• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wild Won't Re-Sign Mikko Koivu; Option for Rangers?

Phil

You can make the same point for Joe Thornton.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They fulfill entirely different purposes. Koivu kills penalties and has defensive acumen, he's suited for a bottom-six role. Thornton doesn't. He's more suited for an offensive role which the Rangers don't really need.

In a 4th line role with 12-13 minutes a night on a 1 year deal, it’s not a bad idea

I'd say it's a great one. His skills are clearly diminished, but the team needs help in a bunch of areas he checks boxes on — penalty killing, leadership, a Finnish friend for Kakko, veteran experience, warrior mentality, etc.

Strome isn't their third- or fourth-line center. Chytil (who is almost certainly a winger) and Howden (who sucks) are.

This would have little to no impact on their search for an impact 2C.

why are you so fast to throw the towel in on Howden? The guy is 22. Not saying he'll be a rock star but how do we really know what he is?

I'd say it's a great one. His skills are clearly diminished, but the team needs help in a bunch of areas he checks boxes on — penalty killing, leadership, a Finnish friend for Kakko, veteran experience, warrior mentality, etc.

Seriously, I know people think this is a joke, but if you want Kakko to develop you need him to be comfortable. I felt like they threw him to the wolves last year. I'd feel so much better if they get a vet like Koivu in here to walk him into the next phase of his career.

Seriously, I know people think this is a joke, but if you want Kakko to develop you need him to be comfortable. I felt like they threw him to the wolves last year. I'd feel so much better if they get a vet like Koivu in here to walk him into the next phase of his career.

Yea not a bad mentor either. I?m all for it for a 4th line role at the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

why are you so fast to throw the towel in on Howden? The guy is 22. Not saying he'll be a rock star but how do we really know what he is?

Youth isn't an skill set. He does nothing well. He has no defined role. He's a warm body and there's nothing we've seen from him yet that suggests that's going to magically change just because he's a year older.

Why would the Rangers be an attractive destination for a 37 year old if he is looking to win a Cup?

I am hoping we add somebody that can grow with our young group. Cap space is king in this environment and a 37 year old is not the bargain I am looking for.

Because, depending on exactly what moves are made this offseason, the playoffs are certainly a reasonable projection for next season. There's a lot of talent coming in at once. A few key free agent signings and or a trade or two to shore up deficiencies and there's no reason this team can't be a competitive wildcard.

Because, depending on exactly what moves are made this offseason, the playoffs are certainly a reasonable projection for next season. There's a lot of talent coming in at once. A few key free agent signings and or a trade or two to shore up deficiencies and there's no reason this team can't be a competitive wildcard.

If I was looking for a final chance at a Cup I would be looking for a better landing spot than a team that has a reasonable projection to make the playoffs depending on offseason moves.

Only attractive part I see is if there is some Finnish connection to Kakko that we are unaware of.

Why would the Rangers be an attractive destination for a 37 year old if he is looking to win a Cup?

I am hoping we add somebody that can grow with our young group. Cap space is king in this environment and a 37 year old is not the bargain I am looking for.

Marcus Naslund, Dan Boyle and a slew of other old guys have come here without the promise of a cup. It's really no different in this scenario.

If I was looking for a final chance at a Cup I would be looking for a better landing spot than a team that has a reasonable projection to make the playoffs depending on offseason moves.

Only attractive part I see is if there is some Finnish connection to Kakko that we are unaware of.

If that's his only goal, I agree. It may not be. One thing New York offers, like Toronto, is absolutely top-tier player accommodations. We hear guys rave about the staff, the amenities, etc. every year. An oft-injured player like Koivu might even be attracted by the quality of the medical staff. He also may just really want to play in the Garden. There are tons of reasons a player may want to sign.