• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers After Zdeno Chara?

Phil

I think you can actually make a good argument that Character would be more of a distraction. He’s a leader but he’s not going to come in and lead a new locker room. We just “passed the torch” by moving on from Henrik but would instead bring in Chara? No thanks. Let this team have its core and future without delaying it another year with a guy who’s locker room presence might hinder a developing leader.

I think you can actually make a good argument that Character would be more of a distraction. He’s a leader but he’s not going to come in and lead a new locker room. We just “passed the torch” by moving on from Henrik but would instead bring in Chara? No thanks. Let this team have its core and future without delaying it another year with a guy who’s locker room presence might hinder a developing leader.

A little hard to compare goalies with players when it comes to leadership, though. Henrik is an extremely focused guy that keeps to himself on game days. Not to mention everyone whining when he yells at a damn for blowing coverage.

Plus, Charas won a cup.

But, on a more serious note, this team could probably use a distraction. Lotta players with increased pressure this season. We don’t need everyone white knuckling all season.

$795,000

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And the Rangers gave Johnson HOW MUCH?

I saw Perry signed for something small like this. Would have been a nice fit for the lower lines or as a stop gap if they can't get a guy to fit with Panarin.

If they sign a bag of shit like Matt Martin and skipped guys like this, Ima be passed.

And the Rangers gave Johnson HOW MUCH?

I saw Perry signed for something small like this. Would have been a nice fit for the lower lines or as a stop gap if they can't get a guy to fit with Panarin.

If they sign a bag of shit like Matt Martin and skipped guys like this, Ima be passed.

Firstly, I'd love them to sign Martin. He fills a need. He's basically the one guy I've wanted them to get all along.

Second, just because someone's cheap doesn't mean it's a good signing. Chara is 43 going on 44 this season. He was slow and old-looking last season. I don't think it's a great loss to anyone that he's gone to Washington. Also to compare him to Jack Johnson's contract like it's some horrendous contract is hilarious. It's 250k difference, the equivalent of peanuts by NHL standards.

Thirdly, can't get a guy to fit with Panarin? Perry was horrible last year until he got 6 months off and came back for playoffs. Panarin had a career year last year playing with Jesper Fast. I think he'll be fine.

Firstly, I'd love them to sign Martin. He fills a need. He's basically the one guy I've wanted them to get all along.

Second, just because someone's cheap doesn't mean it's a good signing. Chara is 43 going on 44 this season. He was slow and old-looking last season. I don't think it's a great loss to anyone that he's gone to Washington. Also to compare him to Jack Johnson's contract like it's some horrendous contract is hilarious. It's 250k difference, the equivalent of peanuts by NHL standards.

Thirdly, can't get a guy to fit with Panarin? Perry was horrible last year until he got 6 months off and came back for playoffs. Panarin had a career year last year playing with Jesper Fast. I think he'll be fine.

I agree here.

There's also a lot of people on this board who actually watched Jack Johnson play maybe 5 minutes of hockey last season.

Whiffing hard on a million dollar security blanket would be the least of our issues this season. Like always, amount of whining is not proportionate to the level of the move.

There's also a lot of people that are discarding Chara as completely useless and I just don't think that's true. As a one year 750-795k I'll take my chances here I would bet 3/4's of the league would take Chara especially if there's no young kid being blocked. I mean there's some comments here about him being a garbage +/- player (no matter what that stat means or doesn't) he's never been that and was far far from being bad even last season, so who's being more unrealistic? I have a hard time trashing a guy even a dinosaur who missed how many games with a broken jaw?

I'm not even saying the Rangers should of signed him but given the choice between the two for the same deal?

In my opinion, Matt Martin is shit. If he comes here it BETTER be for league minimum. I'd rather employ a player who can do more than just agitate and barely fight. I mean we already have Lemieux. Atleast maybe HE can pk, where as Martin is just a punk. I'll never understand why people want that guy here.

Johnson signed for 1,150,000.. its a 350k difference and Chara even at his age is still the better player. There's zero baggage with the future HOFer, and he 'd fill the need for stay at home D man on the left side, that CAN slide up.

Johnson hasn't been good in how long? He doesn't bring much to the table. Even if Chara is completely done, he atleast brings leadership.

On Panarin... Imagine the numbers Panarin and Strome would have had if they had a player BETTER than Fast on the other wing,, whom didn't out produce Perry by much while playing 10 more games and spending much of the season with a guy having a career year....

Stathead shows

"Player Comparison: Corey Perry vs. Jesper Fast | Stathead.com" https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=perryco01&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id2=fastje01&p2yrfrom=2020

Fast- 69 game played 12 goals 17 assists, 20 PIM, 1146 TOI

Perry- 57 games played, 5 goals, 16 assists, 70 PIM, 782 TOI

Let's not act like Fast was any serious component of that line. Hopefully Kakko can fit that line somehow. Since he likes to carry the puck, I'm not sure that will work. So Gauthier may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe Chytil? I want him playing center, but I think he's the best fit with how he plays. IDK, maybe rotate Chytil and Strome as centers to give the kid the experience/chance? Only problem with that, is it leaves Kakko without a decent center to play with if Chytil moves to wing..

ANYWAY,

With Strome being a possible question mark as a flash in the pan, the Rangers ABSOLUTELY need to get a decent winger to stick on the other side of Panarin. Maybe they have that with Kakko, which im really hoping they try for long stretches. But if they don't, its slim picking. Nevermind that Perry ALSO brings leadership, grit and obvious playoff performance with him. Perfect fit for the bottom 6 black hole that is the Rangers.

Give me Perry as a role player depth guy over the shit they signed any day. Would have cost the same.

Maybe they can get one of the remaining free agents to come in on a dirt contract or PTO.

I'd take any of:

Grabner

Abdelkader

Boedker

Brassard

And most definitely Travis Harmonie on one of these 750k one year deals. And yes even Brian frikken Boyle.

They need better depth.

In my opinion, Matt Martin is shit. If he comes here it BETTER be for league minimum. I'd rather employ a player who can do more than just agitate and barely fight. I mean we already have Lemieux. Atleast maybe HE can pk, where as Martin is just a punk. I'll never understand why people want that guy here.

Johnson signed for 1,150,000.. its a 350k difference and Chara even at his age is still the better player. There's zero baggage with the future HOFer, and he 'd fill the need for stay at home D man on the left side, that CAN slide up.

Johnson hasn't been good in how long? He doesn't bring much to the table. Even if Chara is completely done, he atleast brings leadership.

On Panarin... Imagine the numbers Panarin and Strome would have had if they had a player BETTER than Fast on the other wing,, whom didn't out produce Perry by much while playing 10 more games and spending much of the season with a guy having a career year....

Stathead shows

"Player Comparison: Corey Perry vs. Jesper Fast | Stathead.com" https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=perryco01&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id2=fastje01&p2yrfrom=2020

Fast- 69 game played 12 goals 17 assists, 20 PIM, 1146 TOI

Perry- 57 games played, 5 goals, 16 assists, 70 PIM, 782 TOI

Let's not act like Fast was any serious component of that line. Hopefully Kakko can fit that line somehow. Since he likes to carry the puck, I'm not sure that will work. So Gauthier may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe Chytil? I want him playing center, but I think he's the best fit with how he plays. IDK, maybe rotate Chytil and Strome as centers to give the kid the experience/chance? Only problem with that, is it leaves Kakko without a decent center to play with if Chytil moves to wing..

ANYWAY,

With Strome being a possible question mark as a flash in the pan, the Rangers ABSOLUTELY need to get a decent winger to stick on the other side of Panarin. Maybe they have that with Kakko, which im really hoping they try for long stretches. But if they don't, its slim picking. Nevermind that Perry ALSO brings leadership, grit and obvious playoff performance with him. Perfect fit for the bottom 6 black hole that is the Rangers.

Give me Perry as a role player depth guy over the shit they signed any day. Would have cost the same.

Maybe they can get one of the remaining free agents to come in on a dirt contract or PTO.

I'd take any of:

Grabner

Abdelkader

Boedker

Brassard

And most definitely Travis Harmonie on one of these 750k one year deals. And yes even Brian frikken Boyle.

They need better depth.

I'm not comparing Fast to Perry. You are. I think both players stink. Your point was to sign Perry to play with Panarin when Panarin played with a traffic cone last year and put up career numbers. If they want to put him with a better winger, we have Kakko and Buch. Perry wouldn't be able to keep up.

I'm not comparing Fast to Perry. You are. I think both players stink. Your point was to sign Perry to play with Panarin when Panarin played with a traffic cone last year and put up career numbers. If they want to put him with a better winger, we have Kakko and Buch. Perry wouldn't be able to keep up.

Read again. I wanted to sign Perry for depth incase Kakko, Gauthier, or even Chytil can't click and produce as we all expect them to at this point. These players have a chance to put up some crazy numbers by playing with Panarin. If they don't a vet with size and the ability to produce in the playoffs is a wise addition when it costs league minimum.

I took your comment of Panarin having a career year playing with Fast as you thinking Fast either had a part in it, or that the Rangers couldn't use production from that spot. Imagine the year he could have if he had a better player on his other wing.. I'd think Perry is a better fit than Fast, IF these kids can't take this opportunity and run.