• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NBC Pulls Out on NHL's Second TV Package; TNT Signs 7-Year Deal

Phil

It's a financial windfall, but not sure it does tons to gain new fans.

Seems like the NHL is done with that, though.

I don't think it will bring in too many new fans, but it has the opportunity to bring in some.

Before this deal, your options to view NHL games were local team networks, NBCSN (for most national broadcasts), NBC (for 10-15 national broadcasts), NHLNet, NHL.tv, and ESPN+ (limited availability).

Now you have ESPN (and its variants), ABC (probably similar to NBC), TNT, TBS, ESPN+ (increased number of games and out-of-market plans), Hulu, NHLNet, and some type of content via HBOMax. There's a significantly higher chance you'll stumble across an NHL game than you would have before.

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNT puts on an amazing production for their NBA games and has a super entertaining/funny panel that doesn't take itself too seriously. Really hoping they do something similar with the NHL

I wouldn't really classify myself as an NBA fan but I find myself tuning into games on TNT because it's always a great game and there's a chance the panel will say or do something hilarious. The clips of Shaq and Barkeley always hit social media as well which grows it

TNT puts on an amazing production for their NBA games and has a super entertaining/funny panel that doesn't take itself too seriously. Really hoping they do something similar with the NHL

I wouldn't really classify myself as an NBA fan but I find myself tuning into games on TNT because it's always a great game and there's a chance the panel will say or do something hilarious. The clips of Shaq and Barkeley always hit social media as well which grows it

and since he's such a huge NHL fan maybe he'll just be on our broadcasts from now on

TNT needs to find the right talent to be on the panel. Chuck and Shaq are funny for sure, but I'm not sure who an analog would be for the NHL. I'm afraid hockey culture would be too strong of an influence to get something similar.

and since he's such a huge NHL fan maybe he'll just be on our broadcasts from now on

It’s one of those things that, depending on the context, could’ve been an easy joke or an actual suggestion: Get Charles Barkley involved. I’m in the latter camp. My threshold there is probably higher than most — if Chuck were willing to work an extra day a week, I’d say to just give him the gig full-time — but some sort of presence seems like a no-brainer, right? Maybe that’s one segment per pregame show. Maybe it’s once a month. Whatever he wants to do, let him.

It’d work for a few reasons. The man legitimately loves the sport, to the point of saying — multiple times over the years — that he’d rather watch whichever playoff game was on NBC Sports than the basketball stuff he was actually being paid to cover. It was free pub for, in theory, a competitor. Problem solved for TNT. I remember him crashing a Wayne Gretzky press conference during the 2017 Cup Final in Nashville — the point of which I’ve long forgotten — and immediately making himself the highlight of the whole deal. How much he enjoys NBA basketball in 2021 is a valid question; that’s not on the table for hockey. The dude loves it.

https://theathletic.com/2545365/2021/04/26/a-demand-for-charles-barkley-hockey-analyst-plus-more-thoughts-on-the-nhls-turner-sports-deal/

TNT needs to find the right talent to be on the panel. Chuck and Shaq are funny for sure, but I'm not sure who an analog would be for the NHL. I'm afraid hockey culture would be too strong of an influence to get something similar.

It would never happen but it would be great if they got the Chiclets guys involved

It’s too bad Luongo seems to be taking more of an NHL management role because I’d love to hear from him. I definitely think the personalities are there, it’s just a matter of getting them interested. There should be plenty of new faces split between ESPN and TNT.

• Like 1

It would never happen but it would be great if they got the Chiclets guys involved

It would take a genuine contract between Barstool and TNT, which I'm pretty sure won't happen. But yeah, that's the idea — that level of reach.

The no-brainer everyone has talked about: Charles Barkley getting involved in NHL coverage. With the NHL and NBA seasons overlapping, the chances of Barkley having a regular role are slim to none. But the chances of Barkley appearing in some form of coverage, especially during the playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals are close to 100%.

AEW-NHL crossovers. With TNT currently airing AEW Wrestling on Wednesday nights, you can be sure the network will use the startup wrestling company to help promote its NHL coverage. We’ve already seen Inside the NBA cohost Shaq mix it up in the ring for AEW. And one of AEW’s top stars, Chris Jericho, whose father played for the Rangers, is already throwing his hat into the ring to be a part of Turner’s NHL coverage. Turner would be wise to use Jericho in some way.

Get the Spittin’ Chiclets crew in the mix, especially Paul (BizNasty) Bissonette. If Turner wants an instant shot in the arm, it should team up with the most popular NHL podcast. Obviously, the Spittin' Chiclets content that airs on Barstool Sports would have to be toned down a little for Turner Sports, but that shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t want to say Bissonette would be the NHL’s version of Charles Barkley, because that wouldn’t be fair to Biz and nobody will ever be Charles Barkley. But I have no doubt BizNasty, who calls Coyotes games on the radio, would be a huge breakout star if Turner used him in the studio.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/04/27/nhl-turner-sports-agree-to-seven-year-tv-deal

Jericho would be great!

They're 100% going to do crossover work with AEW. Jericho and Christian Cage are both huge hockey fans. I'm sure there are others on the roster, too. Maybe Omega (he's from Winnipeg).

They're 100% going to do crossover work with AEW. Jericho and Christian Cage are both huge hockey fans. I'm sure there are others on the roster, too. Maybe Omega (he's from Winnipeg).

That would be so fantastic if that happened. It's almost a no-brainer to do a cross over with AEW. Advertising, man!

I'd love to see Jericho do this!!!

His dad was Teddy Irvine #27. I think I still have his autograph someplace....

Yeah, his Dad had a pretty long NHL career, and a solid one at that. I remember back in the early 2000's he held a hockey event at MSG with the players and other celebrities, including Christopher Reeve. I can't remember the name of the event now, but it was cool.

That would be so fantastic if that happened. It's almost a no-brainer to do a cross over with AEW. Advertising, man!

At the very least, as things get back to normal, once AEW are touring again, you know they'll do simple stuff relative to the playoffs, at least, like having heels come out wearing rival city jerseys.

At the very least, as things get back to normal, once AEW are touring again, you know they'll do simple stuff relative to the playoffs, at least, like having heels come out wearing rival city jerseys.

Yes! Doing stuff that would be great. AEW always want to be trendy and trying to gain more fans, so it makes sense.

Yes! Doing stuff that would be great. AEW always want to be trendy and trying to gain more fans, so it makes sense.

why do you guys care so much about getting new fans? im not looking forward to have 40 or 50 team league and Rangers tix going even more in price. The tix prices as is are ridiculous.

why do you guys care so much about getting new fans? im not looking forward to have 40 or 50 team league and Rangers tix going even more in price. The tix prices as is are ridiculous.

I was referring to AEW wanting to get more fans. Rangers tickets are going to go up anyway, we know this. LOL

LOL, in what world is "new fans" synonymous, or even a logical precursor to having a "40 or 50 team league?"

The NLF has 160 million+ domestic fans and only has 32 teams.

NLF has it for different reasons. You know Bettman and Co would expand continuously if they could, cause it means more money for the owners. As NHL grows, more teams are added