• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 | ECQF | Tampa Bay Lightning (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (7)

Who will win?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5
    • Blue Jackets in 6
    • Blue Jackets in 7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sucks that it ended the way it did with Gavrikov getting that puck high and play still going. Reminds me of a few years ago when Columbus lost a playoff game toi PIT when Werenski got a puck to the face and bled every where and they let play go.

I actually didnt think that Hedman play was a penalty, let alone a penalty shot. On first glance I thought they were gonna give it (would have been epic to see a penalty shot in the 5th OT) but I think he just out muscled him there, body on body.

sucks that it ended the way it did with Gavrikov getting that puck high and play still going. Reminds me of a few years ago when Columbus lost a playoff game toi PIT when Werenski got a puck to the face and bled every where and they let play go.

I actually didnt think that Hedman play was a penalty, let alone a penalty shot. On first glance I thought they were gonna give it (would have been epic to see a penalty shot in the 5th OT) but I think he just out muscled him there, body on body.

Yeah, I agree actually. It's tough to call a penalty shot there when it isn't clear cut.

I think they probably could have stopped the game with the Gavrikov incident, but again it's tough to blow the play dead when he doesn't make more of it than he did.

Atkinson looked gassed. He was caught by Hedman straight up.

These new rules create a two tiered system, though. There's black and white infractions like delay of game that are automatic no matter how cheesey, or how dreadful the timing is, operating at the same time the usual playoffs lack of calling any physical infractions is in full swing. Don't like it.

It wouldn?t be the NHL if this epic game didn?t end in controversy. First the breakaway by Atkinson, which was awfully similar to what Jones got a penalty for earlier in the game.

Then the puck to the face. Eeesh.

Really hated the end of that game and turned me sour on the whole event. Congrats it went to 5OT, but games that end like that suck.

Atkinson looked gassed. He was caught by Hedman straight up.

These new rules create a two tiered system, though. There's black and white infractions like delay of game that are automatic no matter how cheesey, or how dreadful the timing is, operating at the same time the usual playoffs lack of calling any physical infractions is in full swing. Don't like it.

It's not even the new rules. The refs don't want to call penalties in overtime unless they absolutely 100% have to. Things like stick infractions and clutching and grabbing they can turn a blind eye to. Things like puck over the glass they cannot, no matter how much they want to.

You really think in five overtimes there were really only two plays worth a penalty? One of them was a puck over the glass and the other was a high stick. By the 3rd overtime, the game was very reminiscent of the 90s with constant holding, hooking, and slashing. Every chase for a loose puck was just one guy rubbing another guy out. And they knew they could get away with it because the refs weren't calling shit.

I know the refs don't want to feel like they influenced the game by calling a penalty, but they influence the game by calling absolutely nothing. And then we wind up in a situation when there are five overtimes and the hockey is basically whittled down to firing shit shots from the perimeter and hoping it hits something in front.

I'm not even sure if the Atkinson play was a penalty. But their non-call was consistent with the rest of OT.

Five OTs was fun novelty, but give me refs doing their jobs by calling actual penalties so we don't have to endure shit tier hockey for hours.

Note: I'm not saying the refs should be calling absolutely everything. I'm advocating for them to be consistent from minute 1 to minute ∞ for whatever game management style they decide on.

I think there were not a lot of penalties called in OT because there were not a lot of clear infractions. This was in stark contrast to the 1987 4 OT game between the Islanders and Washington, which went on forever because blatant tackling wasn't called and it was thus impossible to score. No way that goal would have been scored without the injury. I hate to see a game like this end that way, but you can't stop play because a guy is banged up and not in immediate danger.