• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Qualify Ryan Strome; Still Have Big Decision Regarding Long-Term Future

Scott

So there?s this. Vally asked ALF if he would be open to playing center. Yes, I get he would say anything but still. He said he played some before and he did seem a bit more open than I would have thought. A lot of reports are he plays a lot more in the center of the ice than outside like many other wingers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there’s this. Vally asked ALF if he would be open to playing center. Yes, I get he would say anything but still. He said he played some before and he did seem a bit more open than I would have thought. A lot of reports are he plays a lot more in the center of the ice than outside like many other wingers.

He should be a center imo. He plays just like one in the neutral zone and offensive zone. Only difference would be defensive coverages.

Yup. Sure sounds that way. Wonder if they use him to get into the second round?

Ottawa is just loaded with picks. They had 3 picks in the 1st and still have 4 picks in the 2nd, though two of those are at the end of the round. They have a bunch of picks next year including 3 in the 2nd.

I guessed this in the lineup thread:

To Senators: Ryan Strome, Dal 3rd

To Rangers: CBJ 2nd, Dal 2nd

Strome and #92 for #52 and #61

Only thing is though, if they trade Strome and don't have another trade lined up for a center, that would probably mean either Chytil moves up or Lafreniere gets a stab at it. Maybe they're looking at a guy like Granlund in Free Agency? Down year last year, but he's a better player than Strome. Depends on cost.

I can see giving LaFreniere some spot duty at Center from time to time just to see how he might cotton to it, but I can't see sticking a 19 year old, no matter who is, with the responsibility of a new position on a consistent basis.

Really think it was a no brainer. They can walk away if he goes to arbitration and its over 4.5m so why the hell not?

Agreed, Keirik...and I'll go as far as to bet they have a back up plan if he isn't part of the team this year.

I actually like Strome though, and would like to see him again this season. He worked really well with Panarin, and there's something to be said about their chemistry together.....I know it's all about cost and term though, so we'll see how it shakes out. Either way, I think we're covered though ;)

Strome is getting raked over the coals here to be honest. If the game plan is to trade him, I don't see how that comment helps his value. If the game plan is to keep him, that comment seems to kind of show a lack of faith in him moving forward.

So where does that leave this?

I don't think it hurts his value. He's qualified. He can either play here and get a 1 year deal, pad his stats with Panarin or get traded and some other team can deal with his arbitration. Comment doesn't show lack of faith, but it's realistic. He's owed a raise and they don't really feel like paying it. but clearly they're not giving him away for free or else they would have instead of qualifying him.

• Like 1

It's a business and it's due diligence.

Strome is a good player. Rangers probably feel the same way we do...Keep him, but within reason. They wanted to see if they got bowled over with an offer, they didn't. Useless to speculate until the info leaks on what was offered, and what they turned down.

I keep coming back to it...I think there is room to upgrade on Strome but no one here has shown me a deal that's a clear upgrade on Strome. No interest in trading him for a trending down or change of scenery type player. He's good enough to go into next year as the 2C. This is not a gaping wound that RW and LD is.

I don't think it hurts his value. He's qualified. He can either play here and get a 1 year deal, pad his stats with Panarin or get traded and some other team can deal with his arbitration. Comment doesn't show lack of faith, but it's realistic. He's owed a raise and they don't really feel like paying it. but clearly they're not giving him away for free or else they would have instead of qualifying him.

They don't feel like paying it ultimately means they don't think he's worth it. If that's not a lack of faith in him as a player, what is? For the record, I don't think he is worth it either.

They don't feel like paying it ultimately means they don't think he's worth it. If that's not a lack of faith in him as a player, what is? For the record, I don't think he is worth it either.

Yes, today. If he throws up another 70 point season...TBD.

Or it means that they realize that they're in a cap crunch and business is business. He's a middling player that you don't hitch your wagon to. Why should they pretend like he is?

Or it means that they realize that they're in a cap crunch and business is business. He's a middling player that you don't hitch your wagon to. Why should they pretend like he is?

They don't have to pretend he is, but they don't have to publicly say it. If you don't trade him, he's a part of your team. That's how you get players sulking in the locker room.