• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jake Virtanen on Leave After Sexual Misconduct Allegation; Found Not Guilty

Phil

51 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not really. He's basically just Tyler Motte.

I dunno man. His track record to me is way more impressive than Motte. He’s bigger, stronger, and a better contributor scoring goals than Tyler Motte. Speed is even comparable. He can score 15-20 goals on bottom 6 minutes. Former 6th overall.

He would fit on the 4th line like a glove with possibly some hidden potential to slot up.

Even if he was just Tyler Motte, why say no to another Tyler Motte for about a million bucks?

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I dunno man. His track record to me is way more impressive than Motte. He’s bigger, stronger, and a better contributor scoring goals than Tyler Motte. Speed is even comparable. He can score 15-20 goals on bottom 6 minutes. Former 6th overall.

He would fit on the 4th line like a glove with possibly some hidden potential to slot up.

Even if he was just Tyler Motte, why say no to another Tyler Motte for about a million bucks?

He had five goals in like 40 games in his last year with the Canucks and nine in about the same in the KHL. I'm not sure there's much of a goal-scorer left there. But on a PTO/near league-min contract, I guess it can't hurt to try a reclamation project.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

He had five goals in like 40 games in his last year with the Canucks and nine in about the same in the KHL. I'm not sure there's much of a goal-scorer left there. But on a PTO/near league-min contract, I guess it can't hurt to try a reclamation project.

That last NHL season is such a small sample size. He probably was dealing with the accusation shit before it went public too. Between that and a weird late start because of covid, it almost carries no weight to me. He had 33 goals in 139 games the 2 seasons prior. That’s a 19 goal per 82 game rate. The KHL season last year was 9 goals in 36 games, a 20 goal per 82 game rate.

This is the kind of guy who can be a steal of a bottom 6 signing IMO.

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

That last NHL season is such a small sample size. He probably was dealing with the accusation shit before it went public too. Between that and a weird late start because of covid, it almost carries no weight to me. He had 33 goals in 139 games the 2 seasons prior. That’s a 19 goal per 82 game rate. The KHL season last year was 9 goals in 36 games, a 20 goal per 82 game rate.

This is the kind of guy who can be a steal of a bottom 6 signing IMO.

The context of this verdict coming this week amid the wave of allegations against Hockey Canada can't be ignored. I'd argue it's brand-toxic and bordering on completely tone-deaf for any NHL team to give him a contract right now. Time - and bluntly some cultural accountability - may change that.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The context of this verdict coming this week amid the wave of allegations against Hockey Canada can't be ignored. I'd argue it's brand-toxic and bordering on completely tone-deaf for any NHL team to give him a contract right now. Time - and bluntly some cultural accountability - may change that.

He was tried in a court of law and found not guilty. He's like the Aziz of the NHL.

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Sorry, no. This is exactly the problem with this pernicious thinking. It effectively brands anyone accused of bad behavior for life, even when they're tried and found not guilty in a court of law. A lifetime of punishment, even when you're not guilty or innocent? This is horrific.

I don't think it would be tone-deaf at all. It's actually quite easy to justify. "We think Jake has value as a hockey player and wanted to wait until all the off-ice issues were legally settled. He was found not guilty in a court of law. That's good enough for us."

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

He was tried in a court of law and found not guilty. He's like the Aziz of the NHL.

This. I'd have no issue with a team signing him. I just don't know that the Rangers really need him, even though I agree there's probably still some upside.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sorry, no. This is exactly the problem with this pernicious thinking. It effectively brands anyone accused of bad behavior for life, even when they're tried and found not guilty in a court of law. A lifetime of punishment, even when you're not guilty or innocent? This is horrific.

I don't think it would be tone-deaf at all. It's actually quite easy to justify. "We think Jake has value as a hockey player and wanted to wait until all the off-ice issues were legally settled. He was found not guilty in a court of law. That's good enough for us."

This. I'd have no issue with a team signing him. I just don't know that the Rangers really need him, even though I agree there's probably still some upside.

You really don't think that a team choosing to sign him right this moment wouldn't face an absolute deluge of questions and probably some level of outcry about it? 

It's perfectly fair to acknowledge that this case - fair or unfair to Virtanen and regardless of the truth of it - exists within an open wound in hockey culture right now. Doubly so with Hockey Canada apparently having a taxpayer fund of hush money for junior players representing Canada for the exact thing Virtanen was accused of. 

I never said it was fair to him, and I never said it should be a lifetime punishment. I'm saying that there's no team that wouldn't be put through a meatgrinder for signing him at this moment.

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

You really don't think that a team choosing to sign him right this moment wouldn't face an absolute deluge of questions and probably some level of outcry about it? 

It's perfectly fair to acknowledge that this case - fair or unfair to Virtanen and regardless of the truth of it - exists within an open wound in hockey culture right now. Doubly so with Hockey Canada apparently having a taxpayer fund of hush money for junior players representing Canada for the exact thing Virtanen was accused of. 

I never said it was fair to him, and I never said it should be a lifetime punishment. I'm saying that there's no team that wouldn't be put through a meatgrinder for signing him at this moment.

Yes, I do. And I wouldn't care. He was tried in a court of law and found not guilty. I don't much care about the court of public opinion or the Twitter jury.

Unless there's reason to doubt the outcome here, or he's linked to another active case, his slate should be wiped clean.

This isn't DeShaun Watson we're talking about here. Virtanen went through a trial. To be found guilty, it's needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty. It is up to Crown counsel to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused committed the offence or offences. Crown counsel must present all relevant evidence to the judge not just the evidence the points to the accused's guilt.

Any team signing him can literally say that the criminal justice system didn't find enough evidence that the accusations were true. This is not a star player here. Doubt anyone in BC would shy away from convicting because he's a fringe KHLer.

He didn't break the law as far as the jury of his peers is concerned.

Edited by Pete

14 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

Seems there is a civil suit coming, so I wouldn't be too sure about no baggage there.

If that's the case, teams are likely to still stay away. That would fall under his legal issues not being settled just yet.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

If that's the case, teams are likely to still stay away. That would fall under his legal issues not being settled just yet.

Just one sentence in this article, according to that there has been a civil case even before the criminal one. Don't know how reliable the source is, just something In stumbled upon when I wanted more details about the case.

The woman filed a civil lawsuit against Virtanen before the criminal charge was laid in May 2021. A trial has yet to be held in the civil case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9017553/jake-virtanen-verdict-reaction-sex-assault/

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, Cash or Czech said:

Surprised Carolina and Montreal aren't going after him hard. Or Philly, so Torts can turn around the locker room /s

Yet you miss Chicago with their rapist supporting cast and notorious assaulter Patrick Kane. 

15 minutes ago, Nashley Tisdale said:

All of the off-ice shit aside, Virtanen sucks. 5 points in 38 games two seasons ago. No idea why the Oilers would stick their necks out like this for a guy who just really isn't that good at hockey. 

Probably because a PTO isn't sticking your neck out.

• 3 weeks later...