• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can Julien Gauthier Adapt and Carve Out a Role?

Phil

I don't entirely blame Quinn for the lack of production from young players - they're not getting prime production minutes, and bluntly, given last year's outcomes, why would you be trotting out anyone but Panarin, Zib, Fox, Kreider, and Buch on that first unit? They were LETHAL last year. Mika being constantly off-kilter this year is messing with it. I don't mind them taking 85% of all PP time when they're converting like last year, but they're just not.

It's time to start messing with that first unit. I think you have to stick with Zib, Panarin, and Fox, but it's time to get Laf and Kakko in for Buch and Kreider on the first unit. They're begging for goals, and especially in Laf's case, fighting for and winning pucks. I think when Chytil is back, you trot him out with Buch, Kreider, Miller, and Strome/Trouba (if you feel like you need someone blasting the puck, take Trouba, else take Strome or even Howden/Gauthier).

I don't entirely blame Quinn for the lack of production from young players - they're not getting prime production minutes, and bluntly, given last year's outcomes, why would you be trotting out anyone but Panarin, Zib, Fox, Kreider, and Buch on that first unit? They were LETHAL last year. Mika being constantly off-kilter this year is messing with it. I don't mind them taking 85% of all PP time when they're converting like last year, but they're just not.

It's time to start messing with that first unit. I think you have to stick with Zib, Panarin, and Fox, but it's time to get Laf and Kakko in for Buch and Kreider on the first unit. They're begging for goals, and especially in Laf's case, fighting for and winning pucks. I think when Chytil is back, you trot him out with Buch, Kreider, Miller, and Strome/Trouba (if you feel like you need someone blasting the puck, take Trouba, else take Strome or even Howden/Gauthier).

Strome, not Buch, last season.

Strome had a 4-game point streak and was taken off the 1st unit.

Regardless, the PP hasnt looked good all season. They had a few goals, but even those weren't from the PP unit being effective.

I think you split up Panarin and Zibanejad. I also move Fox away from Panarin, as he defers to him too much, IMO

Strome, not Buch, last season.

Strome had a 4-game point streak and was taken off the 1st unit.

Regardless, the PP hasnt looked good all season. They had a few goals, but even those weren't from the PP unit being effective.

I think you split up Panarin and Zibanejad. I also move Fox away from Panarin, as he defers to him too much, IMO

I honestly don't think the fifth guy matters too much on that unit, but yeah, it was Strome last year.

That's the other way you go about it. I'm more for getting folks to cash in on rebounds, but you could also spread the threat more evenly.

I honestly don't think the fifth guy matters too much on that unit, but yeah, it was Strome last year.

That's the other way you go about it. I'm more for getting folks to cash in on rebounds, but you could also spread the threat more evenly.

Then its not a Power Play.

If they plan to use the umbrella, they need guys that can take one timers from the side boards - they've used Strome and Panarin on the right side, and they cant get off one timers, so they're not a shooting threat.

From there, you decide which side is going to run the PP. The guy in the middle needs to be a right/left handed shot based on that. So if its Panarin as the puck carrier on the left, you need a left in the middle to take a one-timer.

So the Rangers PP has mostly been.

Kreider in Front

Panarin on the left side (can shoot)

Zibanejad in the middle (cant shoot)

Fox on the point

Strome on the right (cant shoot)

When they stand, and dont move their feet, its incredibly easy to defend.

The only way I see him getting more ice time is if he earns more ice time. If he was a goal scorer at every level of play, I'd hope that at some point he'd be able to bury a chance or two that he still gets when he's on the ice. He hasn't.

I just think they defer WAY too much on the PP. They have to get more shots through to the net, and get some deflections/rebounds and get the defense scrambling. That's my take.

They have trouble getting shots on net on the PP because they aren't in a position to shoot. Zibanejad on the left boards gets shaded, so no chance to one time there. Fox at the top passing to a righty Panarin on the right boards is not a one timing position. Panarin has to accept the pass and figure out what to do. In the meantime, the opposing PK has time to slide over and take away shooting and passing lanes. This is a terrible PP setup, and it's frustrating to see it. They need a lefty on the right boards to threaten one timers on that side of the ice, which would have a two pronged effect. 1) One timer potential on the left, and 2) opposing PKs can't cheat and shade all the way over to Zibanejad on the left boards when Fox has the puck at the top. It's insane that no adjustment has been made here.

Then its not a Power Play.

If they plan to use the umbrella, they need guys that can take one timers from the side boards - they've used Strome and Panarin on the right side, and they cant get off one timers, so they're not a shooting threat.

From there, you decide which side is going to run the PP. The guy in the middle needs to be a right/left handed shot based on that. So if its Panarin as the puck carrier on the left, you need a left in the middle to take a one-timer.

So the Rangers PP has mostly been.

Kreider in Front

Panarin on the left side (can shoot)

Zibanejad in the middle (cant shoot)

Fox on the point

Strome on the right (cant shoot)

When they stand, and dont move their feet, its incredibly easy to defend.

They have trouble getting shots on net on the PP because they aren't in a position to shoot. Zibanejad on the left boards gets shaded, so no chance to one time there. Fox at the top passing to a righty Panarin on the right boards is not a one timing position. Panarin has to accept the pass and figure out what to do. In the meantime, the opposing PK has time to slide over and take away shooting and passing lanes. This is a terrible PP setup, and it's frustrating to see it. They need a lefty on the right boards to threaten one timers on that side of the ice, which would have a two pronged effect. 1) One timer potential on the left, and 2) opposing PKs can't cheat and shade all the way over to Zibanejad on the left boards when Fox has the puck at the top. It's insane that no adjustment has been made here.

I agree with you guys, and it's frustrating to sit there and watch them pass it all over the place and get nothing to the net. The left handed shot on the right side, may very well be what's needed.

On top of that, we're still losing not only initial faceoffs in the offensive zone on the PP, but also possession....that kills at least 25 seconds just chasing it down, and then breaking in again.....and Josh, All night I'm screaming at the TV..."MOVE FOR HIM!"

....Fucking TV never listens!!!!:rofl:

We all want to see Lafreniere play first line minutes ,but I do t think he is ready for it ,he not use to the physical play constant grinding at this level ,he will wear out ,I think they are breaking him in to last the whole season

We all want to see Lafreniere play first line minutes ,but I do t think he is ready for it ,he not use to the physical play constant grinding at this level ,he will wear out ,I think they are breaking him in to last the whole season

Islanders had a defenseman attached to his hip all night. That happens when you play with Howden and Di Geppetto.

He doesnt have to play first line minutes, but he needs to be put in a spot to be successful. They didnt draft a 3rd line grinder, yet that's how he's utilized. Just put him with offensive players. Dont mess with offense, Quinn.

Islanders had a defenseman attached to his hip all night. That happens when you play with Howden and Di Geppetto.

He doesnt have to play first line minutes, but he needs to be put in a spot to be successful. They didnt draft a 3rd line grinder, yet that's how he's utilized. Just put him with offensive players. Dont mess with offense, Quinn.

I blame Quinn for the offensive third line center getting hurt. Also Kakko only played 17 minutes last night. Fire Quinn.

I blame Quinn for the offensive third line center getting hurt. Also Kakko only played 17 minutes last night. Fire Quinn.

Did I say Fire Quinn, Pete?

The team had another option for 3C, what happened to him? Oh, the same thats happening with Kakko and Lafreniere. See a pattern? Of course not.

The team had another option for 3C, what happened to him? Oh, the same thats happening with Kakko and Lafreniere. See a pattern? Of course not.

Do you mean Lias Andersson? A player who has shown little development and is currently one of the worst players on one of the worst teams in the league. A player who largely caused his own downfall and then tried pinning it on others. A player largely undesirable that the only team willing to give up something of value for him was the one his father worked for. That "3C?"

Am I missing what's wrong with telling a player who was largely deficient, in even the most simple aspects of the game, to try not to overcomplicate his game? Kakko wasn't succeeding at plays that Phil Di Giuseppe can make. Should he really be trying to dipsy-doodle? Kakko needed to learn how to make the simple plays work, and look at that now he's actually playing better because he's actually executing on those. Crazy, right?

Did I say Fire Quinn, Pete?

I'm not Pete. I didn't say you said fire Quinn. I quoted you because you complained that Quinn isn't putting Laf with offensive players, while he has no choice because his offensive 3C is injured.

What's the pattern? Andersson is the Kings 4th line center. Kakko is in the top 6 and playing his most complete NHL hockey to date.

I'm not Pete. I didn't say you said fire Quinn. I quoted you because you complained that Quinn isn't putting Laf with offensive players, while he has no choice because his offensive 3C is injured.

What's the pattern? Andersson is the Kings 4th line center. Kakko is in the top 6 and playing his most complete NHL hockey to date.

You literally typed "Fire Quinn" in a sarcastic response.