• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn is "Sweating profusely," in ESPN+ Head Coaching Hot Seat Heat Index

Phil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s done

Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance he's fired in season. The season is half over and, by that measure, almost over. Thank god.

The offense is completely inept. It's not just Zib. They don't sustain any pressure. Even on the PP.

Get rid of him before trade deadline, bring in new coach. Trade the players that need to go, bring in players that are needed. Use the rest of the season to create structure and gel together.

I agree but that time has passed. He gets the season at least. It sucks. There will be 10 excuses why it’s not his fault but all that does is mask his incompetence. He’s not an NHL coach but guys in charge have staked their trust in him unfortunately.

I agree but that time has passed. He gets the season at least. It sucks. There will be 10 excuses why it’s not his fault but all that does is mask his incompetence. He’s not an NHL coach but guys in charge have staked their trust in him unfortunately.

JD hasn't. JD was brought in with everything that's currently in place. If he doesn't think DQ is the right fit, he'll be gone at the end of the season.

IMO it's clear how much Panarin and Mika covered up last season.

If there's a team for JD to put his own stamp on the head coach, now is it. JD said the right things about him, but he wasn't his pick and he's just not working. I know it's a tough division and all that, but they are just playing a terrible brand of hockey and still look unprepared most of the time now three years running.

Give the GM duties to Drury who they've always been high on, maybe bring in Gallant to coach, and I'd feel a little better about things. If they do make a coaching change in season, I fear they would just have Jacques Martin do it since he's already in house and has a lot of experience, obviously. But, with some solid coaching candidates out there, they really shouldn't waste time.

Quinn says all the right things about north and south, and going to the net every postgame. But against superior teams, ever since last summer vs. the Canes, this team defaults to the perimeter. It's telling because Quinn like everyone knows the playoffs are always going to a more grind it out game than the regular season. With Zib failing and Panarin not here doing their own thing, it's glaring. With the intradivision schedule this eyar, it's more like the playoffs every night. NYR have a roster of a lot of skilled forwards. There is no Tkacuk brother here.

But Quinn has added very little in value to turn this around. Unless they make an offer to some coach they covet like Gallant right now, this decision will be made at the end of the season.

Bottom line; right now anyway barring some major improvements within this group (which is not likely) the roster is flawed no matter who the coach is.They aren't winning with this group. So some trades are inevitable. Superficially anway the EIchel deal may make sense. But from afar he seems like a pouty whiny shit rather than a piss&vinegar physical presence.

Quinn says all the right things about north and south, and going to the net every postgame. But against superior teams, ever since last summer vs. the Canes, this team defaults to the perimeter. It's telling because Quinn like everyone knows the playoffs are always going to a more grind it out game than the regular season. With Zib failing and Panarin not here doing their own thing, it's glaring. With the intradivision schedule this eyar, it's more like the playoffs every night. NYR have a roster of a lot of skilled forwards. There is no Tkacuk brother here.

But Quinn has added very little in value to turn this around. Unless they make an offer to some coach they covet like Gallant right now, this decision will be made at the end of the season.

Bottom line; right now anyway barring some major improvements within this group (which is not likely) the roster is flawed no matter who the coach is.They aren't winning with this group. So some trades are inevitable. Superficially anway the EIchel deal may make sense. But from afar he seems like a pouty whiny shit rather than a piss&vinegar physical presence.

So do most players in his position. They haven't just missed the playoffs for going on a sixth season since Eichel has been there, but are missing in miserable fashion. He's had three NHL coaches, and will probably play for a fourth before this year ends. Everyone has a breaking point. He's clearly reached his.

That said, Eichel is the x-factor in a coaching change discussion IMO. He has serious history with Jack going back to BU, so if the Rangers are serious about acquiring him (and do), and miss the playoffs as we expect, I can actually see them giving him a vote of confidence going into the off-season with perhaps the shortest leash of his tenure here to start the year. There's no way they don't want to see if that relationship can't salvage Eichel's play and the Rangers' play together.

That said, give me John Tortorella. Stat.

So do most players in his position. They haven't just missed the playoffs for going on a sixth season since Eichel has been there, but are missing in miserable fashion. He's had three NHL coaches, and will probably play for a fourth before this year ends. Everyone has a breaking point. He's clearly reached his.

That said, Eichel is the x-factor in a coaching change discussion IMO. He has serious history with Jack going back to BU, so if the Rangers are serious about acquiring him (and do), and miss the playoffs as we expect, I can actually see them giving him a vote of confidence going into the off-season with perhaps the shortest leash of his tenure here to start the year. There's no way they don't want to see if that relationship can't salvage Eichel's play and the Rangers' play together.

If the Rangers are a lottery team in the draft & Eichel is available, then I'd consider trading for him.

That said, give me John Tortorella. Stat.

That seems utterly ridiculous.

You have a coach who clearly isn’t up to snuff, but you’re going to give him the benefit of the doubt because you’re trading for a guy who played for him for 1 year? In college, as an 18 year old child, 7 years ago?

The fact he knows Eichel doesn’t change anything imo.

That seems utterly ridiculous.

You have a coach who clearly isn’t up to snuff, but you’re going to give him the benefit of the doubt because you’re trading for a guy who played for him for 1 year? In college, as an 18 year old child, 7 years ago?

The fact he knows Eichel doesn’t change anything imo.

No, I'd have fired him already. I'm saying I think the Rangers might hold off on pulling that trigger if they land Eichel sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Man this is bad. It's like watching a fallen horse at the races with everyone waiting for the guy with the rifle to arrive and put him down.

What sucks is I actually like Quinn. I'll feel bad for the guy when the rifleman arrives, even though I know it's the right thing to do.