• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 WJC Gold Medal Game: USA vs Canada • 9:30 P.M. EST

Phil

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. They were talking like this team would go in with the two other dream teams. That seems silly, now. They may not have iced a single 1st line NHLer.

Well, when u roll through a tourney playing crap this is what happens. Goes to my thought that this is a fairly meaningless thing. I didn’t want any Ranger ready to make the team available for this. Still don’t remotely understand how Chicago let Dach play.....now he’s out for the year. Nuts. Should be non NHL experience only, 4 teams invited, and any club that rejects to their property gets their wish.

Sure, then any club could not release their player. Why should a SHL, or KHL team have to release their property?

Why release anybody for the Olympics?

If you don't think it means anything, fine, but I wouldn't tell that to Bowen Byram by the look of his face, post game.

20% of Finland watched their Quarters game. It obviously means something to them.

Bowen?s face along with quite a few others told a story - this is hugely meaningful. Bigger outside the USA by an order of magnitude. I?m interested to see TV ratings if they?re released tomorrow. Overall I bet it will be impressive as hockey fans everywhere got to see some hi-skill action. But I expect USA numbers to be unimpressive too.

Sure, then any club could not release their player. Why should a SHL, or KHL team have to release their property?

Why release anybody for the Olympics?

If you don't think it means anything, fine, but I wouldn't tell that to Bowen Byram by the look of his face, post game.

20% of Finland watched their Quarters game. It obviously means something to them.

Bowen?s face along with quite a few others told a story - this is hugely meaningful. Bigger outside the USA by an order of magnitude. I?m interested to see TV ratings if they?re released tomorrow. Overall I bet it will be impressive as hockey fans everywhere got to see some hi-skill action. But I expect USA numbers to be unimpressive too.
Byram hasn't played in the NHL.

Ask Dach what he thinks about missing an entire season of NHL development to play 20 minutes of WJC.

Canada came out flat in the first, thinking they had already won. They didnt look anything like the Canada we saw all tournament.

By the time the third came around, they were in a panic - a position they had never been in, and it showed. It was a replay of the 1980 semis, where Russia was still dominating play but it wasnt their game. Canada was kept to the outside, and seemed to be fine with it. USA took away the middle of the ice, and it shut down the Canadian offense. All Canada had to do was stop the puck hog and they'd shut down the US. They didnt seem to focus on Zegras very much as they should have - again, came in too cocky.

Berard - nice to see the energy, but outside his 2 or 3 shifts, and 1 rush per game, he needs a lot of work. His position off-the-puck is questionable, and he really slowed down as the tournament went on. He's not going to be able to sustain that play for multiple games at the NHL level, any time soon. But that's what you target with 5th round picks. Still a good sign to see him on the team after his draft year with a bunch of 2019 first round picks.

Schneider - struggled early in that game, nerves? Overall, a good tournament.

I thought Schneider was good. Couple bad handles offensively, but I really think he's a much better version of Robertson. I dare say there's a little Keith/Weber in there.

Byram was just magnificent, they leaned on that pair too much, but can't blame them.

Best Canadian forward was Dawson Mercer.

Will they? Byfield is a massive project, I'd be a bit worried if I were LA from what I saw.

I was firmly in the Stutzle over Byfield camp. We'll see how that pans out, but right now Stutzle looks more promising.

Eh, the draft isn't about who's better today, it's about who'll be better over a career. I kind of think these two will be neck and neck over the long haul.

A few random thoughts in no particular order:

1. North American hockey is in damn fine shape. The Canadians are still obviously the world standard, but what the USA Hockey National Team Development Program has achieved since 96 is damn impressive.

2. LOL @ the Florida Panthers having both goal keepers, hell of a problem to have.

3. Stutzle and Lundell are going to be really good

4. The State of California had a nice night from a prospect perspective.

5. I was ?\_(ツ)_/? when the Schneider pick was made.. Now I'm 100% on board. Great size, grit, noticeable.

Most importantly- I think this is a fantastic tournament.. A great tournament that I absolutely understand/endorse/applaud the Rangers not risking ALF or any rostered kid with WJ eligibility- they have played the tournament before, its time to be a pro.

• Like 1