• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Johnson on Waivers

Phil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veteran guy who had experience playing for your new D coach, that filled a hole until they saw hiw good Mikler was and Hajek took the 6th d spot. Perfect signing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Umm no. That’s a massive stretch with the “perfect” stuff. Shitty inept defenseman that was brought in to take the 6-7 spot and ended up not being able to even keep a taxi spot. Team is super fortunate some others thankfully stepped up. They didn’t sign him to waive him 20 games into the year. No risk no reward signing and teams don’t exactly jump to sign guys that the entire league knows will give you nothing.

He was a safety net for younger players on a cheap deal, served his purpose and isn't as useful when everyone is healthy.

Teams sign players like this and waive them all the time. Toronto waived Spezza 5 minute into the season for chrissakes.

This is just preparing the roster spot for Krav. If he clears, the team gets 30 days to send him down.

I have Johnson more shit than anyone but he's been fine. This gives the team roster flexibility with the ability to place him on the taxi squad to acrue cap space heading into the trade deadline and allows them the ability to quickly create a roster spot if Shesty and Kravtsov are coming back/over soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He was a safety net for younger players on a cheap deal, served his purpose and isn't as useful when everyone is healthy.

Teams sign players like this and waive them all the time. Toronto waived Spezza 5 minute into the season for chrissakes.

This is just preparing the roster spot for Krav. If he clears, the team gets 30 days to send him down.

I have Johnson more shit than anyone but he's been fine. This gives the team roster flexibility with the ability to place him on the taxi squad to acrue cap space heading into the trade deadline and allows them the ability to quickly create a roster spot if Shesty and Kravtsov are coming back/over soon.

He definitely was a safety net but my problem is he was signed so early on as if he was going to be sought after. Perfect signing is a pretty giant stretch though. He was never going to work out here. It was a waste of a signing where a guy like Blackwell was an awesome signing. I’m Ll for gambling but not on the worst defenseman in the league at the end of his career. You aren’t catching lightning in a bottle with him. Let’s be honest, ADA and JJ were a nightmare together. Everyone knew if. I can’t help but wonder if a better signing to actually compliment ADA might have helped not expose our 50+ point d into his own meltdown which thus would have been better for our team.

Just my opinion

Bitetto and Johnson are both lefties, so doesn't appear there was much point to signing both. And until he got hurt, Bitetto was fine. Worry was Johnson was going to get a sweater every night, and that did not happen. While they have cap concerns, Johnson's salary is pretty negligible.

Bitetto and Johnson are both lefties, so doesn't appear there was much point to signing both. And until he got hurt, Bitetto was fine. Worry was Johnson was going to get a sweater every night, and that did not happen.

100% I think people were worried he'd be playing over guys he shouldn't... and he didn't... so, I actually think this was a good signing. Now he goes to taxi squad until they need him again. Fine by me.

They targeted him for specific reason. Veteran. Played for Martin. Good on the PK. When Hajek took his spot they waived him. Whats not to like? You're getting on me for saying "perfect" signing when he did exactly what they brought him here to do, and then you blame DeAngelo on Johnson?

8aa13adb0ffc52ac563ea4cec680e2d5.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They targeted him for specific reason. Veteran. Played for Martin. Good on the PK. When Hajek took his spot they waived him. Whats not to like? You're getting on me for saying "perfect" signing when he did exactly what they brought him here to do, and then you blame DeAngelo on Johnson?

8aa13adb0ffc52ac563ea4cec680e2d5.jpeg

Is that meant for me? And where did I blame ADA on Johnson? ADA is because of ADA. However, you can’t see how two god aweful defensive defensemen paired together is a disaster? And it was. That’s not even debatable. Dont make what I said to be anything more than I said. When you look to sign someone as a place holder for the 3rd pairing where you know ADA is going to be playing zero defense, don’t bring in the one guy in the league that might be even WORSE at that position. It was just a dumb signing especially considering how early on they did it into ufa period. Something tells me if JJ was snatched up, the team would have carried on.

They “targeted” him for what? Did he provide any veteran leadership? No. Was he some pk guru? No. Did he honestly do anything outside of take penalties and look like a former NHler trying to hang on? No. So basically they targeted him to be an easy person to dump if need be. I’m not sure that’s a transaction to put on your resume. You want to say it was an inconsequential signing so be it. But I think it was a dumb signing and you replied with “perfect signing” so yeah, I find that a bit much. It’s all good though. Different strokes for different folks.

Hope this means Hajek has gained Quinns trust. I think he's going to turn out to be a bottom six, two way Dman.

I think he's been pretty solid honestly. I don't think there's room for him long term with all the prospects in the system but for the time being he's perfectly fine.

I think he's been pretty solid honestly. I don't think there's room for him long term with all the prospects in the system but for the time being he's perfectly fine.

I agree with that. He’s young which is good though so still time to surprise further as well

Davidson had a history with JJ, so he took a chance that IMO should never have happened. If you wanted a safety net, they had better AND cheaper options at the time.

I’m just glad the Rangers admitted their mistake early enough and didn’t let it drag the entire season.

Davidson had a history with JJ, so he took a chance that IMO should never have happened. If you wanted a safety net, they had better AND cheaper options at the time.

I’m just glad the Rangers admitted their mistake early enough and didn’t let it drag the entire season.

Except for the fact the Johnson played pretty well in his limited role.

Except for the fact the Johnson played pretty well in his limited role.

Started off real shaky but he settled in the longer the season went on.

Like someone else said they got a veteran guy on a good 1 year deal to come in as an insurance policy. This wasnt them giving smith a 4 year deal.

Like someone else also said I dont think this means we wont see him the rest of the season- it was likely a move to make space for Kravtsov

Johnson was terrible. We've just been trained to accept terrible as acceptable. Traits of a losing franchise.

We brought him in to be a #6/7 guy, and at that level, it's quite literally "be serviceable, don't cost us"

I think he meets that line pretty regularly. He's a poor possession player, which really hurts a team like ours that in theory thrives on actually having the puck.

Not my first choice, but he wasn't near as bad as we'd thought he would be.