.

Well, if you're Howden, you sign a one-way deal to protect your NHL salary, because if he doesn't re-sign he's likely not in the NHL next year.

So in the first scenario we lose Buch/Strome, a 1st, Chytil, and a prospect...For Larkin and our own 2nd? That seems like...a lot for Larkin and a flyer.

That’s a lot for Larkin, no? If that happened I’d be starting a new “fire Drury” thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk