• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Johnson on Waivers

Phil

Except for the fact the Johnson played pretty well in his limited role.

I think he was serviceable, but I wouldn't go as far to say he played well. He was a possession and turnover machine, and would constantly make poor decisions with the puck that led to additional zone time for our opponents. His worst Corsi% and Fenwick seasons of his career are this year with us, but they're still marginally better than Hajek's.

I think Hajek gets the opportunity over JJ because he's younger and has more "potential", but I don't see him (Hajek) as anything higher than a 5/6 D at this point.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like the signing at all, but yeah, he wasn't that bad and it was a really cheap deal anyway. So, I wound up being kind of 'meh' about it. I'm really glad someone like Hajek has come in and really done a steady job. Hopefully he can find a nice home as a bottom third defenseman.

We brought him in to be a #6/7 guy, and at that level, it's quite literally "be serviceable, don't cost us"

I think he meets that line pretty regularly. He's a poor possession player, which really hurts a team like ours that in theory thrives on actually having the puck.

Not my first choice, but he wasn't near as bad as we'd thought he would be.

But that's not a good measure of whether he was a good signing. He was still terrible by every metric. He was still terrible by the eye test.

He's not an NHL player and everyone knew it. They signed him anyway. He hurt the team most every time he stepped on the ice. Therefore, it was a bad signing.

Johnson was terrible. We've just been trained to accept terrible as acceptable. Traits of a losing franchise.

The majority of JJ's 5 on 5 minutes came with Hajek (74) and Smith (37). Each pair only allowed 1 even strength goal.

3rd most time was with ADA (33 minutes) and they allowed 3. 4th was Fox (26 minutes) they allowed 1 goal.

He played 195 even strength minutes, 137 of those with a regular D partner where they allowed a total of 3 even strength goals.

Johnson was fine once he settled in.

Fox stepped up his defensive game, Miller impressed, Lindgren stayed consistent, and Hajak was serviceable when Johnson was out. Numbers game. He'll go back and forth between the taxi squad and the NHL roster for the remainder of the season.

Johnson was fine once he settled in.

Fox stepped up his defensive game, Miller impressed, Lindgren stayed consistent, and Hajak was serviceable when Johnson was out. Numbers game. He'll go back and forth between the taxi squad and the NHL roster for the remainder of the season.

Bingo, again! :thumbs:

The majority of JJ's 5 on 5 minutes came with Hajek (74) and Smith (37). Each pair only allowed 1 even strength goal.

3rd most time was with ADA (33 minutes) and they allowed 3. 4th was Fox (26 minutes) they allowed 1 goal.

He played 195 even strength minutes, 137 of those with a regular D partner where they allowed a total of 3 even strength goals.

Add in he's 6th highest on the team in on-ice SV% meaning he wasn't giving up easy or glorious chances, and a PDO of 95 which suggests he was just extremely unlucky this year.

He quite literally does not "hurt the team every time he steps on the ice".

Among defensemen that played 10 or more games, JJ had the 6th worst corsi rating in the entire league I believe. Brendan Smith has the 2nd. Woo!

I’m not too big on those when it comes to the fact my eyes can tell me that he wasn’t anything better than a craptastic NHL defenseman.

Among defensemen that played 10 or more games, JJ had the 6th worst corsi rating in the entire league I believe. Brendan Smith has the 2nd. Woo!

I’m not too big on those when it comes to the fact my eyes can tell me that he wasn’t anything better than a craptastic NHL defenseman.

Yeah, as I said - he's a garbage possession player.

He was also, as Pete noted, rather strong on defense.

He played a "traditional" defensive game, which looks terrible today because it's been left behind. He's by no means the ideal defenseman for our team, but he did not hurt us. He probably didn't help either, but asking your 3LD to be a net neutral is probably about right.

Yeah, as I said - he's a garbage possession player.

He was also, as Pete noted, rather strong on defense.

He played a "traditional" defensive game, which looks terrible today because it's been left behind. He's by no means the ideal defenseman for our team, but he did not hurt us. He probably didn't help either, but asking your 3LD to be a net neutral is probably about right.

Fair. As I already said, my issue was he brings nothing , unless saying lack of a major negative being a positive which I guess is one way to look at it lol.

But for the most part under the cap your 6/7 Ds are going to be marginal players whom other teams will try to exploit matchup wise no matter how you structure things. Johnson and Bitetto were signed to fill those roles in the event of injury or Hajek sucking really bad. Again, Bitetto made Johnson redundant, but both have been servicable in that role and neither is breaking the bank.

Add in he's 6th highest on the team in on-ice SV% meaning he wasn't giving up easy or glorious chances, and a PDO of 95 which suggests he was just extremely unlucky this year.

He quite literally does not "hurt the team every time he steps on the ice".

I feel like he took some dumb/not quick enough to play D, penalties but otherwise, when you stopped watching him through the lens of 'I hate the Jack Johnson Signing' and watch him objectively, he was fine, advanced stats + eye test.

But for the most part under the cap your 6/7 Ds are going to be marginal players whom other teams will try to exploit matchup wise no matter how you structure things. Johnson and Bitetto were signed to fill those roles in the event of injury or Hajek sucking really bad. Again, Bitetto made Johnson redundant, but both have been servicable in that role and neither is breaking the bank.

sort of yes sort of no. They went into the season not giving Hajek the job but instead to JJ. Bitteto was the 7 guy and Hajek 8. Only after the ADA debacle and JJ injury did Hajek get moved up. Hajek didnt even crack the lineup until Feb. Same with Bitetto. He wasn't "really" in their plans until ADA left and JJ got hurt.

I understand it's semantics but JJ wasn't ever going to be anything more than just a roster move. For that, i just find it hard to believe we needed a guy no one in the league wanted in the first place and we had to sign right away. I would have been more understanding if he weren't in the lineup until Feb rather than the other way around.

It's not a huge deal. Just nitpicking.

sort of yes sort of no. They went into the season not giving Hajek the job but instead to JJ. Bitteto was the 7 guy and Hajek 8. Only after the ADA debacle and JJ injury did Hajek get moved up. Hajek didnt even crack the lineup until Feb. Same with Bitetto. He wasn't "really" in their plans until ADA left and JJ got hurt.

I understand it's semantics but JJ wasn't ever going to be anything more than just a roster move. For that, i just find it hard to believe we needed a guy no one in the league wanted in the first place and we had to sign right away. I would have been more understanding if he weren't in the lineup until Feb rather than the other way around.

It's not a huge deal. Just nitpicking.

Right. It's not a big deal, but all of the justifying of signing JJ as a good move is how bad teams operate. It's not like they even waited until he was the last resort to fill in depth either...that's the bad part.

Right. It's not a big deal, but all of the justifying of signing JJ as a good move is how bad teams operate. It's not like they even waited until he was the last resort to fill in depth either...that's the bad part.

Yeah thats my biggest problem.

There's just a disproportionate amount of complaining over a signing that didn't affect anything then, or now.

He didn't lose us any games, his contract didn't stop us from making any moves, it's literally a nothing burger that people can't stop talking about for no reason at all.

There's just a disproportionate amount of complaining over a signing that didn't affect anything then, or now.

He didn't lose us any games, his contract didn't stop us from making any moves, it's literally a nothing burger that people can't stop talking about for no reason at all.

So then don't join in on the conversation? I'm not sure what the problem is here.

• Like 1

You're right it's not a big deal. We're talking about a depth defenseman. All of the pointing to this as a bad move is the puzzling part.

He did exactly what they wanted him to, and moved on when Hajek stepped up.

From JD's mouth:

On signing Jack Johnson, “we signed him for one-year, it fit into the cap situation we are in. We had a terrible penalty killing team last year, Jack killed in Pittsburgh, where they were 10th in the league, and we also brought in a forward with the last name Rooney, with NJ, they were sixth last year. I know Jack, Jack is a good person, so that helps but the biggest plus was Jacques Martin is now part of our coaching staff, Lindy Ruff was coaching the D here and he’s now the head coach in NJ, so we had a hole to fill and Jacques Martin was part of two Cups there, he wanted to work for us, we hired him and then we called him on Jack and Jack was very good for him last year and he would endorse what we are trying to do with Jack, it was a fit for us. We have a lot of kids. There are some franchises in this league with a lot of depth with kids and I don’t know if anybody has more than what we have, especially after getting lucky with the #1 pick and Lafreniere, but we have a lot of defense coming down the road but we have to get there and we have to battle. Jack works hard in the weight room, so kids will see how that happens. We will get through it but we think he’s going to help us in a lot of different areas.”

https://nyrangersnews.com/2020/10/28/what-john-davidson-said-about-jack-johnson-kakko-development-and-more/

To summarize:

- Veteran guy

- Good PKer

- Good work ethic

- Experience with your new D coach

And we're mad they signed him on day 1 of free agency instead of waiting for Slater Koekkoek?

Interesting reading the signing thread. Gotta highlight this one...

There's no reason to think he will.

Staal didn't even play 18 a game last year.

But, I can't wait for all the whining about how Johnson is holding us back when he's even and playong 15 minutes a night..."Well if we had someone better, they could play more and suck less!"

This is the typical complaning before there's anything to complain about. It's not like they can't waive and demote.

All the worse fears in that thread didn't come true. He didn't cause us to lose games. He played 15 minutes a night, plus PK time. He lost his spot to a kid. They waived him.

Never thought i'd see Jack Johnson and the word 'good' in the same sentence. :clap:

it was perfect.

I didn't see anywhere in that JD presser that they mentioned they only signed him for half a year and planned to waive him eventually.